New firma 8s 160amp esc /motor combo in infraction v2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
Hi guys!
I decided to update my 6s infraction v2 with a new Firma 160amp 8s esc and 1250kv motor combo. (Took a kraton 8s home as well out of a whim while I was there getting the combo)

Installed no problem, but that's where the good part stops.

Calibrated esc immediately and its fine regarding throttle, brake & reverse.
Now getting into programming is fine, but it's not accurate at all.

Brakes at set to 100% and doesn't like to stop.
Punch is at 5 and I'm unimpressed. I was expecting this thing to come alive and wow me, but it did not.(stock bash gear currently installed mind you) Will put speed gear in later to test that since it doesn't feel faster or more powerful to me.

Now in settings, punch is #8 and timing is #9...the esc completely skips #9 in programming and goes back to #1 after #8.

Photos during install and a few after install.

Anyone know why?

20210725_155943.jpg

20210725_163346.jpg

IMG_20210801_090627_854.jpg

IMG_20210801_090646_578.jpg

Are you running the same gearing that you did when you had the stock electronics in it? If so then its gonna feel slower The stock 2050kv motor on 6S is gonna pull about 45,510RPMs. The K8 1250KV motor on 8S is only gonna pull about 37,000RPM. You need to decrease your gear ratio either buy using bigger pinions or smaller spurs or both.

Are you running the same gearing that you did when you had the stock electronics in it? If so then its gonna feel slower The stock 2050kv motor on 6S is gonna pull about 45,510RPMs. The K8 1250KV motor on 8S is only gonna pull about 37,000RPM. You need to decrease your gear ratio either buy using bigger pinions or smaller spurs or both.
Thanks for the response. I have larger pinions and just put a 25 on it. But the main issue is why the esc is not programming correctly.

My reverse, even after being calibrated is brutal fast on the bench. Amd then cogs like a mofo when you try to go forward.
The programming is not correct per the manual and the amount of beeps I get in programming. Something is wrong. I have other firma escs and they all match the manual, this was certainly is off in one way or another.

The programming booklet attached for my brand new 160amp eac doesn't match the 160amp programmable options.

Nothing makes sense

20210801_145425.jpg

20210801_145457.jpg

20210801_145441.jpg

You need to put the ESC motor rotation in reverse as well as on your throttle setting for your radio. This will make forward faster than reverse.

You need to put the ESC motor rotation in reverse as well as on your throttle setting for your radio. This will make forward faster than reverse.
Ok. Best way to do this?

What about the programming? Doesn't match at all what the manual says that came with the new system.

It almost seems like it's following the ORIGINAL infraction manual ESC programming which is a 150amp 6s esc. This is the new firma 160amp 8s esc. Picture is of the infraction large manual and the new systems booklet for programming..

Does the receiver had any play here. That's hasn't been touched besides shaping the lead for the new esc.

So confused and the shop I bought the kit at is closed.

Why might that happen?

20210801_150250.jpg

Ok. Best way to do this?

What about the programming? Doesn't match at all what the manual says that came with the new system.

It almost seems like it's following the ORIGINAL infraction manual ESC programming which is a 150amp 6s esc. This is the new firma 160amp 8s esc. Picture is of the infraction large manual and the new systems booklet for programming..

Does the receiver had any play here. That's hasn't been touched besides shaping the lead for the new esc.

So confused and the shop I bought the kit at is closed.

Why might that happen?

View attachment 161550
So like the manual says, CCW is the default rotation. Then also set your radio throttle to REV, calibrate the ESC again, and you should be good to go. If not, try changing the radio to NOR and calibrate again.

So like the manual says, CCW is the default rotation. Then also set your radio throttle to REV, calibrate the ESC again, and you should be good to go. If not, try changing the radio to NOR and calibrate again.
My man...this NEW system is following the OLD programming for the original 6s infraction. I just went through the infraction manual programming.

I followed the 6s esc infraction manual just for shits...it's dead on. Set the reverse to lowest(25%) and that changes the reverse force.

The programming option for the 8S 160 amp ESC programming for reverse is a totally different programming number that's why I'm completely lost.

Original infraction 6s programming for reverse is number 6 and for the 8's 160 amp programming it's number 7 so it's pretty hard to mess this up.

Why is it not following the new esc programming?

Last edited:
My man...this NEW system is following the OLD programming for the original 6s infraction. I just went through the infraction manual programming.

I followed the 6s esc infraction manual just for shits...it's dead on. Set the reverse to lowest(25%) and that changes the reverse force.

The programming option for the 8S 160 amp ESC programming for reverse is a totally different programming number that's why I'm completely lost.

Original infraction 6s programming for reverse is number 6 and for the 8's 160 amp programming it's number 7 so it's pretty hard to mess this up

Why is not following the new esc programming?
No idea. You got my head spinning right now 🤣🤘🏻

No idea. You got my head spinning right now 🤣🤘🏻
Llolol. I'm completely lost. Got to wait until Tuesday til the shop is open to bring it in.

Doesn't make sense at all man. Does the receiver hold esc memory maybe?

I don't even want to put it on the street incase something happens and it just runs away on me doing 90+ hahah.

Stay tuned guys, unless someone out there has the answer or experienced this.

The program settings on the newly installed 8s esc/motot match the old 6s esc programming to the T.... baffled. 🤯

Original infraction 6s programming for reverse is number 6 and for the 8's 160 amp programming it's number 7 so it's pretty hard to mess this up

Why is not following the new esc programming?
They either put the wrong firmware on it at the factory or the existing firmware needs to be updated to the latest firmware would be my guess

I highly recommend buying the programming box to do upgrades and make changes to the ESC, following the blinks and beeps confuses me! For $30 bucks it makes sense to me.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/smart-esc-programming-update-box-avian-and-firma/SPMXCA200.html
The manual programming of the ESC doesn't bother me one bit, I actually find it quite easy. But as soon as I entered the menus on either truck immediately got confused because nothing was matching what the manuals for saying. For assistance I was adjusting timing instead of punch because something was not labeled correctly internally.

I actually have one now. It got delivered yesterday and I programed both trucks but riddle me this, the on-screen parameter still do not match what's in the manual for either ESC. On the infraction with the new 160 amp 8s ESC the programming is skipping number 3 which is low voltage cutoff altogether. I'm beyond confused at this point but I guess I will just leave things as they are unless anyone thinks I should just go back to the Hobby Shop.

I guess it's just as confusing if not more confusing as to why the 6s stock infraction system which is 150 amp ESC that I have fit into my ear Evo 2.0 doesn't match what the manual says in regards to parameters either.

Gotcha, that is really interesting. Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the ESC? Not sure if that would help, I just try avoiding the LHS, since I'm a good 45 min- an hour drive away.

I've yet to try that. I need a laptop to do so. My was stolen years ago and never replaced it. Is there a location online I can see what the latest firmware versions are supposed to be and I can check them again tonight since the escs firmware flashes for a second before programming starts

Still haven't done the firmware update. I'll update soon. I feel like my diffs are going though on the infraction. Not sure how to tell 100% without opening it up.

It doesn't click or grind, but just doesn't "feel" the same after putting the 8s system in it.

Still haven't done the firmware update. I'll update soon. I feel like my diffs are going though on the infraction. Not sure how to tell 100% without opening it up.

It doesn't click or grind, but just doesn't "feel" the same after putting the 8s system in it.

Hmm. May need a shim adjustment perhaps? 8S will defiantly cause more wear and tear, but it's usually easy to notice if a gear is broken. Luckily pulling diffs isn't too bad.

I have the same setup in my Kraton and I haven't had this issue, rather puzzling indeed, but I think imma get the program box for it also. I have one for my 2s hobbywing and its definitely better than tapping that button and counting beeps!

I have the same setup in my Kraton and I haven't had this issue, rather puzzling indeed, but I think imma get the program box for it also. I have one for my 2s hobbywing and its definitely better than tapping that button and counting beeps!
I mean for 30 bucks being able to look at a screen and have the ESC tell you current status is worth the money all day long.

Checks battery voltage of total and each cell as well.

Even the Arrma customer service representative told me that's extremely odd and wants me to send it in but I don't want to be without an ESC for 3 weeks.

The only thing it's not letting me just is the low voltage cutoff... So I don't think it's that big of a deal as it's set too high from the factory

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back