New 3s diff binding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slouchybiscuit

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Got a new diff and input gear. Put it all back together but when i put the diff yoke on and spin the diff it feels like its binding. If i take the yoke screws out it spins super easily and smooth. As soon as the yoke screws are snugged up or if i pinch the yoke closed with my fingers it binds. When the screws are out there is a paper thin gap where the 2 yokes meet. Once the gap closes it binds. No idea what im doing wrong

Could be a few things.
1 - The two sides of the yoke are not identical. There is a little tab on the inside of one side, that should go on the opposite side of the ring gear, otherwise it will rub the back of the ring gear.
2 - Make sure you have your bearings fully seated. Those differential bearings can sometimes be difficult to push all the way in.
3 - You can switch the shim underneath the bearing from the ring gear side to the other side, it will open up a little space between the differential and input gear.

Tried all of those and didnt really get any results. I read on another thread that they can be "notchy" and its okay to run them that they will break in
What do you think ?
Tried all of those and didnt really get any results. I read on another thread that they can be "notchy" and its okay to run them that they will break in
What do you think ?
And i guess notchy is the right word for what im experiencing because it will spin but its got some resistance

Maybe one last tip. I gooped on too much grease once and it caused some binding. I cleaned out the teeth and applied a thinner, more even layer of grease and the binding was gone. It may also have been dirt. My work area was not so clean, so I may have picked up some dirt while applying the grease.

Back