Kraton New Kraton 6s questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpark_12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
I just picked up the Kraton 6s V5 last night. I plan on running it in 4s for now. I don’t want to break stuff right away. I ran it for the first time today and it’s pretty badass! My question is, I’ve seen people recommend to put extra shims in the diffs, but do both need it? Also, I plan on taking the motor out tonight and putting loctite on the pinion set screw. Any other recommendations while I’m working on it? I’ve read through the mods page, but they seem a little outdated. Thanks for any info!

I just picked up the Kraton 6s V5 last night. I plan on running it in 4s for now. I don’t want to break stuff right away. I ran it for the first time today and it’s pretty badass! My question is, I’ve seen people recommend to put extra shims in the diffs, but do both need it? Also, I plan on taking the motor out tonight and putting loctite on the pinion set screw. Any other recommendations while I’m working on it? I’ve read through the mods page, but they seem a little outdated. Thanks for any info!

Unfortunately only you can answer that question.. read up on how to shim diffs properly, then take it from there.. 👍

Each diff is different, and apparently the later diffs need less shimming than earlier ones, but I would be willing to bet every single factory diff could benefit from shimming in some way, whether that is behind the sun gear, the input pinion, the axle outdrives or the main gear side. Even if they don't need shimming it is worth opening them up to check oil levels and fill/change fluids.

Btw there are 3 diffs, with one in the centre that still needs shimming. You just don't shim the main gear side

I just bought a K6s V5 too. This is what I’m doing before first run.

- Check all nuts and bolts for any loose ones.
- Open all 3 diffs to check oil level, should be 2mm from top I believe, grease the rear and front diff rings if necessary.
- Open all 4 shocks to check oil level, don’t remember the correct level without checking the manual.
- Check tyres, that they are glued properly.
- Check gear mesh from pinion on motor to center diff ring, lots of how to videos on youtube.
- Check if rear and front diff need any shims, also how to videos on youtube.
- Setting steering endpoints so servo linkage won’t touch into anything.
- Cable management.

These are optional, but I’m doing them.
- Painting the inside of body with bedliner to make it stronger. I use raptor liner.
- Switching out bushings in steering to ball bearings.
- Putting a C clip beneath the servo saver spring to make it tighter in order to make the rig steer better in higher speeds.
- Installing a front bumper because I’m going to crash.
- Installing a rear mudguard, because everything will get flung from the front tire and destroy everything in the rear.

shim your diffs if they need it put some fuel tube on your front shocks or take the spacers of the front arms put a 14 tooth pinion on your motor and run 6s with a fan on your motor also look at doing the servo saver mod

Lots of different ideas about what to do… i’ll share what I do.

Took out and had fun, until something broke. Lol. Really, it’s a toy. No biggie, things will break even if you follow every precaution. I do understand, breaking down and re-building is part of the fun for me too.

I’m a budget basher. Run it till it can’t run.

Enjoy!
(I have Kraton too, a little over 2 years now. Super solid. Worst thing is the diffs… i kept stripping gears. Swapped to ESB spiral cut gears. No more problems)

Oh! Pickup a 3d-rc wing mount! I must have broken 3-4 wing mounts, destroying the plastic bulkheads in the process. The 3d printed wing mounts are great. Very flexible, haven't broken one yet. (6months or so)
I haven’t opened up my shocks, ever. Still runs/jumps good.

Just sharing to show the huge differences on how to run our RC’s. Have fun!

Well, I took it to the skate park with some buddies tonight and a few things happened. First, my passenger CV axel came out of the socket, easy fix, second, my front bumper broke off, and third, looks like my bolt holes in one of the body mount posts is stripped out. Other than those, I bashed it pretty good and nothing but a few scratches. I’m ordering an RPM bumper tonight, and I’ll check all of my diffs.

I’m a budget basher. Run it till it can’t run.

Enjoy!
(I have Kraton too, a little over 2 years now. Super solid. Worst thing is the diffs… i kept stripping gears. Swapped to ESB spiral cut gears. No more problems)
For the sake of a few cents in shims and a couple bucks in silicone oil you can save a lot of money, but more importantly to me, run time by doing a bit of preventative maintenance. It's not budget bashing if you have to rebuild a diff that has eaten itself from poor mesh that could have got loads of life with shimming.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is something that serves to remember in this hobby

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back