Nero suspension thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I thought that it would be a good idea to create a thread for the nero's suspension setup for various types of driving (i.e. Big jumps, small jumps, on road, bumpy terrain, etc). I personally run with 60 wt and a little 60k diff oil with 2 hole pistons drilled out with a 1/16 inch drill bit. I have shocks threaded about halfway. I bash on medium jumps and it works great. If I were to change anything I'd go with 60 wt in the rear and 50 wt in the front. Please share your set ups too!

I had to rebuild my rear shocks, so tried some Losi 80wt and 100wt with the "1-2" pistons. Seem pretty soft compared to the stock setup, even with the 80wt. I increased the preload to about 75% of the adjustment range with the 100wt and it helped, but still bottomed on medium-sized hits. Ripping across bumpy train was awesome, though! I replaced about 1/3 of the 100wt with 10K diff fluid, and it the damping seems better with some test drops.

If i can't get it right with diff fluid, I'm going to do what Fiery did and drill out the blank pistons that came with the truck. 2 holes + 50wt sounds like a good combo!

First thing I did with my Fazon was move the shocks in on the front and re-route the wires for the motor. Mine were strung right between the shocks

Last edited:
Curious if anybody has had problems with Nero shock shafts breaking. I was making some moderate jumps 4'-5' tall over a raised bed garden, and after one of the landings I noticed the car sagging in the rear. Both rear shock shafts had broken cleanly where the bottom threading starts, snapped flush at the lip of the shock rod end. I'm uncertain if this is because of suspension bottoming, could this have been alleviated with thicker shock oil?

I was able to obtain replacement shafts, but the shock perches were lost during the landing and are back ordered at least two months out (AR330409).

Last edited:
Curious if anybody has had problems with Nero shock shafts breaking. I was making some moderate jumps 4'-5' tall over a raised bed garden, and after one of the landings I noticed the car sagging in the rear. Both rear shock shafts had broken cleanly where the bottom threading starts, snapped flush at the lip of the shock rod end. I'm uncertain if this is because of suspension bottoming, could this have been alleviated with thicker shock oil?

I was able to obtain replacement shafts, but the shock perches were lost during the landing and are back ordered at least two months out (AR330409).
Shock oil determines the slow movement of the shock while pistons determine how the shock reacts to high speed movements. I don't think that would make a difference if there was heavier shock oil or smaller pistons. I have not expierienced this before but prior to running the truck, I moved my shocks to the second innermost slots. I did this because there was a sharp angle out of the box that was supposed to cause a lot of breakages. I also changed my rod ends to revo rod ends. I have seen a lot of people use hobao spring retainers that are supposed to help. You aren't the only one though, I've seen someone else on here that had this problem before. Just do a little more researching and you should find the hobao part number here somewhere.

hobao 90049

I had that happen.Moved shocks inwards to the second to last hole No problems after that

Much appreciated, Fiery, just ordered two sets! I've also relocated the shock mounts as you suggested. I'm looking forward to getting the Nero back out next week.
great! smooth sailing here on out. If there are any more problems though you can always ask me.

Just so you know, Im going to be trying out these to see if I can get my suspension perfect. They are supposed to make the rebound quicker or slower while having alot or a little pack. I have some similar ones on my slash and they work great. They are a little hard to explain so if you're interested then look them up. I asked one of the Traxxas guys and he said they were 16mm, the same as the nero. I'll update this as I go but hopefully they work.

Hey everyone. new to the forums and wasnt sure i should post here. cant seem to find how to post a new question in this thread. so i had the same issue (twice) with my shock shaft on my Nero. the first time they broke i fixed it immediately and found my spring retainer. the second time (2 days ago) both shock shafts broke and i lost both my retainers. My LHS sucks and only seem to stock losi and traxxas parts, so they do not have the retainers, and they are back ordered. im going out of town on Saturday so i don't have time to order any from ANYWHERE, except Amazon, and they, of course, don't have any. Can Someone, ANYONE tell me what other trucks retainers would fit the Nero shocks? Thank you so much in advance.

Hey everyone. new to the forums and wasnt sure i should post here. cant seem to find how to post a new question in this thread. so i had the same issue (twice) with my shock shaft on my Nero. the first time they broke i fixed it immediately and found my spring retainer. the second time (2 days ago) both shock shafts broke and i lost both my retainers. My LHS sucks and only seem to stock losi and traxxas parts, so they do not have the retainers, and they are back ordered. im going out of town on Saturday so i don't have time to order any from ANYWHERE, except Amazon, and they, of course, don't have any. Can Someone, ANYONE tell me what other trucks retainers would fit the Nero shocks? Thank you so much in advance.
hobao 90049 fit and they should stop you from freking shafts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back