New Motor Position For the Infraction/Limitless Platform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diem Turner

Yes...I have a Premium Member
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
Before I get into it, This modification applies to the Infraction V1/V2, Felony & Limitless V1 that have been upgraded to a carbon fiber chassis. I have only tested this on a carbon fiber chassis (Scorched GT in my case but any other CF chassis should work just the same) and I suspect that it wouldn't work on the factory chassis due to it's contours. But if someone wants to try this on the factory chassis and report back, that would be swell. I don't have one myself, otherwise I would have tested it for completeness.

**************************************************************************​

Swap the front and rear center drive shafts and drill holes for the new location of the motor/diff mount (I filled the original holes in with an epoxy/carbon fiber mixture, but that's optional and not strictly necessary). This modification moves the motor/diff mount towards the rear of the car by about 66mm but still leaves lots of room for long motors. In the images below I'm pushing the limits of what will fit. The TP Power 4080 (117mm) will fit but it's tight and the end of the can nudges the hing pin holder which pushes the minimum TTC up to 77. But pretty much any other motor up to and including something like a Castle 2028 or TP 5680/5860 will fit without issue.

This position offers two notable advantages over the stock flipped motor mount layout.
  1. I find that the available space on the chassis is better utilized as more of the main chassis surface is pushed together into one contiguous surface.
  2. This setup dramatically changes the severity of the angle of the dangle...I mean of the front drive shaft. My front bulkhead is shimmed up ever so slightly, but I don't think it would look all that much different if it wasn't and I have a strong suspicion that this would help alleviate the known issue with the front shaft overheating due to high frequency oscillations.
If anyone else decides to try this out and has had problems with trashing their front drive shafts in the past, let me/us know if you experience any improvement in terms of average time between failures. Thanks in advance.

Here's a look at the angle (or lack thereof) of my front center drive shaft.
1681212726376.jpeg

1681212749382.jpeg

And this is just an overall look at the lay of the land post-op. I can now fit 4x4S side by side up front for optimal weight distribution and I just find the space much more useable. If you don't ever plan on running more than two batteries on a chassis this large, real estate really isn't ever a problem.
1681221219991.jpeg

Last edited:
Great work on this one, I cannot wait to see your cars run when the weather improves.

For the topic of maximizing real estate..... I have in the past drilled a 2.8mm hole for the m3 screw and then tapped carbon fiber with threads. This will allow you to avoid needing the nut on the opposing side allowing even more room in situations like this:

1681227188733.png

Great work on this one, I cannot wait to see your cars run when the weather improves.

For the topic of maximizing real estate..... I have in the past drilled a 2.8mm hole for the m3 screw and then tapped carbon fiber with threads. This will allow you to avoid needing the nut on the opposing side allowing even more room in situations like this:

View attachment 291953
That's a good shout, thanks bro. Technically those are just little transition plates that I added because of those slivers of plexiglass where the chassis meets the front assembly. I don't think I'll need those when I make the final CF version but, tapping stuff like that is a good idea in general.
1681227661595.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back