New Castle 1/6 Mamba Monster X 8s esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All jokes aside, the fans that come with this $200 ESC are an embarrassment. I run it three times and I've broken the fan twice. The first time a blade cracked and got bent up. That prevented the fan from spinning. I removed that blade and when running it again today the same thing happened to another blade. I've removed that one but I'm not holding out hope. I did try 2 different WTF fans and both of those lost blades. @robert@castle Is there a fix for this? How can I go about claiming warranty for a fan? This is really unacceptable.

View attachment 93074View attachment 93075View attachment 93076
Call up tech support and they will send you a few new fans. The fan itself is the exact same fan(with different wires) we have used in the XL X for years and we never had this sort of issues with it, but the fan cover is just enough different that it is causing this issues. We are making a change to the cover to keep this from happening in the future. We were supposed to have the new parts a while ago to make the change but we had issues with the parts that came in from the supplier. Remove the fan cover or space it away from the fan and the issue should be resolved.

Call up tech support and they will send you a few new fans. The fan itself is the exact same fan(with different wires) we have used in the XL X for years and we never had this sort of issues with it, but the fan cover is just enough different that it is causing this issues. We are making a change to the cover to keep this from happening in the future. We were supposed to have the new parts a while ago to make the change but we had issues with the parts that came in from the supplier. Remove the fan cover or space it away from the fan and the issue should be resolved.
Mine was spaced with M3 nuts in the fan holes. Still broke a blade off. ??‍♂️

Touching it with a screw driver while it was running out of curiosity doesn’t warrant a new free fan.;) You went from Hyundai to Hellcat, sure you can handle it?:LOL:
Not at all. ?

The fan itself is the exact same fan(with different wires) we have used in the XL X for years and we never had this sort of issues with it,
That's all good, but generally the XLX isn't used for bashing..!!
The MMX8 is a bashers dream ESC but if it breaks fans all the time that will soon get boring..?

I ran it without the fan cover in my Kraton 8S. That's not the solution. All I did was run it around my yard ?

@robert@castle What is the number I should call for warranty?

20200806_151938.jpg

If your going to redesign the shroud, do it and make it so it fits a 40mm alloy framed fan:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33050610968.html

I ditched the shroud on my MMX 6S esc and put a hobbystar 30mm alloy framed fan on it. Has been fine for over a year. I put the same fan on my motor in my savage flux with the mmx/2200kv system and I also cobbled my max6 in my outcast to have the 30mm alloy fan as well and modified my dual motor fan in my outcast to use the hobbystar fans.

For the cost of the alloy fans and the fact that they exist in a few sizes these days for $12-$20, companies that are cranking out $150-$200+ esc's should only be using these kinds of fans. It's pretty clear what people are doing with those esc's and they like them enough to live with this kind of issue. Do away with the issue and instead of complaints, you will hear even more praises!

Just a thought...

I lost 2 fan blades about an hour or so ago just running up and down the road in front of my house. Just for S&GS I checked the fan on my Limitless, which has never been run outside of my house and it has a broken fan blade also. The second missing fan blade is hidden behind the power wires in this pic. I have contacted Robert and submitted info online. That being said, a few days ago I saw an advertisement...I think it was PPS that made a fan mount that also held the power switch. Pretty nifty, but does it do anything to solve whatever the issues are with the factory fan setup or is it just pretty? (and it is pretty)

20200828_200649.jpg

I lost 2 fan blades about an hour or so ago just running up and down the road in front of my house. Just for S&GS I checked the fan on my Limitless, which has never been run outside of my house and it has a broken fan blade also. The second missing fan blade is hidden behind the power wires in this pic. I have contacted Robert and submitted info online. That being said, a few days ago I saw an advertisement...I think it was PPS that made a fan mount that also held the power switch. Pretty nifty, but does it do anything to solve whatever the issues are with the factory fan setup or is it just pretty? (and it is pretty)

View attachment 96872
They sent me a new fan and power switch but I doubt I will ever use the POS fans they give us. I just use a 40x25 12V fan instead on my speed run rig. I use a 40x10 aluminum frame fan on my EXB.

Fans are poor I spotted them not so long ago for less than 5 bucks ifrc on a China store every one I think that own them the fan blades break on them

Long awaited 1520 motor is available . @ Robert will this motor be sold separately as well . I already own a mmx8s.
I've been out of the office for a week, so I didn't even know we announced that yet. It looks like we gave A-Main and excusive deal on it, not sure how long that will last, but it should be available as motor only eventually. Probably once the exclusive launch is over with A-Main, probably 2-4 weeks would be my guess but I really don't know.

Last edited:
I've been out of the office for a week, so I didn't even know we announced that yet. It looks like we gave A-Main and excusive deal on it, not sure how long that will last, but it should be available as motor only eventually. Probably one the exclusive launch is over with A-Main, probably 2-4 weeks would be my guess but I really don't know.
Sweet

Not sure where I should post this tbh, but has anyone managed to kill an XLX2 yet?
Trying to determine whether it's worth buying since it's only rated for 200A continuous/500A burst, the only other alternative is MGM's 25035 that I know of.

Not sure where I should post this tbh, but has anyone managed to kill an XLX2 yet?
Trying to determine whether it's worth buying since it's only rated for 200A continuous/500A burst, the only other alternative is MGM's 25035 that I know of.
Isn't MGMs ESC the cost of 3 XLX2 ESCs?
What RC would you put this is?

There are speed runners that are pulling 540+ amps on the XLX2 for durations of 7seconds

Isn't MGMs ESC the cost of 3 XLX2 ESCs?
What RC would you put this is?

There are speed runners that are pulling 540+ amps on the XLX2 for durations of 7seconds
It's going into a Typhon with 49T pinion/34T spool with a 2028 800kV motor, to be honest I've only ever blown one ESC and that was depressing enough to push me towards more extravagant ESCs.
I appreciate my gearing is quite high but I'm the kind of dumbass who pushes things, it doesn't help I'm running 1/5th wheels too, really lacked the grip with how much torque that motor outputs on 8S.

I've been considering an XLX2 because I figured it's the best bet aside from another MGM (they've already taken my lunch money once), however I have mild concerns about popping it.

It's going into a Typhon with 49T pinion/34T spool with a 2028 800kV motor, to be honest I've only ever blown one ESC and that was depressing enough to push me towards more extravagant ESCs.
I appreciate my gearing is quite high but I'm the kind of dumbass who pushes things, it doesn't help I'm running 1/5th wheels too, really lacked the grip with how much torque that motor outputs on 8S.

I've been considering an XLX2 because I figured it's the best bet aside from another MGM (they've already taken my lunch money once), however I have mild concerns about popping it.
I don't think the XLX2 will have any issues with that setup. That is only geared for 105mph with the normal 3.3 diffs.

@robert@castle so is the fan still an issue or has this been changed on current production? Looks like those that have removed cover have had poor results, so what is current status on this? Was going to order the combo for Kraton EXB, but sounds like everyone is having the fan issue?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back