Granite New Granite 3s cogging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked over the truck and everything seems smooth. I don’t think the drive train is to blame.

I may have figured out the issue. I’m pretty sure it’s my old batteries. I’m using a 5000mah 20c 2s and 6400mah 30c 3s. For some reason I thought they were higher c rating than that. They are both more than 5 years old so I would bet their c ratings are even lower than stated. They may just not have enough juice to get it started causing it to cog until it gets moving. I turned the punch down to 1 to see if that helps and I’ll buy some new batteries too. I’ll report back once I tested it again.

What packs are you all using in this thing?
Man, that totally makes sense And hope a newer battery works. I have mostly 80c batteries, basic affordable ones from Zee and Hoovoo and they work good enough for 3s bashing. Eventually I will get better ones but right now I’m sitting in the bargen basement because I can’t stop spending money on parts, bodies, paint and other stuff 🤣

Wellp finally got to test the new batteries and no luck even with the punch set to 1. Still cogging like crazy and some times refusing to move. Now with a new problem the bec was browning out and I was losing my servo every now and then. When I got up close I could hear the fan slowing down and speeding up. Then it kicked back to full speed and I got the servo back. I guess I’ll be trying to file a warranty claim hopefully the hobby shop that I got it from will help me out.

Wellp finally got to test the new batteries and no luck even with the punch set to 1. Still cogging like crazy and some times refusing to move. Now with a new problem the bec was browning out and I was losing my servo every now and then. When I got up close I could hear the fan slowing down and speeding up. Then it kicked back to full speed and I got the servo back. I guess I’ll be trying to file a warranty claim hopefully the hobby shop that I got it from will help me out.
You do know punch setting 1 is the lowest setting, right?

You do know punch setting 1 is the lowest setting, right?
Yes, it’s a softer start setting and is typically easer on the esc. I was trying to minimize strain on the esc to see if the cogging would clear up it didn’t regardless of settings or battery used.
I'd talk to your hobby shop or contact horizon. It must be faulty.

You shouldn't have to play with the punch setting just to get the truck to operate.
Yea looks like I’ll be trying to do a warranty claim. I’ll let you know how it goes.

A broken or bad ESC can definitely cause cogging. Had the exact same thing happen to me on my senton. Ran fine once it got going (usually from a push start), even at full throttle. But from a stand still it would just cog until the esc went into limp mode and I had to restart it. Took everything apart on the truck, was pulling my hair out trying to figure what it was. I finally borrowed the same esc from my buddy's typhon, installed it in my senton and it ran like new. I filed a warranty to replace the esc, got the new one installed, and problem solved!

If it passes the push test (meaning it rolls for a while when you give it a good push), then its probably not physical resistance (drag from friction, bad bearings, tight gear mesh, etc). And it is probably electrical.

Good luck and hopefully the new esc comes quick!

A broken or bad ESC can definitely cause cogging. Had the exact same thing happen to me on my senton. Ran fine once it got going (usually from a push start), even at full throttle. But from a stand still it would just cog until the esc went into limp mode and I had to restart it. Took everything apart on the truck, was pulling my hair out trying to figure what it was. I finally borrowed the same esc from my buddy's typhon, installed it in my senton and it ran like new. I filed a warranty to replace the esc, got the new one installed, and problem solved!

If it passes the push test (meaning it rolls for a while when you give it a good push), then its probably not physical resistance (drag from friction, bad bearings, tight gear mesh, etc). And it is probably electrical.

Good luck and hopefully the new esc comes quick!
Well the hobby shop couldn’t duplicate the issue so they didn’t warranty it. They want me to gear down first to try and fix the issue. I’m not convinced it will help. If I wanna warranty it I’ll have to deal with horizon directly.

I think part of the problem is I’m running on 2s at 50% throttle a lot in the back yard which keeps the system at a lower speed than it likes and probably contributed to the problem in the first place. Everything was fine at first so I fell like I’ll probably end up in the same boat after a few packs even with a new esc. Im going to try out my other esc but if that doesn’t fix it Ill swap in a momba X sensored system or XR8 SCT pro.

You're not using an adapter on the battery are you? Had the same problem with one on my new Big Rock when I was using a crappy adapter. Also what size is the pinion? Stock is 15T but my brother's brand new car came with a 23T for no reason and it was terrible. Took us ages to realise it wasn't correct size.

My old batteries had the adaptor I thought that might be part of the problem so the new batterie I bought has the EC5 connector.

It’s got the 15t on there which is fine on 3s 75% at the big track/field we go to. The truck just didn’t like going at 75%/50% with 2s or 3s power in the back yard. The back yard is pretty tight with some slight slopes so going faster than 25-30mph isn’t really possible. Since it’s a small area he is constantly stoping and starting which probably didn’t help.

Most people probably aren’t driving this thing at slow speed like we are so I’m sure it’s not really designed for what we are doing with it in the back yard.

I went to a 12t pinion and it seems better as long as the punch is on 1. We only drove it like that for a few minutes so far. We will se how it holds up. The weather is crap so everything is swampy we probably won’t get to drive much this weekend. Worst case I’ll get a sensored system for slower driving.

Ok seems much better after 4 more packs with the 12t.

The truck still doesn’t like 50% on 2 or 3s. But with the lower gearing it’s slow enough for him at 75%. It runs at about 25mph and with the punch set to 3 it can still pop wheelies. Hopefully it holds up.

Well the hobby shop couldn’t duplicate the issue so they didn’t warranty it. They want me to gear down first to try and fix the issue. I’m not convinced it will help. If I wanna warranty it I’ll have to deal with horizon directly.

I think part of the problem is I’m running on 2s at 50% throttle a lot in the back yard which keeps the system at a lower speed than it likes and probably contributed to the problem in the first place. Everything was fine at first so I fell like I’ll probably end up in the same boat after a few packs even with a new esc. Im going to try out my other esc but if that doesn’t fix it Ill swap in a momba X sensored system or XR8 SCT pro.
I will agree with this. I'm doing the exact same thing with my 5 year old. I have him run his 3s granite on 2s at 50% power, and it cogs alot at slower speed. Like getting going from a stop especially. I don't think the Arrma/spektrum electronics were designed for "slow" speeds in mind--more 1/2 to full throttle stuff. If the ESC settings were more modifiable (i suspect a default high timing on the motor is the cause here), then you might be able to adjust the right parameters and fix it, but overall I do think part of it is the slow driving. As for my son, he is still learning and frequently puts his granite into "limp" mode when it cogs too much, but it just takes a reset and it's back to normal.

Ok seems much better after 4 more packs with the 12t.

The truck still doesn’t like 50% on 2 or 3s. But with the lower gearing it’s slow enough for him at 75%. It runs at about 25mph and with the punch set to 3 it can still pop wheelies. Hopefully it holds up.
Thanks for the update! One other thing worth mentioning, the stock servo's are hit or miss. I have read a couple forum posts where the failed servo has killed the receiver. Doesn't sound like the case here but I was surprised to read about it. Probably would put alot of strain on the BEC in the ESC too.

Good luck!

Thanks for the update! One other thing worth mentioning, the stock servo's are hit or miss. I have read a couple forum posts where the failed servo has killed the receiver. Doesn't sound like the case here but I was surprised to read about it. Probably would put alot of strain on the BEC in the ESC too.

Good luck!
Funny you mention this my stock servo died not long after getting the gearing figured out might have been browning out the receiver and adding to my issue. I threw a spare waterproof servo in it and all is good now.

We also did the wide mod with typhoon rpm arms and turnbuckles and it makes a huge difference in handling and a lot less roll overs. It’s a worthwhile upgrade and gives the truck a nice stance too.

Oh yea! Got a pic!? I bet it looks cool.

Oh yea! Got a pic!? I bet it looks cool.

Here it is with the wide mod. Makes it a bout 1.25 inches wider over all.
43ABCCFC-FC51-420B-A4BA-7EA178B89CE5.jpeg

D4F46300-AEE4-47B3-904F-B3E73A58EB6E.jpeg

The stock 35mm turnbuckles were a little short so there was a bit more negative camber than I liked. I went to the 63mm turnbuckles (50mm would have been better). I turned the rod ends all the way in until I had about 1.5 degrees of negative camber all the way around. The steering rods were the same way but the 63mm turnbuckles were too long so I used the longer rod end with the 35mm turnbuckle and it worked out perfect.

Front with typhoon arms rear is stock.
674AAAC7-B4A4-437F-8C08-0E3FAE3FC5B2.jpeg

Stock turnbuckle with stock arm
A632081B-6F58-458E-8A47-FAE7D029CA84.png

Stock turnbuckles with typhoon arms. It works but it’s only a few threads so it’s prone to ripping out like this.
5A046362-178C-4138-8EC0-C86643E53318.png

Typhoon arms with long turnbuckles and longer end links for the steering tie rods.
55254A7C-9DD4-46A2-9931-5D2EC4B76E7F.jpeg

It was a bit of a struggle to get the rod ends down far enough on the 63mm turnbuckles to get the camber setting I wanted. I think the smaller 50mm turnbuckles would have been better. But either will do the job and they won’t be ripping out they are deep in the rod ends. So far the drive shafts seem fine for 2s not sure how they would hold up on 3s tho.

Here are some part numbers and comparison for you
FAA690A1-2BAF-4D55-AA7B-9D026BF2746F.jpeg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back