Nero pops shock caps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rchrdjrz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hey arrma crew, I run my nero strictly for bashing and doing big jumps. Every time I go out to bash the nero, I end up popping shock caps. Oil gets everywhere and it's a pain to clean up. What do you guys recommend I do?

It would depend on what your setup is. Are you running totally stock or have you changed anything on the truck.

From stock there seems to be a lot of unnecessary pressure on the shocks, mostly because of the spring perches.
  • Move the upper shock mounts in to the 3rd or 4th holes.
  • Change the lower spring perch. Replace them with the spring perches in the Hobao hyper shock dampers kit (Part #90049)
  • Your shocks may be to stiff for the style of driving you are doing.
    • reduce the amount of pre-load on the springs. This would mean adjusting the shock adjustment collar up higher on the shock body
    • make sure your shock oil is not over full and that the type and weight aren't making your shocks to stiff.
If you have made changes to the suspension and are not running stock than we would need to know more about your truck to help out. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are doing big air jumps and bashing you might need to figure out 2 different suspension setups. One for when you want to go big air and one for when you are just bashing. When you are taking big jumps you will want your suspension kind of loose or soft, but when you are bashing you might want it a bit stiffer so this heavy truck isn't dragging it's rear bumper around all the time.

Hey arrma crew, I run my nero strictly for bashing and doing big jumps. Every time I go out to bash the nero, I end up popping shock caps. Oil gets everywhere and it's a pain to clean up. What do you guys recommend I do?

well...this is new...you got one answer...but i would like to know just how big are these jumps..forum member tp parts rc extreme does some major jumps...never reported a problem...i mean big jumps...if you are doing bigger then you are clearing city blocks...take a look at his vids...then back off a bit...ha ha...

I am running the nero with T-bone racing upgrades (front bumper, front and rear skid plates) and Hot racing front and rear springs (gold).
Also the jumps I'm doing are about 8ft high and 15-20ft long. Running on 6s. The gold springs are pretty stiff compare to the stock ones. But considering the weight of the nero i kept bottoming out with the stock setup.

Hot Racing NRO6506 Heavy Duty Shock Springs (Gold) (2) -NERO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9NRAAS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_z0IkzbQAM63JG

It would depend on what your setup is. Are you running totally stock or have you changed anything on the truck.
I am running the nero with T-bone racing upgrades (front bumper, front and rear skid plates) and Hot racing front and rear springs (gold).
Also the jumps I'm doing are about 8ft high and 15-20ft long. Running on 6s. The gold springs are pretty stiff compare to the stock ones. But considering the weight of the nero i kept bottoming out with the stock setup.

Hot Racing NRO6506 Heavy Duty Shock Springs (Gold) (2) -NEROhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9NRAAS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_z0IkzbQAM63JG
From stock there seems to be a lot of unnecessary pressure on the shocks, mostly because of the spring perches.
  • Move the upper shock mounts in to the 3rd or 4th holes.
  • Change the lower spring perch. Replace them with the spring perches in the Hobao hyper shock dampers kit (Part #90049)
  • Your shocks may be to stiff for the style of driving you are doing.
    • reduce the amount of pre-load on the springs. This would mean adjusting the shock adjustment collar up higher on the shock body
    • make sure your shock oil is not over full and that the type and weight aren't making your shocks to stiff.
If you have made changes to the suspension and are not running stock than we would need to know more about your truck to help out. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are doing big air jumps and bashing you might need to figure out 2 different suspension setups. One for when you want to go big air and one for when you are just bashing. When you are taking big jumps you will want your suspension kind of loose or soft, but when you are bashing you might want it a bit stiffer so this heavy truck isn't dragging it's rear bumper around all the time.

I would think that you have damaged the threads on the cap. the first time this happened the cap threads would be toast, they are fine and plastic and damage easily. I would get new caps and go back to stock springs. when you do jumps that big it's going to bottom out on landing there is no way around it.

I would think that you have damaged the threads on the cap. the first time this happened the cap threads would be toast, they are fine and plastic and damage easily. I would get new caps and go back to stock springs. when you do jumps that big it's going to bottom out on landing there is no way around it.
I was thinking it was the caps as well. I'm just going to have to replace them.

This thread made me start wondering if anyone made aluminum Shock Caps and Spring Perches that would fit the Big Rock. I have been able to find a couple Shock Caps on hobbytown.com that I think would work, but no luck on the spring perches so far.

Team Durango 16mm Aluminum Shock Cap, these even have a bleeder screw.

This thread made me start wondering if anyone made aluminum Shock Caps and Spring Perches that would fit the Big Rock. I have been able to find a couple Shock Caps on hobbytown.com that I think would work, but no luck on the spring perches so far.

Team Durango 16mm Aluminum Shock Cap, these even have a bleeder screw.
Yeah those caps look good but I'm also not sure if they would work. I'll keep looking around for some. In the mean time I will use Teflon tape and see it helps.

you might try putting on with a little shoe goo, should hold good and not hard to remove.

Was happening on my Nero. Installed new stock caps and o-rings, problem solved. But I didn't use it much after that.

Was happening on my Nero. Installed new stock caps and o-rings, problem solved. But I didn't use it much after that.
When ever i close the caps, I noticed that the orings tend to want to come out when I'm tightening the cap.

When ever i close the caps, I noticed that the orings tend to want to come out when I'm tightening the cap.
That happens to me too. I just slowly screw it on and push the o ring in with my nail when it comes out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back