Big Rock New member..need advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup you don't want it to bark .also to the comment above .I see nothing wrong with using adapters between esc and lipo .I've been using them for ever and never had a problem.as long as the cables are the same rating.

I actually use adapters in all my RC s from my boats to my drones to my cars and trucks never had a issue.i beleive that statement above is misleading people to think you can't when I and a lot of my friends at my local hobby shop do the same .I have tons of lipos and I'm sure not going to change all of them .I like being able to change when I want.my lipos are all perfect .charging fine and all speed controls are fine ..so go ahead and use adapters 👍😁
Never, never, never use adapters between the ESC and battery. You might have been lucky all this time snd not have had a problem YET, but keep doing it and sooner or later you are gonna melt the connectors. Trust me when I say this, @SrC knows what he is talking about. YOUR statements are misleading and if your LHS is telling you that it is ok, then I would find a different LHS. It is never recommended to use adapters between the battery and ESC. Some people get lucky using adapters but ask someone who has had their electronics ruined because of using an adapter. Keep it up and sooner or later you'll find out.

I own a V2 Big Rock and V3 Senton brushless along with 3 Mega Brushed trucks. The only issue I have ever had is the servo on the V2 Big Rock failed after a short time. The V3 has an upgraded servo as in my V3 senton and there has been no issues. The trucks are extremely durable and have been put through the ringer. The only thing I added to both the brushless models was a motor support available on ebay. If you like to jump the trucks as I do it supports the weight of the motor and alleviates stress on the motor mount plate. There is a clocked and standard version that fit perfectly and worth the $10 investment IMO.
Get rid of that stock servo.disaster waiting to happen..first thing I had to do when I bought my v3 BR.. failed 2 weeks in and I don't even bash . just speed runs .and your bashing that's even more wear and more demanding on that weak servo .just save your self a headache buy a different one .👍😁
Never, never, never use adapters between the ESC and battery. You might have been lucky all this time snd not have had a problem YET, but keep doing it and sooner or later you are gonna melt the connectors. Trust me when I say this, @SrC knows what he is talking about. YOUR statements are misleading and if your LHS is telling you that it is ok, then I would find a different LHS. It is never recommended to use adapters between the battery and ESC. Some people get lucky using adapters but ask someone who has had their electronics ruined because of using an adapter. Keep it up and sooner or later you'll find out.
Well one will allways say the opposite of what one says because of a tragic incident.i have no issues.either on my 6 s or 3 s lipos and systems..and not has anyone at my shop..I think maybey someone used 2 different size cables on either female or male ends.people use anti spark adapters all the time and I till now never heard of melt downs.for your cables to start melting that's some serious poop going on..maybey someone using a higher mah lipo not recommended for that esc..I have seen people try to stick a 6s lipo on a 60amp esc and sure as fk it goes in 🔥.I use EC5 adapters and I'm fine .if I do ever melt one well then shame on me for not taking your advice .but in many many years in this hobby it's never happened yet.i wouldn't say that's luck.luck is when 99 percent of the time it works and that one percent doesn't ..but just in case your right.ill say this then...boys and girls plz plz plz don't do what king blitz does ...never use adapters between esc and lipo or your poop will go in 🔥😁👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.I'll continue to be a savage and ride that thin line of bravery.

Last edited:
Get rid of that stock servo.disaster waiting to happen..first thing I had to do when I bought my v3 BR.. failed 2 weeks in and I don't even bash . just speed runs .and your bashing that's even more wear and more demanding on that weak servo .just save your self a headache buy a different one .👍😁

Well one will allways say the opposite of what one says because of a tragic incident.i have no issues.either on my 6 s or 3 s lipos and systems..and not has anyone at my shop..I think maybey someone used 2 different size cables on either female or male ends.people use anti spark adapters all the time and I till now never heard of melt downs.for your cables to start melting that's some serious poop going on..maybey someone using a higher mah lipo not recommended for that esc..I have seen people try to stick a 6s lipo on a 60amp esc and sure as fk it goes in 🔥.I use EC5 adapters and I'm fine .if I do ever melt one well then shame on me for not taking your advice .but in many many years in this hobby it's never happened yet.i wouldn't say that's luck.luck is when 99 percent of the time it works and that one percent doesn't ..but just in case your right.ill say this then...boys and girls plz plz plz don't do what king blitz does ...never use adapters between esc and lipo or your poop will go in 🔥😁👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.I'll continue to be a savage and ride that thin line of bravery.
I actually did some research on this matter of using adapters/connectors between lipo and esc..so seems like the info I got was that yes it's ok but..there is a Big but. you would need to make sure the cable rating is the same and that it allows the correct current.also be aware of some cheap ones on eBay or Amazon.also that the connector was solder correctly and you plug red(positive) to red and black(negative) to black.for 2s and 3s systems adapters are fine if those simple precautions are taken..I've been using adapters /connectors on my v3 3 s blx BR .the esc 100amp has original EC5 connector and my lipo 3s has a female deans T plug the adapter/ connector I use for my big rock is a EC5 female to male dean's T plug cable cable ratings are the same as stock esc.i have been using this set up with no issues.ive even dropped a 4 s lipo with the same adapter and no issue but I didn't use it for long because ik the esc isn't made to hold a 4 s lipo .just wanted to see the difference between 3 s and 4 s .did a quick speed run and pulled 3 xtra mph 👍😁but that was the last time I used the 4 s in the big rock..anyways what I'm trying to say here is take the precautions and don't over step .you'll be fine ..I don't like to solder in a permanent connector to my lipos because then I'm stuck with that lipo only being used for that one particular esc ./car/ truck / boat.anyways maybey someday I might think differently.not saying anyone on here is wrong for saying don't use adapters/ connectors between esc and lipo.im just saying most of times when they melt is because they used the wrong cable ratings and maybey solder in by mistake the negative on the positive side and when they plugged it to the lipo since polarity was backwards then explosion or melt down occurred.yes things can happen just becarefull.everytime I do speed runs I check my temps on everything and check all lipo cables and esc Cables to make sure everything is normal.by normal I mean the way my system has allways been running.i reamember my temps on everything and log it all down for future reference.keeping logs is useful.i do it the old school way.notebook and pen lol nothing fancy.this hobby requires that you be ready for issues or emergencies to happen especially with high power lipo's.i bring my mini fire extinguisher with me everytime.i keep it on my waste on a belt clip.its about 6" bottle enough to put out a fire when needed..be smart buy one .when I first started using lipo's years ago I actually wore safety glasses 🤓 cause I was scared they explode on me when connecting them to esc .lol hey better be safe than sorry.good luck to all and be safe.bash on👍🤟😁

I basically never use them, but adapters inherently are not actually "bad".

If you think about it, all of the in-series Y-connectors that come on Arrma 4S/6S/8S cars is exactly the same as using a set of of adapters. You're going through just as many connectors as using an adapter on a single battery car. So obviously there is nothing inherently wrong with 2 sets of connectors. The problem is that most everyone using them is doing it wrong.

Anybody that can solder halfway decently is NOT going to use an adapter, and everyone that can't ends up buying some crappy $2 adapter from Amazon made for like 20 cents by some kid in a sweatshop. Which is almost always total garbage. So you end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy where people who use them have a high failure rate.

I actually did some research on this matter of using adapters/connectors between lipo and esc..so seems like the info I got was that yes it's ok but..there is a Big but. you would need to make sure the cable rating is the same and that it allows the correct current.also be aware of some cheap ones on eBay or Amazon.also that the connector was solder correctly and you plug red(positive) to red and black(negative) to black.for 2s and 3s systems adapters are fine if those simple precautions are taken..I've been using adapters /connectors on my v3 3 s blx BR .the esc 100amp has original EC5 connector and my lipo 3s has a female deans T plug the adapter/ connector I use for my big rock is a EC5 female to male dean's T plug cable cable ratings are the same as stock esc.i have been using this set up with no issues.ive even dropped a 4 s lipo with the same adapter and no issue but I didn't use it for long because ik the esc isn't made to hold a 4 s lipo .just wanted to see the difference between 3 s and 4 s .did a quick speed run and pulled 3 xtra mph 👍😁but that was the last time I used the 4 s in the big rock..anyways what I'm trying to say here is take the precautions and don't over step .you'll be fine ..I don't like to solder in a permanent connector to my lipos because then I'm stuck with that lipo only being used for that one particular esc ./car/ truck / boat.anyways maybey someday I might think differently.not saying anyone on here is wrong for saying don't use adapters/ connectors between esc and lipo.im just saying most of times when they melt is because they used the wrong cable ratings and maybey solder in by mistake the negative on the positive side and when they plugged it to the lipo since polarity was backwards then explosion or melt down occurred.yes things can happen just becarefull.everytime I do speed runs I check my temps on everything and check all lipo cables and esc Cables to make sure everything is normal.by normal I mean the way my system has allways been running.i reamember my temps on everything and log it all down for future reference.keeping logs is useful.i do it the old school way.notebook and pen lol nothing fancy.this hobby requires that you be ready for issues or emergencies to happen especially with high power lipo's.i bring my mini fire extinguisher with me everytime.i keep it on my waste on a belt clip.its about 6" bottle enough to put out a fire when needed..be smart buy one .when I first started using lipo's years ago I actually wore safety glasses 🤓 cause I was scared they explode on me when connecting them to esc .lol hey better be safe than sorry.good luck to all and be safe.bash on👍🤟😁
No offense, but, this is where I know you are full of it. The stock BLX 100 won't run on a 4s battery. The stock ESC has over voltage protection and will simply shut down when a 4s battery is plugged in to it. Not possible. Unless your ESC is defective, and I'd like to see a video of you running a 4s battery thru the stock BLX 100.

No offense, but, this is where I know you are full of it. The stock BLX 100 won't run on a 4s battery. The stock ESC has over voltage protection and will simply shut down when a 4s battery is plugged in to it. Not possible. Unless your ESC is defective, and I'd like to see a video of you running a 4s battery thru the stock BLX 100.
You must have read the part where I said I only did a quick run and pulled it out right???if not scroll back up and read again .my esc didn't like it .and won't use a 4s again .

Hi all. About me...had a nitro truck back 15+ years ago. Had a blast. The hobby faded. Until Recently, I started enjoying my 6 yr old brushed traxxas stampede. It's honestly a fun durable truck. Been taking it to the skate park, construction sites and backyard bashing.
Been wanting to get something faster...a brushless rig without spending too much.
I'm a click away from buying a big rock. But now that I'm diving deep and reading about the plastic gears and setting and shimming the diff, tearing down the diff for maintenance... I'm overwhelmed and feel like I'll be buying a headache.

I don't dislike working on my trucks but I'd rather have a reliable truck that only needs fixing every now and then.
My 2wd truck is simple..I just beat on it and replace what needs replacing which isn't much!

Looking for some honest insite on the arrma 3s trucks...mainly aimed at the drive train.

Thanks!
Hello:
I am new to this hobby and my feeling reflect
Yours, I don’t mind working on the trucks and I am very capable. I would rather spend what free time I have running and bashing the truck. I choose to buy and start with a Bug Rock v3 s3 as a cheap but durable truck, no upgrades just bash out of the box. As parts break I’ll replace them with there upgraded counterparts. So far I took the Big rock to the Skate Park and went big and had no damage. Yesterday I found a huge bash park, I launched this truck off of huge Dirt bike ramps and bashed hard, the only damage I suffered was a crack in the front plastic shell or body.
I would recommend the BiG Rock with the $70 insta coupon going right now you can get the Big Rock for $269.
#Best Bash for the Buck

You must have read the part where I said I only did a quick run and pulled it out right???if not scroll back up and read again .my esc didn't like it .and won't use a 4s again .
Oh, I read that part and understood it correctly and I'm saying that you couldn't have even done a short run on 4s with the stock BLX 100. Maybe you didn't read the part where I said the stock BLX 100 has over voltage protection and if you plug in a 4s battery it will simply shut down, right??? If not, go back and read again. If you ran a 4s battery even for a short run, I'd like to see a video.

Here's your chance to prove me wrong.

Yup you don't want it to bark .also to the comment above .I see nothing wrong with using adapters between esc and lipo .I've been using them for ever and never had a problem.as long as the cables are the same rating.

I actually use adapters in all my RC s from my boats to my drones to my cars and trucks never had a issue.i beleive that statement above is misleading people to think you can't when I and a lot of my friends at my local hobby shop do the same .I have tons of lipos and I'm sure not going to change all of them .I like being able to change when I want.my lipos are all perfect .charging fine and all speed controls are fine ..so go ahead and use adapters 👍😁
You are not alone regarding adapters at the ESC/Lipo. I see many do this. At low voltages/amps, the risk may not be as high. (2s,3s)
However, my statement above , is far from misleading.:rolleyes:
It's not about that you can't do this.
It is about doing things correctly from an electrical fundamental standpoint. I won't get into the technical reasons here. Another topic altogether.
And an adapter also adds a layer of liabilty for disconnects.
Adapters have flooded the market with contemporary RC'ing. So it has become an inexpensive crutch to use them. Best/proper use is for charging.
I cannot see any LHS recommending otherwise. But LHS's have opinions also. I bet most will agree with me, if we did a poll.:giggle:
I too have aprox 19 lipos of all cell types across 17 rigs in all.
I take the time to solder XT90's and 60's.
I buy whatever lipo I`like spec wise, ignoring the connector it may come with, and expect to solder on my own connector without issue.
I have used Adapters in the past, due to being lazy to solder and had several dangerous issues result.
I don't have a drone. However several friends do have them. Many are custom built race drones. They would never use an adapter on them whatsoever,
Doing RC for 35+ years.
And we all RC differently.:cool:

Last edited:
You are not alone regarding adapters at the ESC/Lipo. I see many do this. At low voltages/amps, the risk may not be as high. (2s,3s)
However, my statement above , is far from misleading.:rolleyes:
It's not about that you can't do this.
It is about doing things correctly from an electrical fundamental standpoint. I won't get into the technical reasons here. Another topic altogether.
And an adapter also adds a layer of liabilty for disconnects.
Adapters have flooded the market with contemporary RC'ing. So it has become an inexpensive crutch to use them. Best/proper use is for charging.
I cannot see any LHS recommending otherwise. But LHS's have opinions also. I bet most will agree with me, if we did a poll.:giggle:
I too have aprox 19 lipos of all cell types across 17 rigs in all.
I take the time to solder XT90's and 60's.
I buy whatever lipo I`like spec wise, ignoring the connector it may come with, and expect to solder on my own connector without issue.
I have used Adapters in the past, due to being lazy to solder and had several dangerous issues result.
I don't have a drone. However several friends do have them. Many are custom built race drones. They would never use an adapter on them whatsoever,
Doing RC for 35+ years.
And we all RC differently.:cool:
I agree with all you say.maybey I shouldn't have said your comment is misleading.im sure there is another better word to use .but like you said and I've said that it's how big of a lipo people use on them..for 2s and 3s lipo they are perfectly fine but the soldering of that connector must be done correctly and not reversed.and where that connector came from.someone earlier mentioned that some sweat shops make them cheap and quality control is not at it's best.i buy all my connectors here in my lhs and they make them in front of me .so ik there are no mistakes.anyways this topic is getting old and I'm sure there is plenty of info on this situation that if needed people can't read and use there own judgement.ill get off this topic since there is no more to share.i apologize if my comment of saying your misleading has offended you.but I never say to people never never do something when they can unless something happens every single time .but since it has never happened to me or any one ik then I won't tell people not to use adapters/connectors between lipos..it can be done with caution .good luck to all God bless bash on .. arrma rocks..👍🤟😁

Apologies not necessary. I welcome all comments to my posts.:giggle: One can always pose the argument.

If a LHS will solder an adapter together for you, which I normally do myself for charging purposes, why don't they just solder matching connectors in the first place.:unsure:
I understand that once you build up a collection of lipos with many different connectors it can be a bear to have them use all the same.
But it's best to start somewhere. Have you considered doing your own soldering?
It's not for everyone. Soldering can be a hobby unto itself. I know. At least you have a LHS that does soldering well enough.
I just feel that the consensus is that an ESC-Lipo should not use adapters.
I feel it is just tempting fate there, having had proper connectors myself failed before. ESC fires etc. Dead shorts at the lipo. To me, Adapters just add insult to injury. Increasing the odds against you.:rolleyes:
If the adapters/connectors get warm or hot, this a is a sign to stop. Connectors are consumables anyway, and do wear out at some point.
So too many links in the chain (an adapter) is a bad recipe for disaster. The more connects you have the more resistance across the circuit. And even 3s setups/ESC's can draw some high amps.
Just me.
:cool:

Last edited:
Hello:
I am new to this hobby and my feeling reflect
Yours, I don’t mind working on the trucks and I am very capable. I would rather spend what free time I have running and bashing the truck. I choose to buy and start with a Bug Rock v3 s3 as a cheap but durable truck, no upgrades just bash out of the box. As parts break I’ll replace them with there upgraded counterparts. So far I took the Big rock to the Skate Park and went big and had no damage. Yesterday I found a huge bash park, I launched this truck off of huge Dirt bike ramps and bashed hard, the only damage I suffered was a crack in the front plastic shell or body.
I would recommend the BiG Rock with the $70 insta coupon going right now you can get the Big Rock for $269.
#Best Bash for the Buck
Awesome! I did get it on sale, great price!..I've run it a few times now. I just got in from ramping in my backyard...it sure lands like a sack of potatoes! Fun and I love it don't get me wrong, but that chassis must be smacking the ground hard! As long as it can withstand the abuse than it doesn't really matter I suppose! I am used to my stampede 2wd...very high ground clearance and it's light, so it would never bottom out. But that's apples to oranges...its a toy compared to the BR.
I'll have to research some shocks later. I'm just gonna play and replace what breaks!
Glad yours is holding up to the skate park! I'll be hitting my park this weekend hopefully!

My uncle owns the lhs and I get any solder for free.i do have many lipos with different plugs and different plugs on all my esc.so that's why I use adapters.i do plan on making my BRcc into a 6s system eventually and I will buy 2 new 3s lipos for it with Ec5 plugs solder on them permanently.just for theBRcc .I won't take chances on 6s .but for now 3s is fine for me untill I max it's potential for speed.im not there yet just barely hit over 51mph and ik I can get a few more mph on it with a few more mods.ill move on when time is right.i have a project coming up soon as my parts ship in and winter is around the corner so I'll be playing around with the build.winter stinks.can do speed runs on ice lol.
My uncle owns the lhs and I get any solder for free.i do have many lipos with different plugs and different plugs on all my esc.so that's why I use adapters.i do plan on making my BRcc into a 6s system eventually and I will buy 2 new 3s lipos for it with Ec5 plugs solder on them permanently.just for theBRcc .I won't take chances on 6s .but for now 3s is fine for me untill I max it's potential for speed.im not there yet just barely hit over 51mph and ik I can get a few more mph on it with a few more mods.ill move on when time is right.i have a project coming up soon as my parts ship in and winter is around the corner so I'll be playing around with the build.winter stinks.can do speed runs on ice lol.
Actually thinking about it now I think a 6s lipo needs a bigger plug than a EC5 I'm not familiar with them yet.i might be wrong .I haven't checked.if you know what's best then plz by all means post it up for me .I want to get a 185 esc .not sure motor yet.maybey that's also something you can help me out with..speed runs only..it's all I do.no bashing here.not into recking my rigs with dirt / water/ and jumping 100 ft lol.i just love screaming down the track or on my street.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back