Nero maintenance/cleanup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andynero

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hey guys,
I just ran my Nero in some wet grass conditions and came back to a very messy cleanup.
Just wondering how you guys clean up after a wet/grassy bashing session. I know the Nero is waterproof so is it safe to just hose it down? And should I be drying it out or just let it dry after cleaning it with water?
Should I also be oiling some ballbearins or something?

Thanks
Andynero

none of the above...or some of the above...

yes...all waterproof...lightly hose off and hang dry...or not...

let it dry and blow off dirt and grass or what I can is my method ....

nero bearings are sealed...so any detailed bearing cleaning can wait till your (or the desired) maintenance interval as shown in the manual...

but as always...opinions and theories may vary...keep it clean and enjoy...or keep it somewhat dirty within reason...and enjoy...

common theme...enjoy...

The bearings I'm finding need TLC. They are metal shielded, not rubber sealed, so they can let dust in. A couple of my wheel bearings I found were not rotating freely due to being full of crud so I took them out for a soak and lube. I'm in the process of replacing all external bearings with sealed rubber ones from http://www.avidrc.com/.

The bearings I'm finding need TLC. They are metal shielded, not rubber sealed, so they can let dust in. A couple of my wheel bearings I found were not rotating freely due to being full of crud so I took them out for a soak and lube. I'm in the process of replacing all external bearings with sealed rubber ones from http://www.avidrc.com/.

good info on the bearings. ..my eyes saw something different....I didn't look close enough ..will be sure to swap out for sealed...

I just cleaned mine for the first time today. Used the air compressor and blew off almost all the dust, mud and pebbles. Then I picked out the rocks with toothpicks and cleaned the spots I couldn't get to with q-tips. Finally, I wiped the whole thing down with a damp cloth and it looks pretty good. The dirt guards definitely paid for themselves. Those things are beat to heck after only 4 runs.

Waterproof or not, I'm personally not a big fan of hosing down any RC. A better approace would be to use compressed air or an air compressor to blow all the big stuff off. Using this method would easily knock out all the grass, leaves, and so on.

To continue cleaning, I'd use a mixture of 50/50 water and Simple Green, let sit for a few minutes, then blow off with the above air compressor.

As for bearings, AvidRC are good as are FastEddyBearings and BocaBearings.

When I ran Nitro I always used denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. 0% water so you could spray it on everything to get the oil off. Then blow it all off with compressed air and spray the whole thing down with WD40 and wipe off the excess. The car would look brand new all the time. Here's the catch, and its a big one: You have to remove ALL of the electronics before using this 2 step chemical strip and rejuvenate process. Easy on a nitro car or monster truck, not so much on what we're talking about here. While nitro cars are filthy to run, they are a lot easier to clean up.

I was looking today at Dusty Motors shrouds, I would love to have one that fits, it's a bit hard to clean the Nero without taking it apart.
Has anyone tried to see if one can be adapted to fit? If not I might give it a try in the near future, worst case I'll use it on another Rc if it doesn't fit.

ha ha...yeah...dirt guards seem to be the good accessory to have...one member...can't remember who...says his rear shafts look sand blasted..ha ha ..

Yep! I gotta get the guards! My rear shafts were totally pitted after just a couple of runs

Waterproof or not, I'm personally not a big fan of hosing down any RC. A better approace would be to use compressed air or an air compressor to blow all the big stuff off. Using this method would easily knock out all the grass, leaves, and so on.

To continue cleaning, I'd use a mixture of 50/50 water and Simple Green, let sit for a few minutes, then blow off with the above air compressor.

I'm putting an air compressor on my Christmas list
Been using canned compressed air, too much

Speaking of air compressors, any recommendations? How much PSI?

I use a pancake compressor and I have to let it build a little but it gets up the pressure enough for spraying off the rc. I have also seen the little jet blaster air blower on Cowrc. I am not sure how well it works but it would be portable so you could take it with you.
For cleaning it depends on what is on it.
First I try the air compressor, that usually gets off small debris and loose dirt.
If it is still dirty I use a toothbrush dipped in soap and water. I get to inspect everything at this time also.
After that I lube the car with the blaster dry lubricant.

I use a pancake compressor and I have to let it build a little but it gets up the pressure enough for spraying off the rc. I have also seen the little jet blaster air blower on Cowrc. I am not sure how well it works but it would be portable so you could take it with you.
For cleaning it depends on what is on it.
First I try the air compressor, that usually gets off small debris and loose dirt.
If it is still dirty I use a toothbrush dipped in soap and water. I get to inspect everything at this time also.
After that I lube the car with the blaster dry lubricant.

What is blaster dry lubricant?

What is blaster dry lubricant?

Thank you!

IMG_0188.JPG
If you're using this just for RC then I wouldn't go crazy on one and just but something small like a pancake compressor or something bigger like this 8 gallon compressor.

Lol! It was sitting right next to my bench. Seems to work fine blowing all the loose stuff out.
Anyone see a problem using this?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back