Granite New Granite 4x4 BLX 3s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard October some time. And it should be a decent 1/10 scale MT. A lot of people have converted their brushed Granites to essentially the same thing, give or take a few things. I know I love my Granite.

I think (read hope) the BLX3s Granite 4x4 should be a home run. My mega with upgraded driveline has been very solid - running BLX185 power on 4s. Every issue I have had with the driveline has been addressed in the BLX3s version. Also, the shock spring perches that so many people have had issue with were also beefed up. I think that only leaves the bumper/skid plate as a possible weak spot, but T-bone has us covered there.

My 7yr old daughter received hers today. It's a fun little truck. I reduced the punch to 1 and increased the brakes to 75%. On 2s this little truck is very quick, but those changes I made to the esc settings reduced traction rolling and excessive wheelys. This is an almost perfect entry level brushless truck, but in no way is it on the level of my Proline ProMT. This is a 1/10th scale truck. Shocks, gears, driveline are everything you'd expect a tough 1/10th to be. It's not a mini outcast. You're not going to launch it 60ft and expect no breakage. It's a heck of a backyard basher and my daughter has already run 2 5000mah 2s packs through it since it arrived this afternoon. Its early, but so far it looks to be a really tough(7 yr old daughter tough) truck.
20180929_172423.jpg
20180929_172453.jpg

This looks to be an old thread but thought I’d try posting here instead of creating a new thread.

I just purchased my son a Granite 4x4. It has 50 to 60 minutes of medium-grade use on it (no jumps, no crashes, just ripping around our side yard), and the motor is smoking (pungent electrical smell). We’ve been running a 3S lipo on it.

Is this a result of light snow on the ground? Or I s this a symptom of pushing the vehicle too hard? Faulty motor? Open to any thoughts, suggestions, or investigative measures.

Thanks,

Christopher

This looks to be an old thread but thought I’d try posting here instead of creating a new thread.

I just purchased my son a Granite 4x4. It has 50 to 60 minutes of medium-grade use on it (no jumps, no crashes, just ripping around our side yard), and the motor is smoking (pungent electrical smell). We’ve been running a 3S lipo on it.

Is this a result of light snow on the ground? Or I s this a symptom of pushing the vehicle too hard? Faulty motor? Open to any thoughts, suggestions, or investigative measures.

Thanks,

Christopher
Just to clarify, is it the Mega brushed version it the BLX 3S version?

Just to clarify, is it the Mega brushed version it the BLX 3S version?
Ha! Well, I thought it was the BLX, but upon investigating the motor, I noticed it says “MEGA” on the bottom side. So, I guess it’s the MEGA.

Attachments

• 0895CDCE-C8C2-46B3-A50E-C31A4EA2702B.jpeg
    0895CDCE-C8C2-46B3-A50E-C31A4EA2702B.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 157168FE-2641-4A8F-8A63-BD33111B6023.jpeg
    157168FE-2641-4A8F-8A63-BD33111B6023.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 48
Ha! Well, I thought it was the BLX, but upon investigating the motor, I noticed it says “MEGA” on the bottom side. So, I guess it’s the MEGA.
Those brushed motors don't last long on 3S. They are basically a consumable. I'm sure there are better brushed motors out there. @Cheapbastard knows way more than I when it comes motors so maybe he can suggest a decent one.

If you want to convert to the 3S brushless version, we can help ???

+1 on brushed w/ 3s; limited use, speed-run-on-tarmac-then-cooldown, have extra motors on-hand, type of thing.
also, snow can be deceptive; it loads up the drivetrain more than you (read: I) would think.

Wow - great advice here already. Thank you.

(1) I would like to know what a good 3S upgrade is. Thanks in advance.

(2) If I drop back to 2S immediately, do you think I can get a little more life out of this motor?

To my own embarrassment, I didn’t even consider that I was looking at a brushed motor—I’m used to RC planes and race wings.

Thanks for the great insights already.

Wow - great advice here already. Thank you.

(1) I would like to know what a good 3S upgrade is. Thanks in advance.

(2) If I drop back to 2S immediately, do you think I can get a little more life out of this motor?

To my own embarrassment, I didn’t even consider that I was looking at a brushed motor—I’m used to RC planes and race wings.

Thanks for the great insights already.
Anything but a mild 3S brushless upgrade is going to require some upgrades to the drivetrain. I'm not sure exactly what the total cost is but between the new ESC, motor and drivetrain components you are looking at over $100 for sure. My advice is to get a replacement brushed motor for this truck, give it to your kid if you have one, and buy the 3S version. It's just easier.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back