Typhon New motor and esc for in my Typhon 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a fan of lower kv taller gearing. I think you get better performance and more run time. It's less about the actual motor's rpm than how the final gear ratio of spur/pinion, differentials and tire size affect actual tire rpm.

I have a 4000kv I run on 2S in a 14 scale truck and a 5700 I run on 2S in a touring car that only weighs about 3lbs. But for a 7 or 8lb 1/10 scale they would burn up in an instant.

We are running a 2850kv and a 2650kv on 3S in the trucks basically problem free.

It's about gearing to take advantage of more torque and lower rpm.

That would've been nice. The one I had came with the 80a Max10 and a 4400kv motor. I probably would've kept had it came with the Max10sct. But once I got my Big Rock I never used it. The stock Big Rock was just faster.
No I meant that's what they put in it.

The 2850kv motors seem to be pretty popular for more torque: I put one in my Typhon 3s on the recommendation of several folks here on the forum. It has increased torque and reduced temps over the stock motor.

And are you looking at doing speed runs with it or off roading? Because that will play an important roll in what system you want as well.
Both, but I can change the pinion when needed. I read a lot about lower kv and bigger pinion. I want as fast as possible. So instead of a max10 with 4000kv. Is it better to buy a max8 with 2200kv and gear it up?! But than I still don't know how to know what the biggest pinion is I can use. Is there some rule for?

Both, but I can change the pinion when needed. I read a lot about lower kv and bigger pinion. I want as fast as possible. So instead of a max10 with 4000kv. Is it better to buy a max8 with 2200kv and gear it up?! But than I still don't know how to know what the biggest pinion is I can use. Is there some rule for?
The biggest pinion I could fit was a 26T using arrma motor mount.
Screenshot_20210721-151022.jpg

This is how it works out in a perfect scenario with buggy tires on. Or 100km/h roughly on a set of hoons.

2200kv would be too slow. Like a 17 or 18 percent reduction in speed over what is shown here.

I guess lower is better but at a certain point you have to consider going to a higher voltage. I really want to try mine on 4S but have a feeling it will end poorly.

So I didn't thought about the option to keep my current motor 3200kv and buy only a new esc the max10. Because I got the LVC problem with my old esc what was causing the problem with my 20t. But with this esc i could go to 4s witouth limiting to 50k rpm. And put a bigger pinion in it! Is that right?

You'll be 33 percent faster theoretically without changing the pinion on 4S.

My prediction would be that you overheat the motor especially if you put on a larger pinion but I dunno really. Still pretty new to the hobby and never played with anything more than 3S.

Alright thanks, I will take a look to a lower kv motor, and a bigger pinion.

Keep the original. Upgrade when the original breaks. Just not worth that money.
Rather add another fan and go to a faster pinion.

In the end the heat is the big problem.

Everytime you want to upgrade put the money aside. It actually pays for a totally new truck after a while!!

Upgrading is cool and "necessary" when you go for speed runs. But the driving time is short due to heat.

Keep the original. Upgrade when the original breaks. Just not worth that money.
Rather add another fan and go to a faster pinion.

In the end the heat is the big problem.

Everytime you want to upgrade put the money aside. It actually pays for a totally new truck after a while!!

Upgrading is cool and "necessary" when you go for speed runs. But the driving time is short due to heat.
This is a great strategy because upgrading unnecessarily doesn't mean it will solve the problem and sometimes makes new problems.

That being said I am deliberately harder on the truck when I want to upgrade something. I want it to break so I have an excuse to go to the hobby store.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back