Typhon New Body, Pain Thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry-rigged

Have you seen my LVC?
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
My new clear body for my Typhon came in last night, Woot! I am excited. However, I have not painted an RC body in 20 years... LOL So we'll see how this one comes out. My other hobby is fishing, so I am think of a fish theme. Maybe a paint scheme like a Mahi Mahi - Bight green and yellow with electric blue trim and blue dots.
41OXBqI7%2BIL.jpg

Or do a bronze/cream with blue trim like a red fish/red drum. This one would be harder, as I know I would want to stencil the scale pattern...
Felshers-Lake-Pontchatrain-Redfish-2-15-2013-07-011-1024x678.jpg

My last body was painted like a fishing lure - a Rattle trap. I liked the paint job, but it was obviously armature.

The car:
tPhYJK_WAMi2q2wdyvaDG7U6QF9LtjIyPV1ZXeNZw9IncX1Jt-esbHYUrQ7N88py0qA14Czxtkp-9EiETLA=w640-h360-no.jpg

The Pattern:
bill-lewis_rt12.jpg

anyway, I still need to buy paints and stuff... Off to the hobby shop! :)

Jerry

Thanks guys!

I am still on the fence about which way to go. The blue/Green/Yellow would not be too hard, but would ed up close to my old paint - but with more blue. The gold/bronze/cream - in my mind - should look killer. But I am dreading all the stenciling needed for the scale pattern, and I would not want to do it without the scales...

I did go to a shop to buy paint, but for the first scheme, they didn't have the right blue or yellow, and for the second, they didn't have cream. :(

Humm...

Nice! I thought i was looking up fising reports for a second. Classic Rapala color too.

Try #2. I did some masking this time, rather than just freehand. Better design, I think. My masking sucked, though. Lots of bleed.
2016-10-08 20.17.49.jpg
Glad I am not doing this on the real body... :)

The more I look at this the less I like the yellow. Hummm... plain pokeball? Or scrap it for something else....

Like I said, glad this is not the real body... lol

The more I look at and think about the pokemon bodies, the less I like them. Yesterday, I was looking at Massdrop.com, and saw a "deal" on Spaz Stiks color change paint. It looked interesting, so I hit the buy button. LOL I picked up two rattle cans, one color change green/purple/teal, and their Ultimate Chrome.

When they come in, I'll do a test body to see if it is a cool in person as it is in pictures.

Pic from the web -

szx05700-3.jpg

The more I look at and think about the pokemon bodies, the less I like them. Yesterday, I was looking at Massdrop.com, and saw a "deal" on Spaz Stiks color change paint. It looked interesting, so I hit the buy button. LOL I picked up two rattle cans, one color change green/purple/teal, and their Ultimate Chrome.

When they come in, I'll do a test body to see if it is a cool in person as it is in pictures.

Pic from the web -

szx05700-3.jpg
Yes ! That´s a cool body !
My good education stopped me from comment the pokemon body.... ;)

Looks like a great idea! I ended up doing a "celeste" green. Which is sort of a blue, greenish color. Masking the windows and slats for a black coat was tedious. Took me over an hour just to mask it. I got a little hasty to see the finished product and the black paint dried too quickly and cracked the celeste as you can see below.... oh well. I got 2 bodies, now time to try again. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_5006.JPG
    IMG_5006.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 82
Nice color! Moar Pics!

My painting has stalled out. Waiting for those Massdrop paints. They finally charged my card, but the order is still listed as "order placed with vendor". My first Massdrop order might be my last...

A month and a few days later, I finally got those massdrop paints. lol.

Spazstiks green/purple /teal, and their Ultimate Chrome . I cut up a water bottle to try them out. did 2 coats each. the chrome was starting to look good, but that color change paint is gonna take a lot of coats, and patience . ... lol
20161115_205005.jpg

Still want to do some testing. :) Gonna do another bottle and back with white, and see what happens. But, hopefully the body will get painted soon. I am starting to get a backlog, I am up to three bodies now that need to be painted.

Another test bottle. 12 coats if the color change paint, then 2 coats of black. looks much better. I did half if the bottle with a white backing, but it looked bad. showed every fault in thE color change paint, and didn't show the color good.

I think I am ready to start the real body. got the liquid mask on, hope to start on it soon!

Attachments

• 20161127_170725.jpg
    20161127_170725.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 83
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back