Limitless New member, New Limitless build and questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromley

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, new member here, although not new to RC, I am fairly new to Arrma and particularly the 6s vehicles.
I've had a BLX Granite V3 for a while and fancied a new challenge.
I've got myself a new Limitless, Max6 Combo, 50 series motor mount.
Although the motor fits nicely with the optional motor mount, i just cant get the stock pinion(27t) and spool(34t) to mesh. Its a good 6mm gap between the two.
Ive tried the stock motor mount, thats even worse, hits the chassis and puts the motor further away.
I'm now waiting on a 39t spool gear to come and I'll see what options that gives me.
I've been looking at this thing for weeks now, waiting for parts to arrive, I can't wait to get out with it.
Anybody else have this issue? Maybe find an effective solution?
Here is a pic of the 50 series mount, stock gears and 4985 Max6 motor.

20210313_150208.jpg

Welcome. You don’t need the 50 series motor mount for the HobbyWing 4985. However you may need to move some plastic pieces out of the way temporarily to install it.

The stock motor mount should just clear and not hit the chassis. I have a fan mounted on mine and am still able to clear the chassis.

So not sure what your doing wrong but stock mount will allow as low as 26t with 34t spool, I know as I have ran it in my Typhon GT. With going down to a 29t spool you will need at least a 31t pinion with the stock mount as 30/29 won't mesh close enough. Again I know from experience as I couldn't run 30/29 had to go to 32/29 again with stock mount.

How about some more pictures. The motor has to be hitting something to keep the gears from engaging with each other.You only gave us one angle to look at which doesn't really show much other than the gears not engaging. You want help ya got to help us too. I know the gears go together fine on my limitless with the CASTLE 1520

You can see in the picture I posted, the mount is bottomed out in the bracket.
The motor isn't catching on anything.
The 50 series mount means the motor sits higher, so not fouling on the chassis, and further from the centre line of the vehicle, so it doesn't hit the prop drive cup. The max6 motor, will fit on the standard mount, but it then does foul the chassis before the gears mesh.
The smaller 34t stock spool gear diameter is I feel the main issue.
The combination of a larger spool gear and bigger than stock pinion should help.

The Castle motor you refer to is a 42mm can. The Max6 is a larger diameter, 49mm can.

What are your plans for this Limitless?
If you want to run through a full pack rather than doing 1-2 speed passes then you will want a 46T spur gear anyway to keep the motor temps down.

Well maybe its the angle of the picture but I just looked at my stock Limit and my Spool gear looks larger than yours?
The pinion looks right but again maybe its the angle that is tossing me.

Got it installed now. Well actually 2 weeks ago. To get the gears to mesh with the larger motor and 50 series mount I've used a 39t spool and 31t pinion. The final drive ratio is now virtually the same as the stock 34/27 setup.
This is my 1st time round with a 6s car. It's geared for about 105mph. Plenty for the time being. Motor temps are sensible with periodic cool downs. Not found anywhere yet to let it have full beans.
But it certainly goes like a stabbed rat compared to the cars I've run previously.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back