New 3d printer!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That first layer is weak.
It's going to cause all sorts of problems.
You're not achieving a good squish for the initial layer.

Adjust your z-offset closer to the bed..
From -2.65 to
-2.88 (or possibly -2.96)

Looks like you're possibly hitting some harmonics at those heights ,maybe..

You said you're doing 50mm/s currently ,yes?

Perhaps crank it down to 44mm and see how that goes.. for that height..

Okay, if you feel like you achieved initial layer adhesion. 👍

Also, it's related-
(Regular) PLA is hygroscopic, so you must be very mindful of that. I remove and store all my opened PLA in an airtight container once I'm done printing with it.
It's a pain in the ass ,but you'll learn to do it IF you want consistent prints and to NOT ruin all those filaments.

Last edited:
Would be a great help! Thanks! I have the morning to work with it, and evening. Tomorrow I leave for State basketball tournament. Which temp do you think is too high? Nozzle or bed?
Which calibration table?

@#ARRMArcfanboy4life Yes, I need to relevel the bed manually and auto. Last night I lowered it a bit more around the tip of the bow.
I was thinking more of the nozzle temp. The calibration table Tex link for you

That first layer is weak.
It's going to cause all sorts of problems.
You're not achieving a good squish for the initial layer.

Adjust your z-offset closer to the bed..
From -2.65 to
-2.88 (or possibly -2.96)

Looks like you're possibly hitting some harmonics at those heights ,maybe..

You said you're doing 50mm/s currently ,yes?

Perhaps crank it down to 44mm and see how that goes.. for that height..

Okay, if you feel like you achieved initial layer adhesion. 👍

Also, it's related-
(Regular) PLA is hygroscopic, so you must be very mindful of that. I remove and store all my opened PLA in an airtight container once I'm done printing with it.
It's a pain in the ass ,but you'll learn to do it IF you want consistent prints and to NOT ruin all those filaments.
Thanks. The last paragraph I wrong after another print.
I will find an airtight container right now! After rebalancing, my z-offset is -3.12.

BBA70A9C-ABFB-475E-A2A9-52932252CC9D.jpeg

I was thinking more of the nozzle temp. The calibration table Tex link for you
Thank you. I brought it down 5 and it seems much better. I’m running 195 for nozzle and 65 first layer, 60 for the rest on the bed.

I also changed the width and height of the first layer, .3 for height and .6 for width. Was at .2 h and .4w
Thank you for answering my newb questions!!

I will find an airtight container right now! After rebalancing, my z-offset is -3.12.

View attachment 278686

THAT looks much better.
Even first layer and good amount of squish. 👍

But that offset 😲
Oh well, it is what it is...

Pro Tip-
Eventually you'll want to replace those bed springs with something better.. Like silicone bumper/stops.

Not now ,since you just got the bed level dialed in. Print about a hundred or so items then upgrade those.

THAT looks much better.
Even first layer and good amount of squish. 👍

But that offset 😲
Oh well, it is what it is...

Pro Tip-
Eventually you'll want to replace those bed springs with something better.. Like silicone bumper/stops.

Not now ,since you just got the bed level dialed in. Print about a hundred or so items then upgrade those.
Okay, thank you! Is there a different way I should do it to change the offset? Should I raise all 4 springs up to a lesser offset?

View attachment 278686

Thank you. I brought it down 5 and it seems much better. I’m running 195 for nozzle and 65 first layer, 60 for the rest on the bed.

I also changed the width and height of the first layer, .3 for height and .6 for width. Was at .2 h and .4w
Thank you for answering my newb questions!!
That looks so much better

That looks so much better
Thank you so much. I got a little nervous when it turned out like that. Turns out the video on bed leveling that I watched used a sticky note, which was thinner than the paper creality sends their printers with. After watching some more videos, I figured out that it needs to scratch the paper ever so slightly, because it’s a 1mm paper.

Would you guys go with Blender or FreeCad? for 3Dprinting design?

Would you guys go with Blender or FreeCad? for 3Dprinting design?
No clue, sorry about that. I’m a fusion 360 kiddo, due to education edition being free.

Here’s my latest benchy. The first layer was my best so far!

497A29A7-8409-4A79-90C8-E7A3765D6BC7.jpeg

6F446785-6A3F-4D81-AC82-4EC82434F893.jpeg

image.jpg

After calculating, the two benchys together cost 20 cents. I love the cost effectiveness!

No clue, sorry about that. I’m a fusion 360 kiddo, due to education edition being free.

Here’s my latest benchy. The first layer was my best so far!

View attachment 278716

View attachment 278717

View attachment 278718

Looking much better 👍

After calculating, the two benchys together cost 20 cents. I love the cost effectiveness!

You've miscalculated..
You need to weigh all the filament material used thus far.. to get to the acceptable print quality. (Including the layer test print(S). AND failed printS..)

That's the True cost -in materials.

Not included are your configuration and setup time costs.
And granted your design hourly rate is free since you didn't have to CAD, Validate ,Iterate anything so far. 😉

Looking much better 👍

You've miscalculated..
You need to weigh all the filament material used thus far.. to get to the acceptable print quality. (Including the layer test print(S). AND failed printS..)

That's the True cost -in materials.

Not included are your configuration and setup time costs.
And granted your design hourly rate is free since you didn't have to CAD, Validate ,Iterate anything so far. 😉
Sure sure, you can be specific all you want. if I was designing a part to sell i’d count that, or a one off, but the two benchys *alone* were 4 grams of filament. Hatchbox PLA for 24 dollars=1kg

Okay, thank you! Is there a different way I should do it to change the offset? Should I raise all 4 springs up to a lesser offset?

Yes.

Best to have your offset at 0 ,or close to it.

Mine's usually at -1.0 to -1.22 , just because my print bed is so big..
There's a variance across the surface.

Welcome to 3D printing. Glad to see you went with the S1 pro, you won’t regret it. I have the ender 3 pro, and just yesterday I upgraded the last few things (sprite pro and dual z) to make it equivalent to the Ender 3 S1pro. Now for all the calibration prints. At the end of the day I spent more upgrading than an S1 would have cost but I stretched it out over a year. So it’s not too bad. My intention is to be able to print RC cars from 3Dsets, as well as RC parts in ABS (PLA isn’t tough enough.)
How did your first prints go? If you are on Reddit, check out the 3D printing, and Ender subreddits, there are lots of people willing to help with any issues.

Welcome to 3D printing. Glad to see you went with the S1 pro, you won’t regret it. I have the ender 3 pro, and just yesterday I upgraded the last few things (sprite pro and dual z) to make it equivalent to the Ender 3 S1pro. Now for all the calibration prints. At the end of the day I spent more upgrading than an S1 would have cost but I stretched it out over a year. So it’s not too bad. My intention is to be able to print RC cars from 3Dsets, as well as RC parts in ABS (PLA isn’t tough enough.)
How did your first prints go? If you are on Reddit, check out the 3D printing, and Ender subreddits, there are lots of people willing to help with any issues.
Some of my first prints are on my past posts in this thread. Here’s my latest, they’re pretty big. I finished them at 2 am Friday, and left for a basketball tournament at 7:30 am. I’m not on Reddit. Thanks for the response!
How are you like the ender 3?

Also, I don’t have the s1 pro, just the s1

3A59079F-7381-4CCC-BA58-E44685D18970.jpeg

C64678C1-13F0-4FC8-BED5-7E694DCBABB6.jpeg

Hey guys, I ordered a creality ender 3 v2 off amazon. I have worked with fusion 360 many times. I’m trying to use my student id to sing up for the free educational version, any idea what’s going on?

View attachment 277731

View attachment 277732
Yeah! I just got a Ender 3 Max Neo. It is great and prints big. Do any of you know if there are filaments it can take besides TPU, ABS, PETG and PLA?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back