Big Rock New member..need advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wheelsonly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
Hi all. About me...had a nitro truck back 15+ years ago. Had a blast. The hobby faded. Until Recently, I started enjoying my 6 yr old brushed traxxas stampede. It's honestly a fun durable truck. Been taking it to the skate park, construction sites and backyard bashing.
Been wanting to get something faster...a brushless rig without spending too much.
I'm a click away from buying a big rock. But now that I'm diving deep and reading about the plastic gears and setting and shimming the diff, tearing down the diff for maintenance... I'm overwhelmed and feel like I'll be buying a headache.

I don't dislike working on my trucks but I'd rather have a reliable truck that only needs fixing every now and then.
My 2wd truck is simple..I just beat on it and replace what needs replacing which isn't much!

Looking for some honest insite on the arrma 3s trucks...mainly aimed at the drive train.

Thanks!

Hi all. About me...had a nitro truck back 15+ years ago. Had a blast. The hobby faded. Until Recently, I started enjoying my 6 yr old brushed traxxas stampede. It's honestly a fun durable truck. Been taking it to the skate park, construction sites and backyard bashing.
Been wanting to get something faster...a brushless rig without spending too much.
I'm a click away from buying a big rock. But now that I'm diving deep and reading about the plastic gears and setting and shimming the diff, tearing down the diff for maintenance... I'm overwhelmed and feel like I'll be buying a headache.

I don't dislike working on my trucks but I'd rather have a reliable truck that only needs fixing every now and then.
My 2wd truck is simple..I just beat on it and replace what needs replacing which isn't much!

Looking for some honest insite on the arrma 3s trucks...mainly aimed at the drive train.

Thanks!
I run all 4 of my 3s rig without doing anything you mention and they all run just fine.

Well, I ordered the big rock today. $100 off....$342 cdn, can't beat that.
I think you'll enjoy the purchase! My 3s arrma's are my winter trucks since they take so much abuse, less parts to rust in the rain and mud, and less mucking around with batteries compared to the larger trucks. I usually abuse them harder than my other trucks. I've eventually upgraded things as they broke, and i'm happy with where they trucks are at now. But i have always been launching them pretty high into the stratosphere too.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!
I own a BRcc blx v3 3 s and I never had a issue with my diffs.yet! When I bought it new this past spring all's I did was remove the stock grease from the front and rear diffs .wasn't hard and I did notice that from manufacturer there really wasn't much there and kind of clumped up on the sides.what ever they use in the stock diffs is garbage..I was getting so much noise .I used Lucas red and tacky grease ..love that stuff..we have plenty of it back at the shop and almost everyone at the local hobby shop uses it to..and since I put that in my diffs are smooth and quiet.👍other than that the big rock has been great to me .no issues other than stock servo is garbage also.so just change that right off the batt.don't even wait for it to go out on you.a good quality one won't hurt your pocket.but if you keep that stock one in something might just happen and boom 💥💥💥💥 crash Bam .pow💥💥💥💥there goes your truck because stock servo failed you when you needed it .

I own a BRcc blx v3 3 s and I never had a issue with my diffs.yet! When I bought it new this past spring all's I did was remove the stock grease from the front and rear diffs .wasn't hard and I did notice that from manufacturer there really wasn't much there and kind of clumped up on the sides.what ever they use in the stock diffs is garbage..I was getting so much noise .I used Lucas red and tacky grease ..love that stuff..we have plenty of it back at the shop and almost everyone at the local hobby shop uses it to..and since I put that in my diffs are smooth and quiet.👍other than that the big rock has been great to me .no issues other than stock servo is garbage also.so just change that right off the batt.don't even wait for it to go out on you.a good quality one won't hurt your pocket.but if you keep that stock one in something might just happen and boom 💥💥💥💥 crash Bam .pow💥💥💥💥there goes your truck because stock servo failed you when you needed it .
Thanks for the input! Honestly just stressing about the diff! Soooo many videos of failures. Just painted a bad picture that it's going to be broken more than I get to enjoy it.
But ya...it's coming and I'm excited to let it rip. I've watched tons of content about things to do when I first get it...and how to rebuild the diff...and what upgrades to get if needed. It's nothing I can't tackle. But let's hope she runs good and is reliable.
Tons of people love these trucks...it's just the bad stories that stick out unfortunately!

Thanks for the input! Honestly just stressing about the diff! Soooo many videos of failures. Just painted a bad picture that it's going to be broken more than I get to enjoy it.
But ya...it's coming and I'm excited to let it rip. I've watched tons of content about things to do when I first get it...and how to rebuild the diff...and what upgrades to get if needed. It's nothing I can't tackle. But let's hope she runs good and is reliable.
Tons of people love these trucks...it's just the bad stories that stick out unfortunately!
Allways going to be a bad story on anything..you'll enjoy the big rock.very versatile.i speed run only with mine so the issues people typically have I don't.peoples expectations sometimes are to high.lets think about it..things break.on everything.and problems happen in all RC vehicles.those who bash should expect things to snap .warp .fly off ect.part of the hobby..same with speed runners .we also have our worries to..like smashing our rigs to pieces with no salvation..

Hi, regarding upgrading your diffs when the time comes, I did it too. Its not too complicated and generally doesn't take too much time. I found the whole idea of doing them in the first place daunting, but its not too bad, one thing I learned was to get the right viscosity weight. Have a look at my posts, i think its all in there.

Very good and fair question. To be mentally prepared, I put this video together for people on your exact situation.
If you’re rough with it, your input gear is likely to strip. It’d not expensive to replace but it does mean ordering and waiting for parts. It means taking the thing apart and wrenching. The modular system that arrma has designed is top notch and makes this as easy as it can get.

Some recommend replacing the yoke with the hot racing one and keeping all the plastic crown and input gear. Yoke is machined well they say and keeps a Bette mesh of the crown and input gear to prevent stripping. $38ish and that’s the cheap option. All new hot racing diff assemblies front and rear will be about $200. I wouldn’t recommend that.

The spur and pinion mesh have to be set perfectly. Many people make the mistake of thinking metal spur is the answer but it only masks problems as they arise. It has higher tolerance for error so when the mesh is off, you have no clue. So metal spur means you are a pro with mesh or you’re wairinf to strip a metal spur which is entirely possible.

The plastics on the car are of good quality. So plastic isn’t really the issue.

For less headache, I recommend a 2S brushless setup but that’s something else entirely and I don’t think you’re asking about going down that road.

Last edited:
Very good and fair question. To be mentally prepared, I put this video together for people on your exact situation.
If you’re rough with it, your input gear is likely to strip. It’d not expensive to replace but it does mean ordering and waiting for parts. It means taking the thing apart and wrenching. The modular system that arrma has designed is top notch and makes this as easy as it can get.

Some recommend replacing the yoke with the hot racing one and keeping all the plastic crown and input gear. Yoke is machined well they say and keeps a Bette mesh of the crown and input gear to prevent stripping. $38ish and that’s the cheap option. All new hot racing diff assemblies front and rear will be about $200. I wouldn’t recommend that.

The spur and pinion mesh have to be set perfectly. Many people make the mistake of thinking metal spur is the answer but it only masks problems as they arise. It has higher tolerance for error so when the mesh is off, you have no clue. So metal spur means you are a pro with mesh or you’re wairinf to strip a metal spur which is entirely possible.

The plastics on the car are of good quality. So plastic isn’t really the issue.

For less headache, I recommend a 2S brushless setup but that’s something else entirely and I don’t think you’re asking about going down that road.
Thanks man. I watched your video..a couple times, while I wait for my truck. It should be arriving today. I feel like I know this rig quite well already before even owning it. I have a list of things to do before running it.
I'm much more confident getting it now than I was before...thankful for the helpful and informative community.
I'll likely get the metal yokes once I strip gears. Hopefully it holds up for a bit so I can get some decent time in before snow flies!
I bash carelessly at times with my current stampede...but its 2wd and brushed. Much less power going through it so it holds up really well. I'll respect the BR while still having a blast.

Thanks!

You'll love it.i love mine and like I mentioned I have had no problems with my diffs.im a speed runner only and I believe when people have problems is from bashing.hard impacts from high jumps cause issues at times if slipper clutch pads fail and lead to spur gear stripping and if left un fixed will lead to other issues.gravel or dirt also cause problems leading to bearing failure.bashing is fun but it comes with consequences.common sense.most people in the hobby know this and don't mind fixing what breaks.tearing down and replacing is part of this hobby which is good because you learn to know your rig .can't expect to just bash and not have something happen eventually.as for durability arrma is great.i honestly choose arrma over many brands . modular design is easy even for the novice.so bash on speed on and burn some rubber enjoy .crack a cold one 🍻 cheers

You'll love it.i love mine and like I mentioned I have had no problems with my diffs.im a speed runner only and I believe when people have problems is from bashing.hard impacts from high jumps cause issues at times if slipper clutch pads fail and lead to spur gear stripping and if left un fixed will lead to other issues.gravel or dirt also cause problems leading to bearing failure.bashing is fun but it comes with consequences.common sense.most people in the hobby know this and don't mind fixing what breaks.tearing down and replacing is part of this hobby which is good because you learn to know your rig .can't expect to just bash and not have something happen eventually.as for durability arrma is great.i honestly choose arrma over many brands . modular design is easy even for the novice.so bash on speed on and burn some rubber enjoy .crack a cold one 🍻 cheers
Thanks. I will for sure. Like you said in your earlier post...theres going to be bad about anything you buy, I got hung up on the negatives. It looks like a very fun capable truck. I'd love to own 2 so I can have one set up for strictly street bashing. They look so sweet with street tires and lowered! I'll stick with 1 for now though lol

Here is my boy

IMG_20220918_203824593.jpg

IMG_20221003_212700553.jpg

IMG_20221003_212557444.jpg

Check my media .more on there
Mine is dropped.i only do speed runs

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_221158211.jpg
    IMG_20220831_221158211.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220831_221247244.jpg
    IMG_20220831_221247244.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220904_180216459.jpg
    IMG_20220904_180216459.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 30
Thanks man. I watched your video..a couple times, while I wait for my truck. It should be arriving today. I feel like I know this rig quite well already before even owning it. I have a list of things to do before running it.
I'm much more confident getting it now than I was before...thankful for the helpful and informative community.
I'll likely get the metal yokes once I strip gears. Hopefully it holds up for a bit so I can get some decent time in before snow flies!
I bash carelessly at times with my current stampede...but its 2wd and brushed. Much less power going through it so it holds up really well. I'll respect the BR while still having a blast.
Cool, glad it helped. I try to make videos that I wish I had available to me. Working on a part 2.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back