NERO pinion problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierced soul

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Talion
So I needed a new pinion, ordered the stock replacement and was surprised it had 1 hole and 1 grub screw. The one installed in the vehicle has 2 holes and 2 screws.

Anyway... So I set it all up, blue loctite, leave it 24 hours before taking it out. Lasted 15secs before the grub came out. Ok, maybe not enough loctite, did it again, went overkill on the loctite and left it longer. Got a minute before the grub came out again.

My suspicion is that the one installed has 2 screws for a reason, but the replacements only have 1 (probably to fit with the rest of the range). Does anyone know where I can get a pinion with 2 holes of whether I'm doing something wrong? I've changed heaps of pinions and never had this problem before

So I needed a new pinion, ordered the stock replacement and was surprised it had 1 hole and 1 grub screw. The one installed in the vehicle has 2 holes and 2 screws.

Anyway... So I set it all up, blue loctite, leave it 24 hours before taking it out. Lasted 15secs before the grub came out. Ok, maybe not enough loctite, did it again, went overkill on the loctite and left it longer. Got a minute before the grub came out again.

My suspicion is that the one installed has 2 screws for a reason, but the replacements only have 1 (probably to fit with the rest of the range). Does anyone know where I can get a pinion with 2 holes of whether I'm doing something wrong? I've changed heaps of pinions and never had this problem before

hmmm...very strange. ..I agree...I have never had this problem on nero...I have had pinions with 2 fasteners...but it worked fine with one...the flat on the shaft is where the set screw locks in...sooo....not sure why one shouldn't work...

the motor is hitting some serious vibrations to work out the setscrew...and I mention that because...I actually had a problem with my 18th scale brushless motor that kept loosing setscrews even with loctite because the shaft was bent...I ended up using 2 setscrews for a while but ended up replacing the motor...it shook itself apart...

I wonder if the setscrew hole threads in the pinion are fitting tight enough ...I don't think you are doing anything wrong...I wonder if the pinion is at fault...loctite can only solve so much...if the threads aren't even close then all the loctite you throw at it won't work...loctite is actually a bandaid fix for improperly formed threads but that is a different fight all together...

hmmmm...hate to say it...but...either compare with original pinion...swap screw. .check fit..etc....to see if you can get more enlightenment on the problem.. .or get another pinion...

Last edited:
There's actually 2 flat bits on the motor shaft. One extends down the shaft, the other is like 1 cm long. I was hoping someone had an idea before I go tear it all down again :mad:

In the maintenance section they show 2 screws (the 17t option pinion which comes with it has only 1 hole and screw). In the exploded view it has a single screw. fiddlesticked if I know what to make of it

In the maintenance section they show 2 screws (the 17t option pinion which comes with it has only 1 hole and screw). In the exploded view it has a single screw. fiddlesticked if I know what to make of it

I wonder what the pictures look like on the arrma site for the 17 tooth pinion...that may be one more place to check...now I am thinking that there should be 2...or leaning that way...but yeah..starting to seem like a manufacturing oversight...

Get yourself a different grub screw first. Sometimes those are machined poorly due to their size. Use some stronger Loctite. Red won't come off without heat so be sure before you use it. There is also green that, if I recall, is not as strong as red but is kind of goopy to better resist vibration. Those are the only ones I have experience with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back