Kraton New kraton 8s leaking rear diff out of the box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boost4life

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi everyone , so I just got my new kraton 8 for Christmas! Very excited to pull it out of the box and to my surprise its wet on the rear diff just right side :(
Is this possibly left overs from assembly ? I'm hoping I don't have an issue before even running it.

Any helpful imput? Thanks !

Pictures? If it was leaking out of the box i would call horizon hobby and let them know
Planning to call tomorrow and inquire
20191225_193658.jpg

Attachments

• 20191225_193628.jpg
    20191225_193628.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 46
This is a real bummer , I don't even want to tell my wife yet. I'm still waiting on batteries but looks like I'll be waiting longer now , and if i have to work on it myself off the bat I'll never hear the end of it.

Attachments

• 20191225_203721.jpg
    20191225_203721.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20191225_203638.jpg
    20191225_203638.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Man that sucks but Horizon will make things right. I had a leaking shock on my Kraton OTB, called them and they sent me a pair in a few days.

I’m sure horizon will cover it, but just out of curiosity. Did you get it locally? If so maybe try and return it for a different one. Then you can get straight to the FUN!!!

I’m sure horizon will cover it, but just out of curiosity. Did you get it locally? If so maybe try and return it for a different one. Then you can get straight to the FUN!!!
For sure, if it came from LHS, start there.

I bought a dbxl e 2.0 centre diff all leaked out horizon sent me a rebuild kit. They are great just call them. They are busy. Leave your number they will call you back.
That's great to hear , it's a bit upsetting I haven't even had batteries in it and I'm out of service then I got to work on it myself? I don't mind working on the truck but wanted to enjoy it a bit first.
No bought online no options locally

That fluid seems pretty thin to be diff fluid. Maybe it's shock fluid. In any event it's not hard to pull the diff out and open it up. Many people will open the diffs to check fluid levels whether they feel it's leaking or not.

That fluid seems pretty thin to be diff fluid. Maybe it's shock fluid. In any event it's not hard to pull the diff out and open it up. Many people will open the diffs to check fluid levels whether they feel it's leaking or not.
It's very thick and tacky definitely looks like silicone diff fluid.

I checked the shocks they're definitely dry it's centered around the right rear axle

It's very thick and tacky definitely looks like silicone diff fluid.

I checked the shocks they're definitely dry it's centered around the right rear axle
I’d still contact HH and let them know and send a pic. You never know, they may have had a few of those doing this. It’s nice for them to be able to track.

But it’s likely just a loose bolt and crimped/broken seal.

Mine was leaking too. I just tightened everything up a little. Seems fine. I guess I should have called, I had the whole truck down to the chassis within an hour or so of purchasing it. You will be servicing those diffs from time to time so it would be good if they send you a gasket set. Don’t let this minor issue get you down. Good luck with it!

Ok , I got in touch with horizon and they are sending out a new Diff ! Very nice and they sympathized given the situation. I sent them pics and they are sending out a new diff right away. Very happy it wasn't a stressful resolve. I'll update the thread once I get it. Does everyone recommend the factory diff viscosity? I suppose I should follow the guidelines so I don't void a warranty . Thanks for all the advice given so far

Ok , I got in touch with horizon and they are sending out a new Diff ! Very nice and they sympathized given the situation. I sent them pics and they are sending out a new diff right away. Very happy it wasn't a stressful resolve. I'll update the thread once I get it. Does everyone recommend the factory diff viscosity? I suppose I should follow the guidelines so I don't void a warranty . Thanks for all the advice given so far
You can absolutely change the diff fluid to meet your desires. No issues with warranty.

I got the new diff and I took apart the old diff and there wasn't much fluid left . All the screws were tight also.

I checked the new one and I added just a bit more.

Unfortunately the smart batteries and charger are still on back order. I maybe should have gone another direction with that . All my other stuff is traxxas as this is my first Arrma Rc.

Can't wait to get this beast out for a run !

Attachments

• 20200105_161817.jpg
    20200105_161817.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 72
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back