Granite New Granite 3S or tear down and rebuild the old one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgorfido

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Good morning, just was wondering what the general consensus would be, I have a year old granite that I have beat up pretty regularly, upgraded parts so it doesn't break much anymore unless I mess up a 20ft landing. But the motor is toast and I rigged the last warranty one after the bottom bearing blew and tore up that wavy washer. It is now about a year and half old so no more warranty parts so I was going to order the hobby wing motor and esc but then I figured maybe just buy a new one and use the old one for parts here and there. I am sure I will blow another motor so at least it would be back under warranty so in the long run it might save me money to spend the extra money on a new one.

We have 2 granites, one is my sons, kraton 6S, Notorious 6s and the typhon 6S. While I love the 6S, the 3s are a lot of fun also so I probably will keep at least one for each of us. Although I wouldnt mind a big rock 3s and an exb kraton....and a talion 6s...but right now my decision is a new granite and rebuild everything from the chassis up or a new one. Whatcha think? We do construction site bashing, no racing and jump as big as we can depending on the hills we can find.

Thanks

Rebuild and make it better. Check out Jenny's for cheap parts from the new version that will fit yours. Use the savings to upgrade. In the end will be better then a new 1

Rebuild and make it better. Check out Jenny's for cheap parts from the new version that will fit yours. Use the savings to upgrade. In the end will be better then a new 1
Thanks LS, I have the upgraded parts on this granite, well I have upgraded parts on both granites. RPM arms, servos, diffs, shocks etc that I could transfer over to a new one. I am just to the point where I probably need a new motor, I have a new 3s arrma esc sitting there. Never had an issue with the blx motors other than the rear bearing blowings out and damaging the wavy washer. I don't think the new firma versions have that, I don't know about the hobbywing either.

Although we don't like to admit it, stuff wears out.

I would do a calculation to see what the rebuild cost would be. If it's more than your threshold (say 50% or 70% of new) then keep it for parts and buy a new one. And like you said, you get a warranty with a new truck.

Also, Hobbywing is not the only source of motors. Hobbystar motors are also pretty decent for a good price.

Do you have the V2 or V3 granite?
Pretty sure its the v2, bought it over a year ago. Blx version, not firma which is why I was thinking of just buying a new one
Although we don't like to admit it, stuff wears out.

I would do a calculation to see what the rebuild cost would be. If it's more than your threshold (say 50% or 70% of new) then keep it for parts and buy a new one. And like you said, you get a warranty with a new truck.

Also, Hobbywing is not the only source of motors. Hobbystar motors are also pretty decent for a good price.
Thanks. I will check the reviews of the hobbystar, everyone just always recommends the hobbywing. I don't mind spending extra on something that will last longer. I never minded the BLX motors, that ran great just always blew that back bearing and broke that washer. I ran mine for the last 2 months without that wavy washer and it finally went yesterday so its time to decide!

Do the calculation, but I think it could be worth buying a new V3 and use it as a parts donor. Basically, you would be your own part breaker. ;)

That's what I did when I needed to upgrade a Granite Mega to 3S and I really don't regret it. I love having all these parts ready to install.

If you go that route, I suggest you only use the new parts you need from the new RC to repair the old one (and keep the rest brand new). Maybe that's just me and my OCD, but I prefer keeping brand new spare parts instead of a beat up POS as a part donor.

Last edited:
For me personally. I like building and upgrading. I only buy new rtr for spare parts. I like building/rebuilding and upgrade. Better bearings, arm, esc and motor.
Do the calculation, but I think it could be worth buying a new V3 and use it as a parts donor. Basically, you would be your own part breaker. ;)

That's what I did when I needed to upgrade a Granite Mega to 3S and I really don't regret it. I love having all these parts ready to install.

If you go that route, I suggest you only use the new parts you need from the new RC to repair the old one (and keep the rest brand new). Maybe that's just me and my OCD, but I prefer keeping brand new spare parts instead of a beat up POS as a parts donor.
Thats what I do. Its cheaper in the long run and always have all the parts available. Then I buy the part that breaks. To keep the kit complete. You can also sell the parts you don't need. TX/RX, motor and esc.

So I'd definitely suggest as @Lovestricken did to rebuild. Not only can you get parts dirt cheap from JennysRC.com but not sure if you have noticed all the posts about the v3 chassis breaking. I'm thinking they changed something in the chemistry with the v3 chassis material. I too have the v2 and absolutely send it hard and have had some landings that I still don't know how the chassis has held up but it is not phased after a year of abuse. Especially if you already have say 70-80% of the rig and just need things here and there definitely fix the v2. **Also warranty is 2yrs** so you should still be able to put in a claim and get replacement parts👍

So I'd definitely suggest as @Lovestricken did to rebuild. Not only can you get parts dirt cheap from JennysRC.com but not sure if you have noticed all the posts about the v3 chassis breaking. I'm thinking they changed something in the chemistry with the v3 chassis material. I too have the v2 and absolutely send it hard and have had some landings that I still don't know how the chassis has held up but it is not phased after a year of abuse. Especially if you already have say 70-80% of the rig and just need things here and there definitely fix the v2. **Also warranty is 2yrs** so you should still be able to put in a claim and get replacement parts👍
I guess HH was not making much money on V2 parts. So they made the V3 weaker. Broke 2 chassis so far.

I have broken 2 v2 chassis and I send it 50+ ft high. I have 4 spare chassis that will probably never get used.

I've pretty much replaced anything that's broken on my V2 with V3 parts. V3 chassis, bumper, motor pull tab, body posts and V3 body.

Same because that is what is available. I broke lots of v2 LWB chassis all in the same place under the front diff or right behind there.

Someone told me they reinforced the v3 chassis there but since I changed rx/tx and my driving has improved I haven't t-boned an immovable object recently (knock on wood) and it's 0°c or below around here so I am not exactly sending it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back