Senton New motor change out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could do that. 3660kv will run much hotter IMO. How hot is anyone's guess. Better fans may help in this regard if heat is a real issue. Monitor temps in the beginning to guage temps. Need an inexpensive heat gun. More heat with 3s versus 2s. Because the 3660kv will rev higher. But if you gear down to a smaller pinion. (2 teeth smaller) it can work no problem. I am sure this has been done successfully. 👍
Others may chime in with more info.
(volts times Kv = rpms)
You are looking at more speed for sure.

You could do that. 3660kv will run much hotter IMO. How hot is anyone's guess. Better fans may help in this regard if heat is a real issue. Monitor temps in the beginning to guage temps. Need an inexpensive heat gun. More heat with 3s versus 2s. Because the 3660kv will rev higher. But if you gear down to a smaller pinion. (2 teeth smaller) it can work no problem. I am sure this has been done successfully. 👍
Others may chime in with more info.
(volts times Kv = rpms)
You are looking at more speed for sure.
Thank you I actually ran it hard before I put it back together n yep like u say she heats up much quicker but the heatsink and fan from the original mother fit on it tried it that way still a bit hot but way cooler than with out,appreciate the response

I would say you'll be fine I run a 3660sl 4600kv motor on one of my sentons with stock esc
Just put the heatsink and fan on it I use a lower pinion gear too cause the 4600kv alot what kv is the hobbywing motor you have cause they have 3200 up to 4600 on the ezrun if its 3200 no difference but if its 4600 like mine I know you can only run 2s I blew out some bearing running 3s

Last edited:
I would say you'll be fine I run a 3660sl 4600kv motor on one of my sentons with stock esc
Just put the heatsink and fan on it I use a lower pinion gear too cause the 4600kv alot what kv is the hobbywing motor you have cause they have 3200 up to 4600 on the ezrun if its 3200 no difference but if its 4600 like mine I know you can only run 2s I blew out some bearing running 3s
What is your thought on what pinion gear to use

Drop 2 teeth down if possible. And it fits.
The 2 tooth rule, up or down depending on your objective. Speed vs Torque, Heat reduction etc.
Unless you have a complete consecutive selection of pinions on hand, but it's safe to jump 2 teeth at a time when needing to buy individual and unsure.

30$ 3670-2850kv an probly run 3s 22pinion an not worry about motor fan in summer👍.last summer only combo that wouldn't overheat is stock blx100,2050kv 6s motor with 26t..high 90s running back to back packs no problems at all.torque monster compared to stock

30$ 3670-2850kv an probly run 3s 22pinion an not worry about motor fan in summer👍.last summer only combo that wouldn't overheat is stock blx100,2050kv 6s motor with 26t..high 90s running back to back packs no problems at all.torque monster compared to stock
I might just try that I have an extra 2850 in my parts bin thanx for that
The one I tossed in temporarily is the ez run 3660 with the stock box 100 esc,I put the spektrum heat sink and fan on it still gets a bit hot though 21t pinion,what are your thoughts on that if I may ask

Last edited:

The one I tossed in temporarily is the ez run 3660 with the stock box 100 esc,I put the spektrum heat sink and fan on it still gets a bit hot though 21t pinion,what are your thoughts on that if I may ask
Correction 20 tooth

My typhon was overheating stock blx100 3200 kv system on a 20T during summer time but no fan only heat
Oh yeah she gets hot quick without the heat sink n fan
Drop 2 teeth down if possible. And it fits.
The 2 tooth rule, up or down depending on your objective. Speed vs Torque, Heat reduction etc.
Unless you have a complete consecutive selection of pinions on hand, but it's safe to jump 2 teeth at a time when needing to buy individual and unsure.
I dropped her down 2 clicks to an 18 she still gets a bit hot but no more overheat still rips on 3s or 2s,good call

Just put the heatsink and fan on it I use a lower pinion gear too cause the 4600kv alot what kg is the hobbywing motor you have cause they have 3200 up to 4600 on the ezrun if its 3200 no difference but if its 4600 like mine I know you can only run 2s I blew out some

I run a 17t usually but anywhere from 15-18 is good
I would also make sure on what kv the motor is cause the ezrun 3660 has a 3200kv 4000kv and 4600kv if its 4600kv I know you can only run 2s or it'll blow the bearings

I run a 17t usually but anywhere from 15-18 is good
I would also make sure on what kv the motor is cause the ezrun 3660 has a 3200kv 4000kv and 4600kv if its 4600kv I know you can only run 2s or it'll blow the bearings
Yeah its 4000going to pick up a couple 2s tommorow

Bro. Get a 3200 kv. You gonna be much happier. And go 3S on the max 10 sct
20T 3200kv with heatsink no fan is overheat for sure in 20+°c on a 5000 mAh battery when pushing it.

Recently put a 3670 2850kv in 20T heatsink no fan. Adding a fan for summer for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah its 4000going to pick up a couple 2s tommorow
The 4000kv you can still run 3s I'd just go with like a 16t pinion

Screenshot_20210228-145315_Chrome.jpg

4k kv too high with any 3s. any gear in a 4x4 🤷‍♂️

I did not try it but I had the castle 4600kv sidewinder combo I think 16t pinion and did not have heat issues esc wise but the bearings were roasted in 1 pack (motor bearings, both in pieces in the motor) it was fine after and temps were checked and fine but on the second pack it didnt sound healthy.Opened it up and yup bb's everywhere, windage was not destroyed but woa the wear it took. Now replaced with ceramics and taken out nad put into a 2wd sct. If anything see if you can spur up as well get creative alot of cooling options as well. Give it a couple passes check temps if your already in the danger zone then stop and come back with findings ?

I replaced my stock drive with Hobbywing 3660/3200KV Max 10SCT while waiting for my motor replacement from Horizon. First thing I noticed is minimum cogging. This was my major complaint with the Spektrum unit. Very hard to run at partial throttle. HW unit fixed that. Secondly, it runs cooler. Power seems to be equal.

20210224_103923.jpg

20210225_123750.jpg

I replaced my stock drive with Hobbywing 3660/3200KV Max 10SCT while waiting for my motor replacement from Horizon. First thing I noticed is minimum cogging. This was my major complaint with the Spektrum unit. Very hard to run at partial throttle. HW unit fixed that. Secondly, it runs cooler. Power seems to be equal.

View attachment 129530

View attachment 129531
I just wonder if it will work with the 3660 4000kvbut I think on gonna try it

Back