Outcast New Outcast 6s owner w/ some dumb questions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jptothetree

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm back to the RC game after 18 years out of it. My last rig was a T-Maxx when I was a kid and I literally had no idea what I was doing with it back then. Coming back into this as an adult, I want to approach it differently and take my time to get to know this little beast of a truck! I'm so shocked at how powerful it is and I'd like to take good care of it so it runs like a champ.

That being said, I've already encountered issues with the front ring and pinion in the front diff, and I'm currently waiting on some replacement parts. I managed to break several teeth on both the ring and pinion gears there, though I'm not sure what exactly I did to cause that... possibly I'm just making driver errors with all this crazy instant torque. This lead me down a path of investigation of differential shims, diff fluid weights, yada yada yada and now I'm just left with a few questions.

1. On the Outcast 6S "exploded view" on their website, I see that the front / rear differentials are already internally shimmed. I don't see a diagram showing the center diff though.. Is the center diff shimmed as well? Is there any need to add more shims internally to any of these diffs to beef them up? Or is that not necessary?
Side note: I'll be adding new diff fluid (30k front, 100k center, 30k rear)

2. Am I correct in saying by adding another shim or two to the outside of the front diff cup would help mesh the ring / pinion tighter and therefore prevent the stripping / breakages I've already experienced?

3. (Likely the dumbest question on this list, sorry for my ignorance on the matter) Why does the 4S version of the Outcast get a slipper clutch and not this one?

4. Any driving tips for this absolute insane torque monster? I'm really not used to this kind of instant power and I think that played a part to me breaking gears within only two outings. I'd like to bash it and go fast, but in a manner that won't be breaking my stuff >.<

Thanks for reading, and any info is appreciated!

Last edited:
1 no not if is a v4
2. Yes if you think you need it add a shim
3.the 4s version is based off the 3s line up.
4.landing on throttle after a jump will destroy diffs. Also concrete/asphalt and constant wheelies don’t help due to the added grip on concrete. Standing backflips are also not recommended.
hope this helps and good luck????
Stock center is 100k. I’d go with 200-500k. Most people run 500

Usually it's either center diff or slipper. Center diff being the more tunable and robust option. Slipper being cheaper and that's about it.

A slipper on 6s in such a heavy rig would probably become a burned mess the first time you took it out :)

Welcome, you picked a fun truck. These guys have you covered pretty well. I’ll just add that diff breakages will go down once you get the hang of driving down better.

I just ordered an extra front/rear diff just to have on hand. I'll be swapping the stock shims for the Mugen ones and filling with 30k diff fluid to have ready if need be!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back