Typhon New gears and center spool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
  2. Typhon TLR
I just swapped my 50 tooth center diff for a lightweight spool and 40tooth gear. Saved 46 grams. That's almost half of what it weighed before. Wanted to go back to the 16 tooth pinion but it won't reach so I put the 20 tooth back in. Gonna test it out with the GRT tires and see what that does to my top speed. I also have a 34 tooth spur gear and a 28 tooth pinion. Is that combo too much for my factory electronics?

20/40 on factory electronics? And factory tire o.d? If yes, keep a very close eye on that esc cause that gearing is a tall order.. pull all the timing out of that setup if you want it to live...
I just swapped my 50 tooth center diff for a lightweight spool and 40tooth gear. Saved 46 grams. That's almost half of what it weighed before. Wanted to go back to the 16 tooth pinion but it won't reach so I put the 20 tooth back in. Gonna test it out with the GRT tires and see what that does to my top speed. I also have a 34 tooth spur gear and a 28 tooth pinion. Is that combo too much for my factory electronics?

34/28 will most likely end up in smoke rather quickly..

20/40 on factory electronics? And factory tire o.d? If yes, keep a very close eye on that esc cause that gearing is a tall order.. pull all the timing out of that setup if you want it to live...

34/28 will most likely end up in smoke rather quickly..
Unfortunately 40 was the largest gear they had for the spool. That's why I wanted to try the 16 tooth first but they are too small to touch each other. Also I am.on GRP Street tires so a little smaller diameter.

Thanks for the advice about timing. I guess the safest bet is to turn that all the way down and work up from there? I plan to bring a promoter and check temps between runs.

The grp tire o.d will help being slightly smaller.. I would say yes to setting the timing at 0* and checking temps is the right approach.. 👍

I really need to do a better job of recording my actual speeds because I forgot some of the numbers. My first pass today was with the 40 tooth spur and 20t pinion and had the timing backed off to the first setting that wasn't 0. Was a bit disappointed with a run in the upper 50s. I expected the reduction to 40 from 50 would be more than enough to compensate for the smaller tires.

My second pass I played with the punch and timing and after a few passes saw mid 60s.

Finally I installed a 28t pinion and turned the timing back down. This saw my first 70mph pass. I turned the timing back up to 22.5 and it ran 74mph after many passes on that battery. I think there is more in it. Gonna charge a pack tonight and try tomorrow with the 36t spur. My Temps stayed under 100 all day but I also added a castle fan and shroud.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back