New Dumbo RC x6 has short range (UPDATE)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyanr1

Reaction score
Hello all. I installed a new Dumbo x6 remote and receiver today on my big rock. Setup went smooth for the most part. One problem is lack of range. Completely loses signal at around 100 feet. I ran the antenna up through the stock tube. Is that ok? Also the the truck seems to continue to accelerate for a second after I have released the trigger. Any help or advice is appreciated.

After making sure the Ant. lead is up and out as long as possible, pointing up, not touching/near any Lipo main leads,
then do a fresh Tx/Rx "Bind" again, manual in hand. Then Re-calibrate the ESC with the Radio. In this order. Per the ESC manual..
This is done with any new Radio set and Re-Calibration needed whenever the ESC is changed out, or reset to default values.
Maybe you did this already? IDK.
Where I would first start.
Good luck.
:cool:

Edit:
Use a long enough ant. tube. with a cap on top. Mount it to the Rx Box ant. hole. Affix tube in hole with the set screw that keeps the amt tube from coming out. Buy longer ant tubes if needed. They are cheap. Cut to exact length needed for the ant lead length exiting the Rx box. Don't spool up excess ant. lead inside the Rx box. The last 15-20mm of antenna lead is the actual antenna itself. The rest of the ant lead is covered with a coaxial sheath for shielding. Thought this might help.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. Im using the stock antenna tube now so I’m gonna have to find another. Maybe Amazon? I’m going to go through all the steps you listed and report back.

Thank you for this. Im using the stock antenna tube now so I’m gonna have to find another. Maybe Amazon? I’m going to go through all the steps you listed and report back.
I have 3 rigs running DumboRC X6 receivers and 2 of the transmitters. I have never had this issue. My DumboRC has stupidly good range, much more than any of the RTR stock transmitters, and farther than I can actually see the damned thing to drive it. I have used these receivers in 4 different rigs, and in each case I used the stock antenna tube. Including my Notorious and my son's KEXB. Kevin Talbot uses a DumboRC and dozens of the receivers in most of his stuff. It's plenty fast with no delay I can notice and excellent range.

Something is wrong. I suspect you have pinched or somehow damaged the receiver antenna wire. If it's not damaged or pinched along the wire itself then possibly the solder is cracked where it connects to the receiver. If you have a second one, then swap it and try that. They are like $14 a piece so I always have a spare or two. I have never had to replace one or had any range issues. Order a couple of extra receivers anyway for your next rigs and to have a spare.

You may be right about something being wrong. I repositioned the wire in the stock tube by raising it to just under the top of the tube cap. I also ordered a set of antennas just in case I need extra height. I’m going to check the range tomorrow after I go through the steps given to me in the first reply. Hopefully these steps will solve everything. Thanks for the advice

I have 3 rigs running DumboRC X6 receivers and 2 of the transmitters. I have never had this issue. My DumboRC has stupidly good range, much more than any of the RTR stock transmitters, and farther than I can actually see the damned thing to drive it. I have used these receivers in 4 different rigs, and in each case I used the stock antenna tube. Including my Notorious and my son's KEXB. Kevin Talbot uses a DumboRC and dozens of the receivers in most of his stuff. It's plenty fast with no delay I can notice and excellent range.

Something is wrong. I suspect you have pinched or somehow damaged the receiver antenna wire. If it's not damaged or pinched along the wire itself then possibly the solder is cracked where it connects to the receiver. If you have a second one, then swap it and try that. They are like $14 a piece so I always have a spare or two. I have never had to replace one or had any range issues. Order a couple of extra receivers anyway for your next rigs and to have a spare.
You were exactly right. Did some digging and found this. Ordered two more receivers today, should be here tomorrow. Any tips on routing the antenna wire through the box?

Thanks

BADDE7C4-CE02-4E84-B41D-836A6C475165.png

You were exactly right. Did some digging and found this. Ordered two more receivers today, should be here tomorrow. Any tips on routing the antenna wire through the box?

Thanks

View attachment 212865
Yep, just what I suspected. I have managed to avoid this by routing wires carefully and being extra careful when putting the lid on the receiver box. What I would do is get a nice long antenna tube and drill a hole barely large enough in the top of the radio box. Stick the antenna tube in snugly and glue it, then put sealant around the tube to be sure it’s water tight. If it’s longer and will hit the body drill a larger hole in the body so you can easily feed the antenna through the hole when you put the body on.

Ok guys, I put the new receiver in and routed the antenna very carefully through a new and taller antenna tube. Range is definitely better than stock and the connectivity issues I was having are gone. When I get time and find space I’m gonna do a proper test of the range and see if it’s what everyone says it is. Thank you guys for all the help

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back