Typhon New motor (and esc?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinP

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi there guys,

So my nephew, uncle and I all run our typhons out on the track. We have a great time but now my uncle's motor has died.
I myself am currently running a Hobbywing max8 combo together with a spektrum radio and savöx servo. I really like the setup and now my uncle is looking on running the same or even wants it a bit better for his Typhon V3.
We already bought him a SRT HV Brushless servo and got a Futaba 3PV on order. He's currently running one of my V1 blx motors with a blx185 esc.

We've been looking at both the Hobbywing max8 and the XR8-PLUS combo. But is the XR-8 really worth the extra money or not? Do you guys maybe recommend something else? Or should he just keep the blx185 and get another motor?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there guys,

So my nephew, uncle and I all run our typhons out on the track. We have a great time but now my uncle's motor has died.
I myself am currently running a Hobbywing max8 combo together with a spektrum radio and savöx servo. I really like the setup and now my uncle is looking on running the same or even wants it a bit better for his Typhon V3.
We already bought him a SRT HV Brushless servo and got a Futaba 3PV on order. He's currently running one of my V1 blx motors with a blx185 esc.

We've been looking at both the Hobbywing max8 and the XR8-PLUS combo. But is the XR-8 really worth the extra money or not? Do you guys maybe recommend something else? Or should he just keep the blx185 and get another motor?

Thanks in advance!
I run a Castle Mamba Monster X with a sensored 1515-2200 kv motor in my Typhon. It's highly customizable and it rips. The sensored operation makes it smooth as silk. Is it worth the $? That's a personal decision.

I run a Castle Mamba Monster X with a sensored 1515-2200 kv motor in my Typhon. It's highly customizable and it rips. The sensored operation makes it smooth as silk. Is it worth the $? That's a personal decision.
All of this is true. Now if you’re looking just to get a bigger motor, the blx 185 is fine with 4082’s.

Hmm what brand exactly, is that the leopard? How much kv would be the best then?
Brand is your choice. I stick to castle so I’d go with a castle 1518, but they don’t make those anymore. And I use hobbystar now but they use real 6.5mm connectors, not the blx 185’s 4mm... so I guess yeah leopard is the way to go. Kv varies on your driving. If you like 6s I’d stick between 1600 and 2100. For 4s anything from 2200 to 2700 is good. You can always gear up a 1600kv motor to run 4s, but you can’t gear down a 2700kv motor for 6s. For this reason, 1600-2000 is the way to go.

Brand is your choice. I stick to castle so I’d go with a castle 1518, but they don’t make those anymore. And I use hobbystar now but they use real 6.5mm connectors, not the blx 185’s 4mm... so I guess yeah leopard is the way to go. Kv varies on your driving. If you like 6s I’d stick between 1600 and 2100. For 4s anything from 2200 to 2700 is good. You can always gear up a 1600kv motor to run 4s, but you can’t gear down a 2700kv motor for 6s. For this reason, 1600-2000 is the way to go.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the MMX works ok with larger motors such as these? Just curious as I may want to drop to a 2000kv vs the 2200kv in my savage and if I do that, might go for a longer 2000kv for the outcast as well to pick up some torque to keep temps down and load off the esc if possible.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the MMX works ok with larger motors such as these? Just curious as I may want to drop to a 2000kv vs the 2200kv in my savage and if I do that, might go for a longer 2000kv for the outcast as well to pick up some torque to keep temps down and load off the esc if possible.
A monster x should be able to power a 4082 on 6s. I wouldn’t go near a 4092, and i also highly recommend you rewire the fan to run continuously when using a 4082.

A monster x should be able to power a 4082 on 6s. I wouldn’t go near a 4092, and i also highly recommend you rewire the fan to run continuously when using a 4082.
Maybe I'll rewire the fan this weekend... supposed to rain anyway. I wasn't sure if the esc sensed the fan or not and didn't want it shutting off on me because it was smart enough to shut down due to fan failure or lack of one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back