Big Rock Nero / Nero Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoJT

Reaction score
I’m loving the Nero. I’m on the lookout for one on eBay. What are the reviews on this? It looks amazing. Sucks it’s discontinued.

What is the difference between the Nero & Nero Big rock?

Big rock has 'hd' parts body mounts are closer to the corners, body is thicker, driveshafts are slightly thicker I think, bumpers are different, springs are a different rate, rod ends are thicker, possibly more bits I cant remember.

Absolute tank but sadly also a unicorn.

I’m loving the Nero. I’m on the lookout for one on eBay. What are the reviews on this? It looks amazing. Sucks it’s discontinued.

Get one with the diff brain whichever one you get!

I’m really digging the Nero. Is it a bad idea to find one and use it as a primary RC? Or would it be safer to avoid this?

Green one is minus diff brain blue and br have diff brain
I may be mistaken but I think BR only comes with a black body. Nero is blue body w/diff brain, green is w/o diff brain.
I’m really digging the Nero. Is it a bad idea to find one and use it as a primary RC? Or would it be safer to avoid this?
I run mine 3-4 times a month bought it NIB July 2016 ?
1605626716774.jpeg

Last edited:
Can be challenging to work on. It totally lives up to what was advertised ?. Replacement parts have been wheels, bodies, spur gear, diff brain, Drive shaft sliders. Mud guards are definitely needed.

Last edited:

To add to what Woodentop and Cheez has stated, the anodizing on the aluminum TVPs and driveshaft sliders are the other obvious differences. Otherwise, everything else is the same. I prefer the Original Nero roll hoops over the Big Rock hoops, without the body.
Any luck yet? You'll love it as a primary basher, just don't send it too far/high on jumps cause it's heavy.

The Nero is a seriously fun bit of kit - I'd echo the above that it can be challenging to work on (way more so than current flat chassis models) but it's totally worth it. More than strong enough for skatepark bashing (less chassis slap than my Kraton / Outcast etc) - though I probably don't send it quite as high as some of my other cars!

Dude it has become vintage when Traxxas sued Arrma/Hobbico for Patent infringement some years ago. The Nero was supposedly similar to the Trx Revo. The shock design was used in RC for like 20 years and all was similar but actually was copied for many years by several other brands. A Lay down horizontal design. Actually no one owned the design, it was open, until Trx filed for a patent then sued Hobbico. Arrma almost disappeared as a result , but Horizon Hobby bought Arrma and the brand was saved at the last hour. Traxasss is known for patenting many open RC designs just to own them and cut out competition. Traxxas doesn't play nice with the general RC industry. A bad rep for sure. Many other RC brands agree.

I would not buy a vintage design truck for everyday use. I have vintage cars I bought like 30 years ago. They sit on the shelf. You will soon realize it was a complicated but superior design that now has no more parts support. Zero. Unless you want to live on EBay and pay out the $ass$ if you are even lucky enough to get parts. Arrma was forced to stop selling the Nero. And the Trx /Hobbico Lawsuit partly was responsible for putting Hobbico out of business. A huge RC company that originally owned Arrma/ Durango. Durango was similar to Arrma, a race bread version of Arrma brand that died out. Similar parts were shared by both and interchangeable. Arrma/ Durango and Axial were all originally created by a Chinese RC maker called Dragon Star RC. Hobbico bought the rights when Dragon Star offered the products for sale and Hobbico created the brands, all while Dragon Star remained the sole manufacturer for Hobbico. Thats how Arrma/ Durango and Axial (Crawlers) came to be. HH bought Arrma and the Axial brand from Hobbico when they filed a bankruptcy chapter 11 I believe. The Trx/Hobbico lawsuit filed in Texas pretty much bankrupted Hobbico with legal fees. Traxxass has beaucuop legal staffing in house and ate up Hobbico legally and it also helped Traxxas that they are local in Mckinney Texas. with much Judicial juice in the courts locally.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/traxxas-vs-hobbico-lawsuit-is-done.7301/

:cool:

Stay away IMHO. Not that some don't still have theirs. Its no longer an every day basher but an RC conversation piece for the shelf. A Nice one at that.

Last edited:
Great info @SrC
With a heavy heart that is why I sold my br on, an absolute masterpiece of engineering, a tank of a truck, but I spent more time looking at it and stroking it inappropriately than driving it.

I cracked a wheel last time I would out with mine, how you like those trenchers?
They're great for the low speed high impact stuff like the skatepark - ideally they need strapped to limit the ballooning when you're giving it more throttle, but they're awesome for air control

They're great for the low speed high impact stuff like the skatepark - ideally they need strapped to limit the ballooning when you're giving it more throttle, but they're awesome for air control
What about the belted ones? Haven't used those yet?

We still run our Diff Brain version on a regular basis. Not much jumping (except for this latest outing). It's an absolute beast of a truck. We usually run on dirt or short grass, playing grab-ass with each other.

We still run our Diff Brain version on a regular basis. Not much jumping (except for this latest outing). It's an absolute beast of a truck. We usually run on dirt or short grass, playing grab-ass with each other.
Yup, grass is where I usually bash my trucks. They tend to get damaged less when rolling over or cartwheeling. Terrain crushing is enough fun for me.

So what's wrong with parts support?
I still see enough factory and upgrade pieces available online to build one so whoever says there's no support apparently have no experience with Neros?

Arrma voluntarily pulled the Nero line and it was far from the lay down shocks being the reason.
What you won't find online is any factory steer saver or rx/tx box.
The formula style shocks weren't so much the issue as all the pushrod dimensions, angles were all identical to the Revo, after all Arrma had it legally re-engineered.

I found an outfit other day still had over a dozen diff brain modules.

I take my N Big Rock out every time we bash.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back