Kraton New crown gear = new pinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Apex

Reaction score
I found one remark of someone saying that when you replace the diff crown gear, it is best to replace the pinion gear as well. Sounds logical but I can't find any other info on this. Is this the best practice?

Also my pinion gear is stuck to the bearing is this a sign something is to tight?

I replace both since most of the time if one is needs replacing, the other is most likely also pretty worn.
Pinion gear is tight to the bearing, I usually (depending the wear and dirt got stuck) need some taps with a hammer to get it out.

Bedankt man. I will buy a new pinion then.

The previous owner put shims between the pinion and the bearing in stead of between the diff housing and the bearing. I guess that was a cheap fix to get it ready for sale 😣

Bedankt man. I will buy a new pinion then.

The previous owner put shims between the pinion and the bearing in stead of between the diff housing and the bearing. I guess that was a cheap fix to get it ready for sale 😣
That is a Wrong Way to shim a diff, but it is the hard way...

With the new Saf-D diff input, they are a PITA to get out. Remove the grub screw, then use a punch (thru the input cup) to tap out the pinion.

And yes, I ways replace both ring and pinion together. Normally, the pinion is the one with more obvious damage or wear...

With the new Saf-D diff input, they are a PITA to get out. Remove the grub screw, then use a punch (thru the input cup) to tap out the pinion.
I found that out when I replaced the stock plastic rear diff housing with the Hot Racing aluminum housing. Taking out the pinion and putting in the new one took a few good whacks with a punch and hammer with more force than I expected it to take.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back