Mojave New Mojave EXB owner and some newbie questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeromonte

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - just got a Mojave EXB and have some questions. Sorry, I'm new to large scale RC - so please go easy ;)

1) Since I have to add electronics I was looking at putting in the Hobbywing Max 6 with Hobbywing 4985/1650KV.

a) How does this compare to the stock BLX ESC and stock motor on the non EXB Mojave?

b) Will I get more torque/speed with this setup?

c) Is there a better option than the Hobbywing motor to pair with the Max 6?

d) Do I need to use a heat sync/fan on the motor?

2) Will the Max 6 fit on the ESC mount supplied with the EXB or do I need to get something like the M2C ESC plate?

3) Is there info somewhere on how to determine what tooth pinion to use? My EXB came with a 16 tooth pinion with a yellow warning card stating to run "high speed gearing" on hard flat surfaces only and to not run off road. Ummm, what?? It's all a bit confusing to me..

4) How about servos? I know there are a ton out there. I was looking at Reefs - but not sure if I need/want to spend $100 on a high end one.. Any decent for about half the cost?

Thanks for any info you can help out with! Looking forward to bashing this beast!

Hey hey, welcome and cool choice for first rig. I just picked up a M-EXB myself and I am in love with the beast! Still waiting on a couple things to be 100% but it’ll be ready to rip in no time.

I’ll try and do my best to answer your questions..

1. Hobbywing max6 combo ??
A: it’s quite a bit bigger motor can and it will have quite a bit more power than the stock blx system. Explosive torque in comparison..
B: Short answer is yes, lots more torque and speed can be geared for.
C: I think the 4985 1650kv is perfect for this application and will be well suited??
D: yes I would as it’s always best to stay cool. It will allow you to have more gearing options without having to worry about heat. I think a lot of folks are using the Xmaxx heatsink on this motor.

2:esc mounting - yes you will need a plate to properly mount the esc. A lot of people use the stock esc plate cut the ridge down and then sticky tape and zip tie the esc. I’ve used this method but prefer a hard mounted solution. I like the Basherqueen mount as it’s a lightweight and I really like carbon fiber .. ? but like you mentioned there is also the m2c mount.

3: pinion choice really matters on driving style location and surface your running on. A good start would be 20t and go up from there if your temps are solid. Which they should be, especially if your running a heat sink and fan. I will be running a 22T and keeping close eye on temps. The stock motors on the RTR are 2050 kv and that’s why they come with that yellow card with warning. The max 6 combo is a 1650kv and requires bigger gearing to get the same speed.

4: servo choice - cheaper servos are just that.. they have a tendency to go out for no reason... I’ve been happy with my power hobby 729mbl. I’ve also been happy with my JX but know quite a few people have a problem with those as well ??‍♂️ I haven’t seen too many bad things said about the power hobby or agf servos.. I think with the Mojave tires not being to big you shouldn’t need a monster servo :)

hope this helps ??

I just got my Mojave as well. I converted one of my Felony 6s cars to 8s, so I put the electronics from the Felony (2050Kv motor) in the Mojave (as that is what comes on the RTR version of the Mojave). I put the 16T gear on it and gave it a test run. So far no issues.

I have a fan on the motor, but I had to rotate the heatsink/fan on the motor to get it to fit since the mounting bracket in the middle of the chassis prevented the motor pinion gear from getting close enough to the spur to mate up.

My plan is to run this setup for a while, however, my buddy has a Mojave EXB with a castle 1717 1650Kv motor. It's fast... sometimes too fast and is uncontrollable at times (so he says). I might have to step up if I can't seem to keep up with him.

So I think Rcproponent has nailed it. I would add that on my exb kraton I only had to remove the lip on the plastic esc mount plate and trim one tab off of my esc to get a perfect fit. I then used some red double sided tape recommend by my lhs to secure it and one zip tie to boot.

16068508719805749852413298399280.jpg

Hi Everyone - just got a Mojave EXB and have some questions. Sorry, I'm new to large scale RC - so please go easy ;)

1) Since I have to add electronics I was looking at putting in the Hobbywing Max 6 with Hobbywing 4985/1650KV.

a) How does this compare to the stock BLX ESC and stock motor on the non EXB Mojave?

b) Will I get more torque/speed with this setup?

c) Is there a better option than the Hobbywing motor to pair with the Max 6?

d) Do I need to use a heat sync/fan on the motor?

2) Will the Max 6 fit on the ESC mount supplied with the EXB or do I need to get something like the M2C ESC plate?

3) Is there info somewhere on how to determine what tooth pinion to use? My EXB came with a 16 tooth pinion with a yellow warning card stating to run "high speed gearing" on hard flat surfaces only and to not run off road. Ummm, what?? It's all a bit confusing to me..

4) How about servos? I know there are a ton out there. I was looking at Reefs - but not sure if I need/want to spend $100 on a high end one.. Any decent for about half the cost?

Thanks for any info you can help out with! Looking forward to bashing this beast!
Good chioce from what i see on you tube video, mine on the way. Max6 1650kv combo .

So... Does a guy run a Hobbywing 4985 on the stock pinion in a Mojave EXB (not the 16T)? Asking for a friend and thanks... ;)

Best luck with your new monster too @aeromonte! Personally I bought a couple of Reefs Triple 4s after watching a few comparison videos and going crosseyed looking at specs. For the price they look pretty nice. Glowing green n00b with trucks but have flown aircraft for years so I know a good servo when I see one but just my opinion on that. Some things end-up being cheaper in the long run at twice the price of other options if you know what I mean about quality and performance. I'm hoping I can say that about the Reefs but time will tell.

Re: The Basherqueen ESC Mount. Is it possible to get one without an eBay account? Would really like to get one of these. Thanks!

It is testament to the power and love of R/C, not to mention the desperation for high-quality parts that I signed-up for an eBay account so I could get an ESC mount and some diff gaskets to try. Thanks your Majesty!

Last edited:
The best set up for Mojave EXB is Max6 4985 motor
This car needs big motor.
1/7 heavy big car

This combo makes this Mojave strong and fast.
No heating problems.
Only super torque and speed
Pure Happiness

My mojave here:

mojave exb hobbywing MAX6.JPG

mojave exb vs slash 4x4.JPG

I went with the MAX6/4985 combo for my Mojave EXB as well. A couple options for mounting. On the less-expensive side is the mounting plate designed by suchtragedy that is available on thingiverse:

IMG_2720.jpg

I'm using that one on my Kraton EXB:

IMG_2721.jpg

For my Mojave EXB, I went with the M2C mount (the thing is heavy enough!) and it's a work of art:

IMG_2723.jpg

Thanks everyone! Excellent information!

I think I'll start with the 20 and see how she runs. So the 16 tooth pinion that my EXB came with was actually for the stock BLX motor (normal bashing)? Or was it considered the "high speed" pinion for the stock BLX motor? It's confusing because it was in the same bag with that yellow warning card.
What would happen if I used the 16 tooth with the Hobbywing 4985/1650KV? Would it just be way too much torque and no speed?

Have a couple other questions:

1) Battery: are you guys running single 6s or dual 3S? I have a couple 3S from my rock crawler but they only have deans connectors on them. Maybe I should just get a good single 6s (or a couple) and solder an EC5/IC5 to the ESC. Sounds easier.. Thoughts?

2) Differential: I keep seeing posts for having to shim the diff. Does this still need to be done to the EXB version?

Thanks again!

21 is best allround
22 is better if you like super speed also
23 is the best, with extra fan

20 is too little
maybe ok if you set punch to 4 of 5

Better go 5 of 5
and gear it right.

If you don't like speed, turn the radio speed down.

Gearing with max6 and 4985 is best with 21-22
anything less makes this one only drifting

1) Battery: are you guys running single 6s or dual 3S? I have a couple 3S from my rock crawler but they only have deans connectors on them. Maybe I should just get a good single 6s (or a couple) and solder an EC5/IC5 to the ESC. Sounds easier.. Thoughts?

2) Differential: I keep seeing posts for having to shim the diff. Does this still need to be done to the EXB version?

Thanks again!

1. Solder one IC5/EC5 to the ESC and then buy a series harness so you can keep the wiring as short as possible when running one 6S and you can add the harness when you want to run 2 3S packs: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPMXCA506

2. My experience is yes. I added one 13x16x0.1mm shim on the crown gear side of the diff on both the front and the back diffs.

1. Solder one IC5/EC5 to the ESC and then buy a series harness so you can keep the wiring as short as possible when running one 6S and you can add the harness when you want to run 2 3S packs: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPMXCA506

2. My experience is yes. I added one 13x16x0.1mm shim on the crown gear side of the diff on both the front and the back diffs.

I have run my on 8s also.
No problems at all.

Soon i will drive only 8s

Maybe i need the shims too ?

EDIT:
8s i dit 24t
and it is total monster.
SICK

Maybe i need the shims too ?

Unfortunately the need for shims is based on manufacturing tolerances and tolerance stack up - so it's not really possible to predict whether or not you will need shims. If you take the diff housing off the chassis, you will be able to see the mesh between the input pinion and the crown gear on the diff from the bottom of the housing - you can then add shims (if needed) to adjust accordingly.

Unfortunately the need for shims is based on manufacturing tolerances and tolerance stack up - so it's not really possible to predict whether or not you will need shims. If you take the diff housing off the chassis, you will be able to see the mesh between the input pinion and the crown gear on the diff from the bottom of the housing - you can then add shims (if needed) to adjust accordingly.

hMMMmm ok.
Now i understand maybe this.

I have check front and rear diff.
These things sits very tight.
Almost impossible take them out and put them in again.
Very tight.

My car is good then maybe ?

I have alot Kratons and Talions also.
These have one shim stock at drivers position , left side from behind.

I don't think my Mojave need these things right now.

My Mojave is tight
Like my others with these shims already

Hmmm

So... Does a guy run a Hobbywing 4985 on the stock pinion in a Mojave EXB (not the 16T)? Asking for a friend and thanks... ;)

Best luck with your new monster too @aeromonte! Personally I bought a couple of Reefs Triple 4s after watching a few comparison videos and going crosseyed looking at specs. For the price they look pretty nice. Glowing green n00b with trucks but have flown aircraft for years so I know a good servo when I see one but just my opinion on that. Some things end-up being cheaper in the long run at twice the price of other options if you know what I mean about quality and performance. I'm hoping I can say that about the Reefs but time will tell.

Re: The Basherqueen ESC Mount. Is it possible to get one without an eBay account? Would really like to get one of these. Thanks!

It is testament to the power and love of R/C, not to mention the desperation for high-quality parts that I signed-up for an eBay account so I could get an ESC mount and some diff gaskets to try. Thanks your Majesty!
@Rcproponent stated he uses a 20T Pin. on the 4985 HW motor. The 16T may work. It just may not be tall enough though But running the Max6/4985 on 8S will need a bigger Pinion to spool up much like the stock ESC and 2050 kv motor on 6S. That EXB included "speed"pinion is really for a 6S RTR Mojo. setup.

@Rcproponent stated he uses a 20T Pin. on the 4985 HW motor. The 16T may work. It just may not be tall enough though But running the Max6/4985 on 8S will need a bigger Pinion to spool up much like the stock ESC and 2050 kv motor on 6S. That EXB included "speed"pinion is really for a 6S RTR Mojo. setup.

I only got 1 pinion.
Have you self buy this car ? You got 2 ?
I don't believe you ever buy it.

Dream talkers is not the truth ever

Yeah I am a dream talker.:ROFLMAO: How did you know. I followed this thread well. Have you ???
EXB comes with one. Yes.?

Yeah I am a dream talker.:ROFLMAO: How did you know. I followed this thread well. Have you ???

don't take this wrong please.

Anyways
Buy it, be happy like me.
After you got it.
Start talk about it

Go buy one.
Send a Photo
Start talk after that

SORRY FOR OFFTOPIC

^^^ I am sorry for being so rude. Its just that am new to RC and a trying hard to learn. Maybe I should Buy an Arrma 6S RC, so I could be part of your thread. Thanks for educating me. I will move on. This is your parade for sure.:cry:

:cool:

I am beginner here .
Sorry me.

SrC you have Mojaves and alot other cars already i know. You are great Arrma man.

My post before is PM to another and also at other place
Not here at all

I have computer issues.
Sorry

SORRY

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back