New Hobbywing max6+1100kv testing. Shuts down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odraciRRicardo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi,
I'm new to the hobby and been lurking for a while, this is my first post. Great community!

I bought a hobbywing max6+1100kv combo.
After soldering EC5 connectors I decided to test it before mounting it in the car.

If I do a couple of seconds of full throttle the esc shuts down and wont turn on again until around 5min later.
Neither the motor or esc get noticeable warmer.
Once it comes back if I use the throttle a little, it never goes off.

Is this normal behavior or is the esc broken?
If normal and I'm not supposed to hit full throttle without load, what exactly is happening? Some safe guard? Why does it take 5min to start again?

Thanks for the help.

When you say full throttle do you mean tires spinning or just the motor spinning? And shuts down do you mean it actually powers off or do the lights blink?

Either way, I wouldn't do fun throttle unless your testing kv or know exactly what your doing.whatever is happening the esc appartly don't like it.slow down,or you'll end up wasting alot of $hit.hook things up right,reserch,learn,,then pin it to win it🤙
Either way, I wouldn't do fun throttle unless your testing kv or know exactly what your doing.whatever is happening the esc appartly don't like it.slow down,or you'll end up wasting alot of $hit.hook things up right,reserch,learn,,then pin it to win it🤙
Welcome to the forum..
Are the packs your useing fully charged???could be hitting lvc.id read manual,program esc correctly, choose correct gearing,do things in correct steps an you'll enjoy the hobby...these systems can be very dangerous.the problem could be multiple things

Last edited:
Might be a safe guard.. Might not be, did u see any lights come on, too bad you didnt video it!! What batteries are u using and how old are they, have u tested their cells, hard cookie to crack that max6.. Or so ive heard!! 🤣

Thanks for all the comments so far.
Here a video

Full throttle for a few seconds was fine this time, but braking did it immediately.
It shuts down and won't come back for many minutes.

I was just doing a quick test before installing this in the car (I need a new pinion, arriving in a few days)
Curious if this is normal. If so, why? Or if it's broken?
If this still happens once installed of course I'll send it back.

Are you going over 160Amp? Sounds like that is the problem. Had that happening to me in the Limitless and the 4985 1100kv motor. Use a smaller pinion and see if it still shuts off.

Are you going over 160Amp? Sounds like that is the problem. Had that happening to me in the Limitless and the 4985 1100kv motor. Use a smaller pinion and see if it still shuts off.
I posted a video, but post under approval for now.
I'm not using a pinion. Just testing with ESC and motor siting on a table.

Yours, when it shut off, could you turn it on again immediately after?

I think it is shutting down because it is unloaded. Iirc it's not good for the motor or the esc.

I think it is shutting down because it is unloaded. Iirc it's not good for the motor or the esc.
Well, ESC is definitely gone now. After doing what I did in the video, it won't turn on anymore. Motor is fine.

I have a spare spectrum esc + motor, and did the same (brave or stupid) and all is fine.

The motor manual (not esc) warns against running it without load as it might generate too much heat. Understandable, but it's difinetly not what happened here.

Pretty certain I got a dud esc.

Well, ESC is definitely gone now. After doing what I did in the video, it won't turn on anymore. Motor is fine.

I have a spare spectrum esc + motor, and did the same (brave or stupid) and all is fine.

The motor manual (not esc) warns against running it without load as it might generate too much heat. Understandable, but it's difinetly not what happened here.

Pretty certain I got a dud esc.
Well that sucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back