What should I Get?

• Super wicked Kraton 8s

• He who shall not be named (X-maxx)

• Hobo hyper MT

• Tamiya Wild Willys Jeep

• HPI Savage

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GUYS... Can we agree that both the X-maxx and the Kraton are both horrible and nobody should buy either of them and be done with it??? Maybe we should just all go out and get Tamiya gear?

If I could bring the topic back around before @WoodiE buries this and try and salvage some of the good information given so far for other people...

It's such a shame that there's no easy way for people to just take both for a quick and tame spin before purchase. This would especially be great for those of us who aren't brand loyalists. For example when I was shopping for a full sized truck a few years ago I stopped by the Chevrolet, the Ford and the Ram dealership to take each offering for a spin. Similarly, when I'm shopping for a new bicycle I take various bikes for a quick ride. In no case was I trying to drift a F150 around a dirt road bend at 60 MPH or launch a Trek off a loading dock - I just needed a taste. Too bad people can't drive a X-Maxx and then drive a Kraton 8S back-to-back for a reasonable spin in a hardpack dirt lot.

Sadly I wonder if I'll ultimately answer the question the same way I did with the ol' Kraton 6S vs. Traxxas Maxx debate - get both.

Yeah there is a level of impatience on my side too here. I could wait until next year and probably play with an 8s Kraton but that isn't quite an option right now.

Looking at all the youtube clips of the Kraton vs X-maxx and you can see the handling difference and "Agility" of the newer truck. Which is absolutely to be expected given the LCG truggy vs montster truck layouts.

There is NO debate.

STOP COMPARING THE X MAXX TO THE KRATON! seriously, it is a bad comparison. Do you compare a real life monster truck to a real life pre-runner or Baja 1000 ??? An Internet forum is here to share opinion absolutely and I respect everyone’s on here. That said, there has to be at least A LITTLE tact and insight used here.

Xmaxx buyers you won’t want the Kraton over the Xmaxx and vice versa. It’s the same way that a Revo buyer won’t care for a Truggy and vice versa. Do you compare Asian women with black women? Apples to oranges?

For me there is a debate as they are similarly priced trucks that perform a similar function and at a similar scale. I agree they are different but I really don't have a preference on the type. I love my 1/10 BRCC and also what arrma represents as a company and so far it has been awesome despite the issues I have. Never tried Traxxas more becasue I see them everywhere and like to be different... I am mostly interested in the scale as a 1/5 anything just seems like a good bit of fun no matter what I get.

If the price was the same (or comparable) in Australia and the parts availabilty was a thing (or at minimum avaialble) then it would almost be a no-brainer for the kraton as I acknowledge it is the newer, fancier better engineered truck...

LOL, Arrma Tough! Not sooooooooo tough for what I seen so far. I just watch couples of video from youtube. I call my local hobby shop today and said I want my deposit back and cancel my order.
That is a wise move if you don't like what you see online. I also think Youtube can also be a bit biased as people are more interested in the broken bits and everyone is so keen to jump on any issue. Myself included... Seeing a few bent chassis and parts does make me question if a $1K truck is the right choice for me...

I respect someone that is able to change their opinion if they get more informaiton about something they don't like... It just makes sense... That's kind of why I made this thread as I can't be the only one in this position...

While all the kids whine i'll try to answer the OP's question, somebody has to do it :cool:

In your case i would by a second hand X-Maxx and install all the usual upgrades.
The Kraton 8s is a V1 and from the past we learned V2's are always better.
Also parts availability is important if you break stuff. And you will (both X-Maxx and Kraton).

There you go kids, that wasn't so hard?

Second hand trucks are going for around the $800-$900 mark sometimes with a few batteries which may or may not be good... A new one is in the $1100-$1200 on a good sale day so is it almost worth the new price just to have some form of warranty... Also what are some common things to look out for on any RC car when 2nd hand...

What would the "Usual" upgrades be just so I can get a decent idea?

I agree with your point about V1 vs V2...

I don't know :rolleyes: Some of them will still say the PLASTIC X-Maxx will survive lawn dart, running into a tree, & slamming into rocks. What is this mythical beast, & where can I get one. They certainly can't be any of the 3 I have. It is called X-Maxx, right. Cuz the trucks I have will break running on level ground. I can bend the driveshaft on a wheelie & strip a front diff on the way down. Again, what is this mythical beast :LOL:

I have no delusions about the X-maxx being this mythical unbreakable beast that can survive the apocalypse. I get that it will break as will the Kraton. Neither of them are bullet proof but on the whole I think the plastic vs metal debate has good arguments on both sides...

GUYS... Can we agree that both the X-maxx and the Kraton are both horrible and nobody should buy either of them and be done with it??? Maybe we should just all go out and get Tamiya gear?

If I could bring the topic back around before @WoodiE buries this and try and salvage some of the good information given so far for other people...

Yeah there is a level of impatience on my side too here. I could wait until next year and probably play with an 8s Kraton but that isn't quite an option right now.

Looking at all the youtube clips of the Kraton vs X-maxx and you can see the handling difference and "Agility" of the newer truck. Which is absolutely to be expected given the LCG truggy vs montster truck layouts.

For me there is a debate as they are similarly priced trucks that perform a similar function and at a similar scale. I agree they are different but I really don't have a preference on the type. I love my 1/10 BRCC and also what arrma represents as a company and so far it has been awesome despite the issues I have. Never tried Traxxas more becasue I see them everywhere and like to be different... I am mostly interested in the scale as a 1/5 anything just seems like a good bit of fun no matter what I get.

If the price was the same (or comparable) in Australia and the parts availabilty was a thing (or at minimum avaialble) then it would almost be a no-brainer for the kraton as I acknowledge it is the newer, fancier better engineered truck...

That is a wise move if you don't like what you see online. I also think Youtube can also be a bit biased as people are more interested in the broken bits and everyone is so keen to jump on any issue. Myself included... Seeing a few bent chassis and parts does make me question if a $1K truck is the right choice for me...

I respect someone that is able to change their opinion if they get more informaiton about something they don't like... It just makes sense... That's kind of why I made this thread as I can't be the only one in this position...

Second hand trucks are going for around the $800-$900 mark sometimes with a few batteries which may or may not be good... A new one is in the $1100-$1200 on a good sale day so is it almost worth the new price just to have some form of warranty... Also what are some common things to look out for on any RC car when 2nd hand...

I agree with your point about V1 vs V2...

I have no delusions about the X-maxx being this mythical unbreakable beast that can survive the apocalypse. I get that it will break as will the Kraton. Neither of them are bullet proof but on the whole I think the plastic vs metal debate has good arguments on both sides...

I feel you should pick up an x maxx. I’m not being a smart ass. I really feel they are cheap to fix, love abuse, and can be beaten daily. Honest opinion. Get the Kraton later if you want to have a project truck that is more for driving over large areas of land VS skatepark

What I mean is ...

If you have access to a construction site or bmx track I’d heavily consider the Kraton.

If you like concrete or skate parks, live in a city, then the X maxx is way more useable. Do you really want to take your pretty new M2C chassis to the skatepark? I don’t

You have Traxxas on sale? I have never seen that, prices are the same all across Europe. I thought it was forbidden by Traxxas.
I believe somebody already mentioned the upgrades, but i don't want to read this thread again :sleep:
Max6, hinge pins, rpm rear carriers, servo/link/saver, body savers

I don't mean to interrupt everyone here, but WTF is going on? Is this common on the Arrma forums, or have I just been hanging out in the only sane subforums on the Arrma Forum? I'm not feeling so bad about all the hate on my last YT video... ?

STOP COMPARING THE X MAXX TO THE KRATON! seriously, it is a bad comparison. Do you compare a real life monster truck to a real life pre-runner or Baja 1000 ??? An Internet forum is here to share opinion absolutely and I respect everyone’s on here. That said, there has to be at least A LITTLE tact and insight used here.

Xmaxx buyers you won’t want the Kraton over the Xmaxx and vice versa. It’s the same way that a Revo buyer won’t care for a Truggy and vice versa. Do you compare Asian women with black women? Apples to oranges?

Colby this reply isn’t venom directed at you, however I have to clear this air. If Arrma made a PLASTIC / fiber reinforced chassis MT then I’d say YES! Abso-fuuuckingg-lutely compare the 2.

Understand that my attempts to compare the two is simply done for entertainment. From time-to-time I'll have friends ask such comparison questions or even other customers I encounter in my local Hobbytown. It's similar to when I used to own a Ram truck and my buddies and I would sit around over drinks and have laughter-filled debates as to why we chose Ram, Chevrolet, Ford or Toyota for our trucks. I was hoping to use this forum discussion as another way to help guide my arguments. I don't own nor have I had the chance to see a Kraton 8s in the flesh. However, I do own a Kraton 6s and a X-Maxx so I have some relevant experience with both. I'm not an X-Maxx buyer or a Kraton buyer - I'm both.

Who needs to compare Asian women with black women when we've been fortunate to have been blessed with Jhene Aiko?!

I don't mean to interrupt everyone here, but WTF is going on? Is this common on the Arrma forums, or have I just been hanging out in the only sane subforums on the Arrma Forum? I'm not feeling so bad about all the hate on my last YT video... ?
I made a terrible mistake is what this is... I’ve opened the Traxxas vs Arrma pandora’s box...

I think the question is much more simple: some users get salty because they have to justify/defend their purchase accusing everyone has a different opinion of being poor not to afford the awesomeness. That's beyond the traxxas/arrma debate.

I think the question is much more simple: some users get salty because they have to justify/defend their purchase accusing everyone has a different opinion of being poor not to afford the awesomeness. That's beyond the traxxas/arrma debate.
Why would anyone have to justify their purchase? If I buy something it's because I wanted it, no need for justification. Here's the real problem, people like you who attack someone's purchase because you wouldn't buy it yourself. If you have no intention of buying it then keep your opinion to yourself. And, if you can't afford it, how is that someone else's problem? Get a job, switch jobs, whatever. Don't just come here complaining about something you don't even own! Get a life!

Why would anyone have to justify their purchase? If I buy something it's because I wanted it, no need for justification. Here's the real problem, people like you who attack someone's purchase because you wouldn't buy it yourself. If you have no intention of buying it then keep your opinion to yourself. And, if you can't afford it, how is that someone else's problem? Get a job, switch jobs, whatever. Don't just come here complaining about something you don't even own! Get a life!
I was not referring to you, but I think you are right: I just cannot understand why someone needs justifications. That's nonsense. That said, can you kindly quote me the exact posts where you are telling me that i "attack someone's purchase"? Are you aware of the use of the forum to express an opinion? Or the regulamentation of this forum indicates that only praise posts are allowed and all the critics and different opinion must be censored or, to directly quote you "keep your opinion to yourself". Would you kindly tell me why should I keep them for myself, other than not to piss you and someone's else off?
Thanks and regards.

Ok so you apparently have no arguments and cry out your rants. I don't really see any attacks (being called asshole is an attack to me, but whatever). But that's fine to me, I like when someone is getting angry for an opinion, because it makes you smile. And you are getting cute in the process. That said, I find a little anachronistic trolls here, I mean, this kind of stuff is worthy of ps2 vs xbox 360 era, Cod vs Bf, and so on. Please don't get yourself too serious, or you end up getting from comic to pathetic in no time. But that's just a suggestion. At least fine a more modern way to get pissed in a forum, that would be less boring. Take it as a piece of advice my friend.
And I am sorry if I cannot convey all the things in the right way, english is not my native language, so there could be some loss in translation. Peace guys, and smile sometimes, it helps.

Well this was a good thread for a little while...

This is why we can’t have nice things...

HPI Savage for me I guess...

Also, Because this has descended into madness I have a poll that we can end this on...

Last edited:
That ignore button has me like “what hate?”

?✌?

This thread should have been closed day one. What a waste of server space? I think I’m going to take a break from this forum for a while. It’s worse than “MySpace”

Damn this went off the rails quickly.

Let's talk about something less controversial like how libtards are reptoids created by the CIA, how Trump is probably the 3rd, if not the 4nd greatest president and how the church of Scientology is the only true religion?

Back