Kraton Nero motor in Kraton, anyone tried with stock BLX 185 ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to revisit/update the Nero motor with BLX185 ESC. As you guys probably know, specs are very similar between the BLX185 and Nero BLX200 ESC. Think I took a bad gamble choosing to cut my motor wires/leads and swap 5.5 mm Nero connector for 4 mm to fit all my 185 ESCs. Really should have cut ESC side and placed 5.5's on the 185 ESC. While this combo has worked fine in the Kraton, my Outcast has began to really heat up and has started cutting out on me. It will resume working after a bit, but motor temps have jumped to 160-175F with identical gearing and setup in Outcast as I'm running in the Kraton, ESC hits115-130F. Only difference is I run 100k center diff fluid in the Outcast, 200k in the Kraton. In any case, pretty sure I upset the motor timing by altering the wires. Just throwing this out there as an FYI.

@Rich Duperbash I don't know if you saw but there's another thread on here, the blx 200 esc is on sale from Tower hobbies. I swore I was going to keep stock electronics but between that sale and threads like this I caved and ordered an entire blx 200 system.

@Rich Duperbash I don't know if you saw but there's another thread on here, the blx 200 esc is on sale from Tower hobbies. I swore I was going to keep stock electronics but between that sale and threads like this I caved and ordered an entire blx 200 system.
Thanks bro, I did see that. I may just get one or consider changing to proper 5.5 connectors. Just wanted to get the word out about not altering the motor side wires. Even if cut equal lengths, think the timing is permanently altered in a negative way causing the motor to overwork/overheat too easily.

Just bought Nero motor for my Kraton, I'm changing the motor to 6.5mm Castle bullets to connect with my MMX ESC. The Castle 2200kv motor was overheating my ESC with 15t pinion. I did an online calculator and it looks like I'll be in the good range with 2000kv motor on same gearing. I have all the Outcast guards on my Kraton, but even with vents in the front of the body the ESC was getting hot. The motor stayed in acceptable temp with a fan on it.

Just bought Nero motor for my Kraton, I'm changing the motor to 6.5mm Castle bullets to connect with my MMX ESC. The Castle 2200kv motor was overheating my ESC with 15t pinion. I did an online calculator and it looks like I'll be in the good range with 2000kv motor on same gearing. I have all the Outcast guards on my Kraton, but even with vents in the front of the body the ESC was getting hot. The motor stayed in acceptable temp with a fan on it.
I removed my Outcast mudguards for better airflow as soon as I noticed temps getting toasty. I'd recommend researching if you can desolder motor connectors to replace with 6.5s or just use 5.5s or an adapter on your ESC. I could be wrong, but I don't think these Nero motor wires can safely be shortened or otherwise altered. Just don't want you to have the issues I'm now experiencing with my Outcast. I think Castle wires can be cut without issue as well as sensored motor wires.

My Kraton with Senton BLX 185, Nero 2000 kv motor, 18t pinion. On-board temp gauge, Rpm front bumper, on front and rear.
20170315_222405.jpg
20170315_222328.jpg
20170308_145253.jpg
14899235383751341379440.jpg

My Kraton with Senton BLX 185, Nero 2000 kv motor, 18t pinion. On-board temp gauge, Rpm front bumper, on front and rear. View attachment 8812 View attachment 8813 View attachment 8814 View attachment 8815
Looks like a clean set up. Are those 5.5 to 4mm adapters you made and did you need to cut any motor wire or desolder and resolder? I just used Va-jeeper's suggestion and swapped my Kraton motor into my Outcast to test both and see if maybe it's a motor or platform issue. Rebuilt both center diffs and have 16 tooth in both now. Again my Kraton setup was doing fine with 18 tooth and same Backflip tires. Still using 200k center in Kraton, 100k in Outcast. All the bearings are checking out OK, too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back