New Kraton owner vs friends with Erevos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an image of a Backflips turned inside out that I copied from this picture and full credit for it goes to @Camo. The Backlips don't balloon near as bad as the Badlands or the Trenchers in my experience and the ribbing and banding I am sure plays a huge part in it. I just wish that you could buy the tires separate as I personally hate the looks of Outcast rims.

View attachment 22253
Woah, never thought of doing that. I guess you could probably just remove the backflips and place them on different wheels. I agree, outcast rims don't looks the best.

my mino's have the same ribbing.
I have never had any stock Arrma tires off of the wheels, so I can't say which ones do and don't have both forms of ribbing/banding. I don't remember seeing either of the features on the Prolines before I glued them on though. Not saying that they aren't there, but I don't remember seeing anything. I'm not a fan of the dBoots Minokawa though as the tread isn't deep enough for my liking.

I have never had any stock Arrma tires off of the wheels, so I can't say which ones do and don't have both forms of ribbing/banding. I don't remember seeing either of the features on the Prolines before I glued them on though. Not saying that they aren't there, but I don't remember seeing anything. I'm not a fan of the dBoots Minokawa though as the tread isn't deep enough for my liking.

The Minokawas are terrible. I put them on an old nitro truck and they sucked even on that.

The backflips aren't as heavy either. The trenchers have a lot of rubber on the face of the tire, which causes more ballooning than a lighter tire. They are also narrower, so even less rubber to spin out. They have about the same OD though.

The trencher 3.8's weigh 13.4oz each. The backflips are 12.5oz. Both mounted of course.

2018-0726-ProlineTrencher3.8-ArrmaDBoots.jpg

I have my set of backflips that I never ran on my outcast. I started with 3.8" trenchers, but then I fought heat issues until I geared way down to 13/50 running 4S. I was fine at the skatepark with 16/50, but as soon as I started running in grass, I had to gear it down because it wouldn't last half way through a set of packs before shutting down on me. I'm now running a set of traxxas 3.8" t-maxx tires. Again, still 4S. They are lighter yet at 11.5oz per corner. Smaller OD though. I think I'm back up to 16/50 gearing, but so far I haven't had it shut down on me.

Long time kraton owner and i will tell you the v1 had its issues but durability wasn't one of them! Electronics on the other hand were junk. Arrmas warrenty definitely worked for me in that case. Unfortunately traxxas products have always been plastic and it just wont hold up longterm with the torque and stress we put these things thru!

I have a fully Upgraded V1 and a Erevo 2.0. Honestly, I haven't broke either of them in months. The driver mod really does impact durability. I'm a longtime heavy 1/8th scale basher. I'm comfortable with the weight and balance of a 1/8th platform. Keep things landing wheels down and it's very rare anything breaks.

I just recently built up a castle powered 1/10 granite 4x4, and I break it all the time. It's because the short wheelbase makes its flight characteristics so different from 1/8. A tap of the brake Nd it nose drives hard.

I guess my point is compared to what I started with (1992 gold pan) modern RCs are insanely durable. Just keep it wheels down.

I have a fully Upgraded V1 and a Erevo 2.0. Honestly, I haven't broke either of them in months. The driver mod really does impact durability. I'm a longtime heavy 1/8th scale basher. I'm comfortable with the weight and balance of a 1/8th platform. Keep things landing wheels down and it's very rare anything breaks.

I just recently built up a castle powered 1/10 granite 4x4, and I break it all the time. It's because the short wheelbase makes its flight characteristics so different from 1/8. A tap of the brake Nd it nose drives hard.

I guess my point is compared to what I started with (1992 gold pan) modern RCs are insanely durable. Just keep it wheels down.

What Castle combo are you running?

I didnt think the 40mm can would fit. That a gotta be pretty close to the chassis.

I didnt think the 40mm can would fit. That a gotta be pretty close to the chassis.
20180925_104622.jpg

It's tight. I have to remove the ESC in order to remove/install the motor or I risk damaging the sensor wire.

My friend has a E-Revo 2.0 and its broke every time he drove it. He had to send it back to Traxxas because the ESC stopped working on the 3rd run for no reason. His (plastic) center drive shaft broke after a couple runs. The rod ends break non-stop, the drive shafts are always popping out, and the body comes off a lot. He also shredded 2 of the stock tires. He is now having issues with the steering not working randomly, but I think its caused by a defect with TSM because I had the same issue with my Slash (the TSM knob in the wrong spot causes steering to stop). Its been sitting in his garage for at least a month now without use because he is too angry at the car to fix it... I keep trying to get him to fix it but it seems all of the issues have made him loose interest. I was considering making him an offer to buy it from him because I only have two 10th scale Traxxas cars, but in the end I decided I would be better off paying full price for a new Arrma Notorious, which is arriving this week :). In addition to the durability issues with the E-Revo 2.0, I also hate the battery and servo design. I strongly prefer using 1 battery over 2 identical batteries and using 2 weak servos instead of 1 strong one is just dumb (you could claim its for weight distribution, but the difference it makes is very insignificant).

I was a Traxxas fan but I'm quite fed up with their vehicles now. I'm hoping Arrma will work better for me.

I do understand the frustration when things don't work, and Traxxas has been around a long time and its unfortunate he is having those issues. Like I said, I have a revo 2.0 and I haven't had a problem yet.

Part of me hates Traxxas because they took the hobby I loved and turned it into expensive toys for spoiled kids. But they also pushed the envelope of what is possible in the RC world which in turn created companies like Arrma, which is better for all of us.

I cant imagine sending a RC vehicle back to a hobby shop or company to fix. Fixing it is part of the hobby. I miss the days where everything came in a kit and you had to have some inclination of mechanical ability to own a Hobby grade RC.

But, I'm just an old grumpy man, so what do I know.

Point is, if your buddy is too frustrated to fix his Revo, maybe he needs to pick a different hobby.

I do understand the frustration when things don't work, and Traxxas has been around a long time and its unfortunate he is having those issues. Like I said, I have a revo 2.0 and I haven't had a problem yet.

Part of me hates Traxxas because they took the hobby I loved and turned it into expensive toys for spoiled kids. But they also pushed the envelope of what is possible in the RC world which in turn created companies like Arrma, which is better for all of us.

I cant imagine sending a RC vehicle back to a hobby shop or company to fix. Fixing it is part of the hobby. I miss the days where everything came in a kit and you had to have some inclination of mechanical ability to own a Hobby grade RC.

But, I'm just an old grumpy man, so what do I know.

Point is, if your buddy is too frustrated to fix his Revo, maybe he needs to pick a different hobby.

You should see the pile of broken vehicles at my LHS. I can’t believe people pay to have them fixed. I was at a bmx track with my Kraton and a father and son showed up with a Slash. The kid had zero control and lawn darted it off a big jump. He busted the shock, but it was fixable without needing parts. The father says, “Ok, lets go to the hobby shop.” I told him I had tools in my truck and I could fix it, which I did. He tells me that they bring it there for everything. It blew my mind. And it’s not like the guy looked like an idiot. These trucks aren’t that hard to work on. Back when I started we didn’t have YouTube videos. I still have pictures and instructions printed out of how to service the diffs in my Savage, lol.

You should see the pile of broken vehicles at my LHS. I can’t believe people pay to have them fixed. I was at a bmx track with my Kraton and a father and son showed up with a Slash. The kid had zero control and lawn darted it off a big jump. He busted the shock, but it was fixable without needing parts. The father says, “Ok, lets go to the hobby shop.” I told him I had tools in my truck and I could fix it, which I did. He tells me that they bring it there for everything. It blew my mind. And it’s not like the guy looked like an idiot. These trucks aren’t that hard to work on. Back when I started we didn’t have YouTube videos. I still have pictures and instructions printed out of how to service the diffs in my Savage, lol.
On a positive side... people that are either that lazy or lack the knowledge to wrench on them are probably what's keeping the LHS alive. I used to have 6 LHS's in a 60 mile range. I now have 3 and what they have has dwindled greatly. The furthest away one carries the nitro I use. The closest one carries arrma parts. The other one now carries a lot of garbage brands... and traxxas. lol

I believe in a competitive market. LHS are going the way of the dodo bird because they refuse to adapt to the ecommerce era. There is no reason in 2018 to pay a 15% markup at a brick and mortar store.

And I don't know about you folks, but the last few times I had to go to a hobby shop it was exceedingly painful. The minimum wage worker had no freaking idea what he was doing.

I told him I needed a mod1 pinion and he kept asking "what's it for? If you give me the brand and model I can look it up".

Went round and round with this guy for 10 minutes, it was for a Team Magic E5, eventually I told him and he came back with "we don't carry that brand". To which I replied "I know, but pinion gears are universal, so I don't need one made by team magic"

Eventually I got him to show me where the pinion gears were and I walked him through finding what I needed.

30 minutes later and $27.99 poorer, I walked out with the 16T mod1 Robinson pinion I was after.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back