Granite new arrma granite questions regarding battery and rear differential seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Ok so I've had this BLX running 3s for about 3 weeks now and probably have about 10hrs on it. I've traditionally ran Nitro cars in the past but decided to break into electric.. what a great choice.

I have a few questions/issues that hopefully you guys can help.

1) I bought a onyx 5000mah 30c batter. Initially I thought this was okay based on small amount of research but the granite manual states I apparently should have a 35c battery. A local hobby shop guy said it should be fine.

If I continue to run this battery, will I cause issues with the car?

I'll also note I made some mistakes already with this battery. 1, I charged it right away and realized the connector was wrong (figured connectors would be standardized.... ha. ... ha...). I let it sit about 48hrs before discharging it with an LED light. AND THEN I found out your not supposed to discharge them too much... so yea. I left it on the light for probably way too long (20W light for about 8-10hrs).

2) Recently I'm getting more confident with the car and I've been running it a lot at 100% throttle and high speeds on the street and open fields. I've found that after doing a bunch of these runs, the car likes to go into limp mode prematurely. If I shut it off for a bit and run it again, I can get a good 5-7 min runtime out of it. I'm thinking its the battery being overstressed but not 100% sure. I'm ordering a better battery today.

3) It seems like the left rear differential seal is weeping oil. Its been doing that for about a week now. Not much, but I can notice it a bit after cleaning (I blast the car off with air after each run to keep it clean. I focus on suspension joints mostly).

Is this normal? Should I send it in for warranty?

Thanks for any answers. Again, I'm new to electric RC so kinda learning the basics. Should have joined this forum earlier I suppose.

Last edited:
Ok so I've had this BLX running 3s for about 3 weeks now and probably have about 10hrs on it. I've traditionally ran Nitro cars in the past but decided to break into electric.. what a great choice.

I have a few questions/issues that hopefully you guys can help.

1) I bought a onyx 5000mah 30c batter. Initially I thought this was okay based on small amount of research but the granite manual states I apparently should have a 35c battery. A local hobby shop guy said it should be fine.

If I continue to run this battery, will I cause issues with the car?

I'll also note I made some mistakes already with this battery. 1, I charged it right away and realized the connector was wrong (figured connectors would be standardized.... ha. ... ha...). I let it sit about 48hrs before discharging it with an LED light. AND THEN I found out your not supposed to discharge them too much... so yea. I left it on the light for probably way too long (20W light for about 8-10hrs).

2) Recently I'm getting more confident with the car and I've been running it a lot at 100% throttle and high speeds on the street and open fields. I've found that after doing a bunch of these runs, the car likes to go into limp mode prematurely. If I shut it off for a bit and run it again, I can get a good 5-7 min runtime out of it. I'm thinking its the battery being overstressed but not 100% sure. I'm ordering a better battery today.

3) It seems like the left rear differential seal is weeping oil. Its been doing that for about a week now. Not much, but I can notice it a bit after cleaning (I blast the car off with air after each run to keep it clean. I focus on suspension joints mostly).

Is this normal? Should I send it in for warranty?

Thanks for any answers. Again, I'm new to electric RC so kinda learning the basics. Should have joined this forum earlier I suppose.

Welcome! ??

Shouldn't have to send it in but worth calling if it concerns you. Could it be the shocks leaking? Horizon is good to deal with for fair claims. You already know RC and the nature of the hobby in that sometimes we don't quite get what we expect. I've never made a claim with Arrma and I own seven trucks, I think.
Going limp sounds like you could get better results with a higher c-rated lipo. I'd revisit the concern after you run the new pack.
I abuse my batteries and wouldn't worry so much if it stays charged for 72 hours. Any more than that would be a good idea to storage charge. If you use a lamp jig, maybe get a lipo alarm for dirt cheap to help let you know where you stand. Again just imo.
Many will say to avoid connector adapters for your batteries and many will say to never leave em charged. I don't worry as much and I keep anything inside my home at storage. In my outside shop I'm pretty loose but have a couple fireproof bags that I kinda use.
Important is to try to charge at 1c amps so a 5000mah will charge at 5 amps. Sometimes I charge at 2c or 10 amps (in the case of a 5000mah) but have never gone over that personal standard. I'd rather have more than one battery vs trying to rush a charge.
In my opinion, respect the electrics but don't sweat the small stuff. I don't push the batteries to charge faster because I have time to wait a few more minutes and no need to meet a race time schedule. Just keep it fun.
If the worse that can happen is I sacrifice the life of my (replaceable) batteries, tires, motor, etc, I don't care as much as if I put myself or folks close to me in danger. I try to approach the hobby as a pragmatic participant. Over-thinking isn't a wrong way to go but fretting can be tiring.

No the leak is directly at the rear diff seal.

HPI has been great to work with in the past as well. I had a servo fail wide open throttle and I smacked a curb max speed which really screwed up the car. They sent me about $100 worth of parts no big deal.

Thanks for your comments/insight. Hoping someone else has had a similar problem and solution.

I've already received a completly new motor from Horizon ?

When the diff leaks after 10hours then it may be a good idea to at least contact them. Often its easier for them to send out a diff replacement instead of double checkin the car. May also be the quicker solution for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back