New Chevy Silverado Body

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be doing the black parts on the body first, then the blue. Would it be wise to mask over the black once I'm ready to do the blue or will it even matter given that it's black already and getting blue on it won't really affect it?

I'm going to be doing the black parts on the body first, then the blue. Would it be wise to mask over the black once I'm ready to do the blue or will it even matter given that it's black already and getting blue on it won't really affect it?

Won't matter.

Masking is very tough and not so much fun. It's frustrating actually. Perhaps I should have read one of those tutorials around here on how to do it but that'll be for the next bod. I'm currently painting it. I did 4 or 5 coats of black, too much maybe? Now I'm gonna do maybe 3 or 4 light coats of the metallic blue.

Masking is very tough and not so much fun. It's frustrating actually. Perhaps I should have read one of those tutorials around here on how to do it but that'll be for the next bod. I'm currently painting it. I did 4 or 5 coats of black, too much maybe? Now I'm gonna do maybe 3 or 4 light coats of the metallic blue.
I know what you mean, my least favorite part is the masking.

Also I wish they made those masking stickers for the windows clear so you could just leave them on for protection. I have some spray adhesive, clear packing tape, gorilla tape, and shoe goo. Not sure which of these I should use on the body once I'm done? I've read plenty of tutorials and I think I might want to try the clear tape with a backing of shoe goo. Not sure if spray adhesive would be recommended?

I finally finished painting it. The metallic blue paint is really beautiful, almost a shame to bash it now. Unfortunately the black paint bled a little mainly in the front despite my best efforts with the masking tape. Not too much to ruin it but still not a perfect effort. I will post pics of it tomorrow if anyone's interested.

I took some pictures. On the Granite first and then on the bottom on my Stampede 4wd. This paint is really beautiful though if you look closely on the last picture you can see where the black paint bled through in the front hood. It was pretty pointless paiting the front black anyways because the decals cover that up. Gonna put the rest of the decals on, not sure I want to bash this body now.

kewyzt.png

2uyfy9x.png

I like it! You guys and your painting skills... I fear my lack of patients will bite me in the a$$ if I even try!

Thanks guys. From now on I think I'm sticking with the metallic colors, they look so much better than regular. Should I use this body on the Stampede or the Granite? I might have to cut it more for the Granite. Also forgot to mention I forgot to drill the body mount holes before painting it so now it's gonna be a pain to get them right.

That looks great... A trick for mount holes is to use black sharpie on The outside of the body to mark where to ream the holes after its been painted.

Yeah I thought of the sharpie but completely forgot because I was rushing to finally finish it. Now I'm going to have to do something else, perhaps put a bit of white paint on the tip of the body mounts and then put the body over it and where the paint shows up on the body I will drill, though it will have to be from the inside. Unless someone has a better idea?

Yeah I thought of the sharpie but completely forgot because I was rushing to finally finish it. Now I'm going to have to do something else, perhaps put a bit of white paint on the tip of the body mounts and then put the body over it and where the paint shows up on the body I will drill, though it will have to be from the inside. Unless someone has a better idea?
First, the truck looks great. Regarding the mounting holes, the white paint idea is good in theory, but you have to be really careful when setting the body down for the marks. You have to lower the body, perfectly centered left to right. and front to back. Once you have your marks, measure the holes in relation to curves in the hood and the ridges in the bed. That will help with the left to right. Use a caliper or tape measure when you think you're done, and make sure your marks match the distances of the body posts from side to side, and front to back. Hopefully it will turn out alright, and you'll remember to make the marks first on the next one.

I realize you want it done but have you seen the magnetic kit that helps to pinpoint body holes? I don't think I'd buy it for that price unless I planned to do a bunch of painting in the future. Also looks kinda easy to figure out the trick using our own magnets.

That magnetic kit gave me another idea, using magnets of course. I might also try a flashlight to see if it makes the body a bit more seethrough. All this work for forgetting to make the holes before lol. The Raptor body had indentations for where the holes went so Im not sure why this one didn't'.

I painted my Senton 4x4 Mega's Proline Ford Raptor body metallic purple and black. I left the windows clear. Here's a video of it, please excuse the bad camera work and bad scratchy audio, you can lower the volume -
And here's a running vid -

I painted my Senton 4x4 Mega's Proline Ford Raptor body metallic purple and black. I left the windows clear. Here's a video of it, please excuse the bad camera work and bad scratchy audio, you can lower the volume -
And here's a running vid -

Very nice paint work! Truck looks awesome!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back