NEW AXIAL 1/6th scale crawler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a good find IMO. I don't actually own any crawlers, but I did do some research on the SCX10.3 as I thought about getting one when they were first released

The few things that put me off was that the 1st and 2nd gear ratios were too close for my liking, and many suffered from transmission tolerances that caused the infamous clicking

In truth, there are better crawlers out there but a SCX10.3 still does well on the trail, and this does look like a good deal

Check out RC Review's videos on these trucks:

Thanks for this!!! Another guy in my bash/speed groups invited us to go with his other peeps in his crawler group. Always looked at it as boring and slow. Until you actually get out and do it. I was loaned a TRX4 for the day and he borrowed an SCX10 from another member. I wasnt distrusting, just looking for an opinion from someone with nothing to gain. This club actually has membership fees but it's all spent developing tracks and courses. Went for a 2 hour hike that was actually enjoyable while running crawlers. I need to keep "fit" and free my son from enslavement from the evil creators of Fortnite, Roblox, and Rec Room......

Last edited:
Thanks for this!!! Another guy in my bash/speed groups invited us to go with his other peeps in his crawler group. Always looked at it as boring and slow. Until you actually get out and do it. I was loaned a TRX4 for the day and he borrowed an SCX10 from another member. I wasnt distrusting, just looking for an opinion from someone with nothing to gain. This club actually has membership fees but it's all spent developing tracks and courses. Went for a 2 hour hike that was actually enjoyable while running crawlers. I need to keep "fit" and free my son from enslavement from the evil creators of Fortnite, Roblox, and Rec Room......

I have had a few crawlers…. I go to the local parks with my kids and do 5 mile trail walks with them and the rc’s…. It’s a win win. The kids out down the electronics, and walk 5 miles of terrain. We talk about life while getting exercise…. Now they are more into bashing then trail walking. But either way, trail walks were what I loved about it.

I liked the traxxas Trx4 the best, the vaterra next, and my axial last. All great rigs. Just the niceties were lacking on axial. Took more money to get them where the others started out as…. Won’t go wrong with any of them….

Here is the Brand new Axial crawler. I usually don't post new cars from HH but this caught my eye. I don't know why but I like this rig so much. The price is definitely too steep for me. I could get so much for how much this thing costs. I know it has a market but I bet most people aren't willing to drop more than a band on a crawler.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-6-scx6-jeep-jlu-wrangler-4wd-rock-crawler-rtr/AXI05000.html
View attachment 174082
That’s a monster! But I’d love to have it!

Axial doesn’t have a good track record with large scale rigs. Ask me how I know……. I have two Yeti XL’ s that have gone the way of the Dodo. I have to admit though it does seem impressive.
BTW the Yetis are a ton of fun 🤩
I still have my Yeti XL, the thing is a BEAST! After you replace EVERYTHING with billet! Mine will smoke all 4 tires forever on concrete, with zero chassis twist. 6 years ago there was great aftermarket support, and looks better than my 2 1/10 Yetis. I tore it down after the first run on my old farm track. The thing almost twisted itself in half! Now it’s not worth 1/10th of what I’ve got in it, so I just bash the heck out of it, and always a big hit for friends to borrow and go bashing! Haven’t broken anything on it in 5 years after the reconstruction! Gotta remember, Arrma wasn’t born yet, had to build what you wanted!

This is my current 1/7 Crawler build from Redcat Racing, comes stock with all Holmes Hobbies crawler motor & esc, sleeved axles, and is quite bulletproof for a crawler. This is a direct copy of my 1/1 Crawler running 40’s on F350 axles. Im still recovering from being paralyzed on my right side from a spinal cord tumor in my neck, so crawling is easier on my current body! My 1/5 th gas Krakens & Losi’s are up on the shelf for now. I have to give Losi credit on the big ones, hit a fence post full throttle on my 5IVET, drove it away with character lines, hit a water main @ 50mph with my WRC Mini Cooper, same deal !
Love to bash, just can’t chase so well!

1398E723-9803-41C8-8264-119AB7C7DFAE.jpeg

322E67E0-187B-409D-AB67-55AAAA97DECD.jpeg

7B40616D-A9E0-42D4-911E-AB3BD5402CF5.jpeg

I drove one today at Hangar 18. It's nice. Played with it for quite some time. I am impressed by the size and the body. Outside of that it appears to be nothing more than a scaled up SCX10.

If it comes as a roller I'll eventually get one, but I'm done buying rtr vehicles and swapping electronics.

This unfortunately has come to my attention at a time when I'm shopping for a new helicopter transmitter. The more I read about Spektrums NX series, the more and more I dislike Spektrum and have no desire to further immerse myself in their ecosystem.

@Greengaunja, That's a good price for an upgraded rig. I think you will enjoy it.
Yes it is good. $745 CAD for a new RTR scx10.3 seems to be average price. Without any upgrades. The winch alone sells close to $100, and is remotely operated.
I found out a few things about the seller. He's trying to expand his club as many have left over time. Looking at his FB, he seems to have more RCs than a hobby shop(into scale, crawling, and drag mostly).
Did a 2 hour night crawl last night. Chilly, wet, muddy but loved it, as did my son. He's usually wimpy about the first 2 conditions and didn't want to leave.
Screenshot_20211017-193406_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20211017-193519_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20211017-193841_Facebook.jpg

Yes it is good. $745 CAD for a new RTR scx10.3 seems to be average price. Without any upgrades. The winch alone sells close to $100, and is remotely operated.
I found out a few things about the seller. He's trying to expand his club as many have left over time. Looking at his FB, he seems to have more RCs than a hobby shop(into scale, crawling, and drag mostly).
Did a 2 hour night crawl last night. Chilly, wet, muddy but loved it, as did my son. He's usually wimpy about the first 2 conditions and didn't want to leave.View attachment 174732View attachment 174733View attachment 174734
You Rock GIF
ROCK ON 🤘

I was always intrigued by watching the scale Crawler videos of G6 etc.
I got an Axial Trail Honcho (10.2) I was not thrilled at all in the beginning. Felt I made a big $mistake$.:(
I didnt quite understand it for almost a year. I thought it would remain a nice looking shelf queen. Then after a few mods and another $300. later on, it all clicked for me. Driving slow etc. A big learning curve. Now they all look beat up. Like they should look. :LOL:
Now I like walking for several miles along trails,into streams, up steep rocks etc. Once the rig is dialed and balanced properly it drives like it is sucked into the terrain. Goes anywhere. I find it relaxing and am less on the edge, like with 6s bashing and speed running. And they break much less, and go for miles on end with just one lipo. I alway shave a spare lipo in my pocket, but never need it.
I have 3 Crawlers now. Been running my Crawlers mostly in the past few months. Not My Arrma's.:unsure:
Driving slow can be fun. There is much technique involved. More than meets the eye initially. And a powerful servo is an absolute must.

I was always intrigued by watching the scale Crawler videos of G6 etc.
I got an Axial Trail Honcho (10.2) I was not thrilled at all in the beginning. Felt I made a big $mistake$.:(
I didnt quite understand it for almost a year. I thought it would remain a nice looking shelf queen. Then after a few mods and another $300. later on, it all clicked for me. Driving slow etc. A learnng curve. Now they all look beat up. Like they should look. :LOL:
Now I like walking for several miles along trails,into streams, up steep rocks etc. Once the rig is dialed and balanced properly it drives like it is sucked into the terrain. Goes anywhere. I find it relaxing and am less on the edge, like with 6s bashing and speed running. And they break much less, and go for miles on end with just one lipo. I alway shave a spare lipo in my pocket, but never need it.
I have 3 Crawlers now. Been running my Crawlers mostly in the past few months. Not My Arrma's.:unsure:
EXACTLY! (y)

It’s in. I’ll grab it Monday. It’s a green one. Looking forward to this one.

They didn’t get into the hobby shop till later Friday. Busy weekend. Social and a birthday so no time to run and get it. My local hobby shop is over a hour away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back