New 6S battery but is there a concern with this voltage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I'm working with and trying to help someone out close to me.

They have this new China Hobby 6S 6200mah 90C battery. They have a Spektrum charger like me and checked the voltage out of the box when it arrived today.

Any concerns with seeing cell 1 lower than the other 5 cells out the box?

1653012664127.png

Brand new? I wouldn’t be. See what the IR is of that cell compared to the others and if it’s in line with the others. I’d charge it up and see how the pack looks after a few cycles.

Brand new? I wouldn’t be. See what the IR is of that cell compared to the others and if it’s in line with the others. I’d charge it up and see how the pack looks after a few cycles.

Not a concern, what matters is the IR. They should be below 4mOhm, the lower the better.

As others said. Ir...... a few of my chnl where like this for the first few charges... my one zee pack is always .2 off.

OK...time for me to learn about IR. Amazing how I am still new to this hobby. Let me get some new knowledge so I can understand this wisdom you all are sharing then I can get an understanding of it.

Thx

Sorry for not defining our terms. IR = internal resistance which is just that - and should be in the low single digit milliohm range for good cells

I have seen some concerning posts in regards to CNHL as of late. That being said I have seen brand new batteries with this much deviation between cells but it is rare. We just don't know how the factory charged or balanced them.

Like others have mentioned I would check the internal resistance (a high quality charger is needed for any sort of accurate readings). Hopefully you will see single digit numbers in milliohms.

It would be interesting to see after a proper storage charge with cells balanced if cell one strays over time, if so I would not use it. That is an indication of a higher IR and self discharge which should be extremely minimal on a healthy battery.

The other thing I have seen is inaccurate voltage readings from the charger displays. Luckily my Hota D6 Duo can be calibrated (and it was a little off).

I wouldn't be concened so far. As two of my Gens lipo's 'died' last year all my lipos'currently are CNHL (6 lipo's) and no problems yet (almost all are less than a year old though).
My charger's max is 7.0A, meaning I charge all of them with less than 1C, maybe that's helping too.

To get a fairly accurate reading of your IR values your batteries should be at a 40-60% charge level and at room temperature (70-72°F). Then begin charging at 1.5C rate (for a 6200mAh pack that would be 9.3A) and then immediately check your IR. If those SPEKTRUM chargers are as SMART as they say, they should have that feature. If in doubt, RTFM! ;-)

Internal resistance is an indicator of internal damage. The higher, the less current can it provide and the less storage the cell has remaining.

For a visual, shameless plug:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/anatomy-of-a-dead-lipo.47738/
Compare between the 'good cell (clean on the inside) and the white oxidation/damage in the bad cell.
Should give you a good visual what this little IR measurement represents.

Internal resistance is an indicator of internal damage. The higher, the less current can it provide and the less storage the cell has remaining.

For a visual, shameless plug:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/anatomy-of-a-dead-lipo.47738/
Compare between the 'good cell (clean on the inside) and the white oxidation/damage in the bad cell.
Should give you a good visual what this little IR measurement represents.
Good post...

Thx

I wish my Spektrum charger read ohm it does on their batteries but I use non-Spektrum battery now.

No concern about a 0.05V min-max discrepancy out of the box, but if it's still there after a balance charge and discharge cycle, or the low cell drops more quickly in storage, or as others mentioned the IR is high, I'd ask for a replacement.

My charger does not measure ohm is there a separate device that anyone know of that can do that one function I can use as a tester and purchase?

Don't have it myself, but it's advertised as such.

"Internal resistance tester - For lithium-based battery packs, the battery internal resistance tester function will display the internal resistance of each individual cell. Use the battery checker tester to evaluate the health of your battery pack and decide when to discard or replace it. "

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back