New member introduction (Montreal, Canada)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTitanium

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Infraction 4x4
Hello Ladies, Gentlemen :)

Thought I'd introduce myself as I just found out about ArrmaForums not too long ago, even though I've owned a Nero for almost 2 years. Just purchased a new in box Big Rock 6s which I'll be keeping as a collection item/shelf queen).

A bit about myself.. 46 year old (since yesterday). Jet engine technician at Pratt & Whitney Canada (but machinist of 23 years, then I made the switch to MRO Engineering). Been into RC since 1997 when I first purchased a Tamiya TA02W. Being a newbie at the time, I quickly ditched the stock motor in the TA02W and told the guy at the LHS, "Give me the baddest motor you got", and just shrugged his shoulders and sold me a White Diamond. Little did I know that it's not all about motor as the drive train took severe beatings. Many lessons were learned, and many curse words were used, since then. Looking back, I can't help but notice how much RC technology has changed.

My collection of toys may not be as large of some here, but I have owned/sold/traded many a T-Maxx, Revo 3.3, Savage, Nitro Quake, Thunder Quake, Mini Quake, Nitro TC3s, and Summit (the new 1/10th Summit was a father/daughter project built from scratch as my then-11 year old took an interest in RC, so I taught her the basics of mechanics. I suggest every parent teach their child/ren the basics prior to getting into this hobby). What I'm left with is my NTC3s, Nero, Big Rock 6s (and Summit for sentimental reason, naturally, which remains a shelf queen which has it's own Swiffer duster.. no joke lol). I'm very... ummm... anal (can I say that here??) with my toys and do not abuse them.

I'm looking for a new toy (aren't we all?). I'm HUGE on doing research before committing to something (Microsoft Excel and I are very well acquainted). Being a fan of Arrma products, I'm stuck between the Granite Mega 4x4 and the Granite BLX. There is MUCH to read up on these two trucks.. many mods to be done (which I love doing!).

Anyways... that's it for me. Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the forum! I don't own any of the 3s models, so no sense chiming in on the debate. Looking forward to hearing your views and insights, based on your knowledge and experience. Totally agree with the idea of teaching the kids how to wrench, so they can appreciate the mechanics involved, as well as the expense of owning something more intricate than a low level, disposable toy. Harder than it sounds as I am in a dead heat for their attention with their other parent, Mr PS4 ?

Hello Ladies, Gentlemen :)

Thought I'd introduce myself as I just found out about ArrmaForums not too long ago, even though I've owned a Nero for almost 2 years. Just purchased a new in box Big Rock 6s which I'll be keeping as a collection item/shelf queen).

A bit about myself.. 46 year old (since yesterday). Jet engine technician at Pratt & Whitney Canada (but machinist of 23 years, then I made the switch to MRO Engineering). Been into RC since 1997 when I first purchased a Tamiya TA02W. Being a newbie at the time, I quickly ditched the stock motor in the TA02W and told the guy at the LHS, "Give me the baddest motor you got", and just shrugged his shoulders and sold me a White Diamond. Little did I know that it's not all about motor as the drive train took severe beatings. Many lessons were learned, and many curse words were used, since then. Looking back, I can't help but notice how much RC technology has changed.

My collection of toys may not be as large of some here, but I have owned/sold/traded many a T-Maxx, Revo 3.3, Savage, Nitro Quake, Thunder Quake, Mini Quake, Nitro TC3s, and Summit (the new 1/10th Summit was a father/daughter project built from scratch as my then-11 year old took an interest in RC, so I taught her the basics of mechanics. I suggest every parent teach their child/ren the basics prior to getting into this hobby). What I'm left with is my NTC3s, Nero, Big Rock 6s (and Summit for sentimental reason, naturally, which remains a shelf queen which has it's own Swiffer duster.. no joke lol). I'm very... ummm... anal (can I say that here??) with my toys and do not abuse them.

I'm looking for a new toy (aren't we all?). I'm HUGE on doing research before committing to something (Microsoft Excel and I are very well acquainted). Being a fan of Arrma products, I'm stuck between the Granite Mega 4x4 and the Granite BLX. There is MUCH to read up on these two trucks.. many mods to be done (which I love doing!).

Anyways... that's it for me. Thanks for reading.
Welcome it’s nice to see more and more Canadians here. If those are the only 2 you can’t choose from than I’d say the blx 100% the mega is older and needs upgrades. I’m looking at getting the 3s typhoon

Welcome to the forum! I don't own any of the 3s models, so no sense chiming in on the debate. Looking forward to hearing your views and insights, based on your knowledge and experience. Totally agree with the idea of teaching the kids how to wrench, so they can appreciate the mechanics involved, as well as the expense of owning something more intricate than a low level, disposable toy. Harder than it sounds as I am in a dead heat for their attention with their other parent, Mr PS4 ?

Thanks for the welcome, Johnny. Ya... as parents it isn’t easy to compete against our kids ipad/PS4/Xbox. I try to keep things interesting for my now-13 year old girl, keep her brain working. I remember all too well what it was like being a teenager and just wanting to be left alone with my toys and friends ?

Nice.... looks like we have some similarities. I 'm from Canada as well, in my 40's, and was pursuing a power engineering career for years, then made the switch to a Nuclear Operator not too long ago. The main thing is, I also have been into RC for years..... from building Helis, planes, drones and jets. However, since I found Arrma, my love for flight has changed. The way I feed my hunger of flight, is by sending these Arrma's to the clouds.

I honestly believe anyone wanting the most from Arrma should try the 1/8 lineup.... its absolutely sensational!
Welcome to the form!!!!!

Welcome it’s nice to see more and more Canadians here. If those are the only 2 you can’t choose from than I’d say the blx 100% the mega is older and needs upgrades. I’m looking at getting the 3s typhoon

Thanks for welcoming me Mike. Ya... so far the scale is tipping towards the BLX, but that could change as I’m not done with my research. Thanks for weighing in though ??

Nice.... looks like we have some similarities. I 'm from Canada as well, in my 40's, and was pursuing a power engineering career for years, then made the switch to a Nuclear Operator not too long ago. The main thing is, I also have been into RC for years..... from building Helis, planes, drones and jets. However, since I found Arrma, my love for flight has changed. The way I feed my hunger of flight, is by sending these Arrma's to the clouds.

I honestly believe anyone wanting the most from Arrma should try the 1/8 lineup.... its absolutely sensational!
Welcome to the form!!!!!

Thanks Mad Man Slice (MMS)! Ya... lots of people tell me, “You’re into RC and you work at PWC, but you don’t own any RC aircrafts?? What the hell??”.

I love dealing with with jet engines at work, but I draw the line there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welcome to the form!!!!!
I agree with the 1/8th line that’s why I have the outcast and kraton my next one is going to be the typhoon just don’t know if I should go 3s or 6s

Welcome!

If you had a lot of fun with the exploding driveline of your old Tamiya, then by all means, get the Mega... :)

But no, get the BLX. The Mega will overheat if you run Lipo instead of Nimh, and if you upgrade the power, the driveline starts to have issues. My Mega has a full BLX driveline in it now. Great truck, though, when the power gets all the way to the wheels.
:)

Welcome!

If you had a lot of fun with the exploding driveline of your old Tamiya, then by all means, get the Mega... :)

But no, get the BLX. The Mega will overheat if you run Lipo instead of Nimh, and if you upgrade the power, the driveline starts to have issues. My Mega has a full BLX driveline in it now. Great truck, though, when the power gets all the way to the wheels.
:)

I like to consider myself a pro at revising drive train components now, so it’s all good. Thanks for for weighing in on the BLX.. I appreciate your feedback ??

Welcome to the forum!

It lools like this has been covered, so I'll just reinforce the earlier comments. I have both the granite mega and blx. I think I have another $200(ish) into the mega, and it can't even come close to the performance of the blx. But, the mega was my first and was a great learning experience. Best lesson learned - move beer fridge into work room!

Welcome to the forum!

It lools like this has been covered, so I'll just reinforce the earlier comments. I have both the granite mega and blx. I think I have another $200(ish) into the mega, and it can't even come close to the performance of the blx. But, the mega was my first and was a great learning experience. Best lesson learned - move beer fridge into work room!

Thanks Jeremy. I’ve decided to get the BLX and getting ready to place my order. But first, I need to see what other parts I’ll need to mod it. This forum is very helpful, as long as one invests the time in using the search engine and ask questions.

Last edited:
Thanks Mad Man Slice (MMS)! Ya... lots of people tell me, “You’re into RC and you work at PWC, but you don’t own any RC aircrafts?? What the hell??”.

I love dealing with with jet engines at work, but I draw the line there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No sorry, this is not me. I don't work for PWC, and I have owned over 20+ aircrafts. Anyway...... welcome to the Arrma forum, you will love it here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back