New HPI Savage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checking my old notes, the only Savage diff setup that ever held up for me was the machined bulletproof ring/pinion gears on HB D8T cases with D8T hardened steel sun/planetary gears. Prior to that it would eat diffs of all flavours. Stripped ring and pinion gears, shattered internal gears, and my favourite: blown undersized 10x16mm bearing on the case side that was effectively the only option for a long time because neither HPI nor aftermarket vendors could figure out how to integrate a steel bearing holder that would allow for the use of a proper 8x16mm bearing on both sides.

The best Savage diffs ever circa 2012, parts to build them probably haven't been available for close to a decade at this point unfortunately. Looking at these pictures again made me remember how annoying they were to build because the outside diameter of the outdrive cups was larger than the inside diameter of diff shims, meaning one had to take the whole thing apart to add or remove a shim and then put them back together to test the fit. I wonder if this is still the case on the new trucks.

savage_diff_01.jpg

savage_diff_02.jpg

The best Savage diffs ever circa 2012, parts to build them probably haven't been available for close to a decade at this point unfortunately. Looking at these pictures again made me remember how annoying they were to build because the outside diameter of the outdrive cups was larger than the inside diameter of diff shims, meaning one had to take the whole thing apart to add or remove a shim and then put them back together to test the fit. I wonder if this is still the case on the new trucks.

LOL, yes.

They now have cast aluminum diff cases with forged ring and pinion gears, but the internal gears are still sintered metal and greased. Some people seem to have good luck with some Chinese hardened sun/spider gears, I'll probably try those out in the future.

Checking my old notes, the only Savage diff setup that ever held up for me was the machined bulletproof ring/pinion gears on HB D8T cases with D8T hardened steel sun/planetary gears. Prior to that it would eat diffs of all flavours. Stripped ring and pinion gears, shattered internal gears, and my favourite: blown undersized 10x16mm bearing on the case side that was effectively the only option for a long time because neither HPI nor aftermarket vendors could figure out how to integrate a steel bearing holder that would allow for the use of a proper 8x16mm bearing on both sides.

View attachment 190141
View attachment 190142

Nope those diffs are still available, HPI uses them in the Vorza still the same HB Racing part numbers too.

I'd love to get one of these trucks as I like the design, and having different rigs but the buy-in is a lil steep. More importantly I've really gone overboard this past year with new rigs.🤔
Me too but for $200 less I can a Revo 3.3 or a Hobao Hyper MT.

Nope those diffs are still available, HPI uses them in the Vorza still the same HB Racing part numbers too.

Nice, thanks for the info. I have about $150 in diff parts coming in through various warranties and other stuff, will give the Vorza parts a try if (when?) they blow up again. 😀

This is only the second battery through the truck -- completely stock, it honestly drives almost as well as my tuned MT410. When a car drives this well, you feel like you can do anything with it!

Nice, thanks for the info. I have about $150 in diff parts coming in through various warranties and other stuff, will give the Vorza parts a try if (when?) they blow up again. 😀

This is only the second battery through the truck -- completely stock, it honestly drives almost as well as my tuned MT410. When a car drives this well, you feel like you can do anything with it!

You mean until it blows a diff? 🤣✌️

I always thought Savage handling and driving characteristics were underrated. Lots of people claimed that it handles like a brick on wheels but with the right oils, springs and tires mine drove pretty well. Looks like HPI has done a good job configuring this one out of the box.

Damn! Almost tripp'd those tabletops!

I only know this because I have a Hot Bodies D8T they share a ton of parts it's almost like comparing a Kraton to a Typhon except they use the same diffs. All of the Hot Bodies 1/8 diffs up until the E/D8T Evo use the same parts iirc.

LOL 😂 That was a great bash tho, seriously 👍
Great vid as usual! Nice driving 😎

Thanks, one of the most fun bashes in a long time! I always think it's funny when people say I can't drive or don't send it. These are completely stock cars I'm bashing, not $3k m2c rigs running Max6/8S combos. All of my cars are 99% stock, with maybe $30 of upgrades at most.
I always thought Savage handling and driving characteristics were underrated. Lots of people claimed that it handles like a brick on wheels but with the right oils, springs and tires mine drove pretty well. Looks like HPI has done a good job configuring this one out of the box.

I never drove a nitro Savage, but this Flux is pretty amazing. The TVP seems to have the rigidity in all directions without all the extra weight of say an Arrma 6S chassis which needs to have the extra T2T to avoid the flat chassis taco'ing. I think that's part of why it drives so well, it's rigid and light.

Thanks, one of the most fun bashes in a long time! I always think it's funny when people say I can't drive or don't send it. These are completely stock cars I'm bashing, not $3k m2c rigs running Max6/8S combos. All of my cars are 99% stock, with maybe $30 of upgrades at most.

I never drove a nitro Savage, but this Flux is pretty amazing. The TVP seems to have the rigidity in all directions without all the extra weight of say an Arrma 6S chassis which needs to have the extra T2T to avoid the flat chassis taco'ing. I think that's part of why it drives so well, it's rigid and light.
Agreed, these rigs are seriously tough out of the box, but 75' sends are gonna cost some upgrades for any of them to really survive.
Also, I saw ur track vid with the v2 maxx, she's dialed👌 Impressive for an MT. I don't see any lack of driving skills. 😎

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back