Granite New granite BLX NiMh problems power cuts out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzle000

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so today I got a new granite blx a 5000 mah 6cell nimh battery (for my son) and a couple 5000mah 50c 2 s lipos. My question is I set the esc to nimh everything works fine when you have the transmitter set to 75% but when you turn it up to 100% and punch it, it will go hard then say you hit a hard turn and spin out and get on the throttle again it goes blah.... almost like it has 50% power I pulled the body off to check the esc lights and they seem to be blinking normal. So I turn the truck off and back on again and all is good until you do it again, is this low voltage cutoff, or is the esc trying to pull to much power from the nimh batteries and triggers a cut off? I haven’t tried it out yet with the 2 s battery to see if it does the same thing or not.

Last edited:
Hey everyone so today I got a new granite blx a 5000 mah 6cell nimh battery (for my son) and a couple 5000mah 30c 2 s lipos. My question is I set the esc to nimh everything works fine when you have the transmitter set to 75% but when you turn it up to 100% and punch it, it will go hard then say you hit a hard turn and spin out and get on the throttle again it goes blah.... almost like it has 50% power I pulled the body off to check the esc lights and they seem to be blinking normal. So I turn the truck off and back on again and all is good until you do it again, is this low voltage cutoff, or is the esc trying to pull to much power from the nimh batteries and triggers a cut off? I haven’t tried it out yet with the 2 s battery to see if it does the same thing or not.
Mine does the same thing on 6 cell nimh, I just don't think they have the amperage to keep up.

have you configured nimh mode? something similar happened to me and that was the problem

The ESC is programmed to go into 50% "limp mode" when lipo voltage gets too low. The NIMH cannot handle the current draw of the ESC during hard acceleration and the voltage drops. The ESC thinks it is seeing a lipo running out of juice and decides to go limp.

As @Rodrigol pointed out, setting the ESC to NIMH mode should resolve the issue. However, i have heard in this forum that arrma have cut the NIMH mode from the ESCs they currently deliver with BLX models, so you might be out of luck.
Has your son not come of lipo-age yet? :D

30C LiPos might be cutting it pretty close for the Granite as well. Hope they work out (y)

Hi

Try setting the LVC as low as it will go but only for the NIMH packs.

The ESC is programmed to go into 50% "limp mode" when lipo voltage gets too low. The NIMH cannot handle the current draw of the ESC during hard acceleration and the voltage drops. The ESC thinks it is seeing a lipo running out of juice and decides to go limp.

As @Rodrigol pointed out, setting the ESC to NIMH mode should resolve the issue. However, i have heard in this forum that arrma have cut the NIMH mode from the ESCs they currently deliver with BLX models, so you might be out of luck.
Has your son not come of lipo-age yet? :D

30C LiPos might be cutting it pretty close for the Granite as well. Hope they work out (y)

hmm definitely makes sense there is a nimh mode I had set it to, but my guess is the draw is to much. I had made a typo in my original the lipos I have are 50c so I’ll give them a go today see what happens, would be nice to be able to use nimh at 100% I wonder is the 7cell would be my better Ilike the idea of the nimh for the kids while I’m at work do t want them messin with lipos diffintaly to young

hmm definitely makes sense there is a nimh mode I had set it to, but my guess is the draw is to much. I had made a typo in my original the lipos I have are 50c so I’ll give them a go today see what happens, would be nice to be able to use nimh at 100% I wonder is the 7cell would be my better Ilike the idea of the nimh for the kids while I’m at work do t want them messin with lipos diffintaly to young
I would not have expected it to do that in NIMH mode. 7 cells might help, but I don't know personally. Maybe @slick2500 has some experience?

You can also try lowering the punch setting on the ESC. It will make acceleration a little worse, but that means it also flattens those large spikes in current. Maybe it is enough to keep the car from going limp.

Last edited:
So I think it is a power draw deal.. I ran my 5000 mah 50c 2s LiPo and didn’t have any problems at all right up to the LiPo voltage cutoff, my guess is that the draw is to much on the nimh so it goes into 50%limp mode to protect the battery, but That’s mainly when you run it in 100% if you run it in 75% it’s fine up until the end. My next test will be to mess around with the punch setting see if that helps when I’m to 100% mode .

I've run mine with 7-cell NiMH and had no issues, other than when I left the ESC in Lipo mode. I had full power until the battery was drained.

Hi, I've received my Granite BLX couple of weeks ago and I run it with 5000mah Nimh 7 cells 8.4V batteries.
I've too set the battery mode to Nimh (2) and have similar symptoms that if power is 100% it will slow down quite fast.
Punch setting was default (3) on first run => couple of donuts and went to limp mode (ESC blinking red led). Restart ESC and driving with 75% was ok till the end.
Next time punch setting was raised to 5, I could run almost 5 minutes with 100% until limp mode. It depends the way you drive, I think.
Now I have set punch setting back to 3 and I'm about to do more testing.

This is not happening on 75% power settings.

What I believe is that this car needs more power what Lipos can offer but those are out of question for me since I'm living on a flat apartment with small child and I'm also away a lot. Even using bat-safe type of safety box, If something happens when away, smoke can destroy the apartment.

I've heard that Nimh type of batteries needs proper 5 amps charging and requires couple of cycles before to be able to give full power. Let's see what happens. Also I've been thinking to buy 8-cell Traxxas Nimh 5000mah 9.6V (if suitable adapters are found) to see if it works better.

What about LiFePo4 batteries? There are at least couple of videos people using them. Should give same benefits as LiPo but not be able to burst on fire.
Example these one
https://www.maxamps.com/green-series-life-4500-3s-9-9v-battery-pack
https://www.maxamps.com/green-series-life-4500-4s-13-2v-battery-pack
Would these work?

My charger handles LiFe batteries too.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back