Outcast New Outcast!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_shansen

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey guys,

I'm new the forum and just picked up an Outcast. I've had two 4x4 slashes and a Savage Flux HP. I've been eyeing the Arrma lineup since the Nero was introduced then gravitated to the Kraton when doing more research. I had the Savage for almost a year, but it was expensive to maintain. After fixing all the weak points, I sold it and ordered an Outcast.

While waiting for the truck to come back in stock and then getting shipped to me, I did a fair amount of research into spring setup and weak points to upgrade. Ready for the outcast before its maiden were a hot racing rear chassis brace, tekno orange (front) and yellow (rear) springs, rpm wing mount, and a hot racing servo mount. I also promptly did the "stripped grub screw on the pinion" mod. After deciding to leave the 12t pinion on, I took out the truck and broke a front A arm. The next day I replaced the arm and then did the "drilled out grub screw" mod along with the "drilled too much and left a divot in the motor shaft" mod. With the 16t pinion on, I took the truck to a skate park and had a blast.

I took out the truck again, this time to a dirt/gravel field. The motor is running much hotter than my Savage so I'm curious what gearing you all are running. I'm doing just 4s as that is plenty fast for me. My mesh is pretty good (just a little bit of play), but I plan to double check. Also, ambient temps were low 80s.

Thanks to all (especially @WoodiE & @Rich Duperbash) for the help as I've been lurking for a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 56
You should be fine with that gear. Are you checking the motor temp by feel or with a temp gun ? These motors can get up to 170 and be fine. That feels hot to the touch. When you stop.... the motor gets hotter. Then will drop 10 degrees when you start moving. Adding a fan helps and a fan heatsink is great also. I stay under 180 F with my motors. If you are finding that your motor gets blistering hot within about 2 mins of a run.... you may have a cold solder joint

@WoodiE - I lurked on the Savage forum for help when I had the Savage, but I sold it to fund to the Outcast. So far, I'm not sad to see it go. Too many broken diffs, arms, etc to be missed. When it ran, it was awesome.

@Vanning I saw other posts with folks running the same gearing so maybe I'm just paranoid. I don't have a temp gun (yet) so I was going off touch, and I didn't want to touch it more than 1 or 2 seconds before it was unbearable. This was after 15+ min of hard driving. With the Savage running 4s, the motor was just pleasantly warm after a run. I'll get a temp gun soon and take note of temps. Thanks!

Everyone has different tolerances to the touch test on motors. I just ran my rig on 4S 2200kv and was at 150-160 and heat soaking to 170 if I stopped (no fan). I have telemetry hooked up to my receiver so I can see the temp easily. By the end of the run it was at these temps. It runs for about 17 mins. 2 seconds is all I wanted to touch the motor for. I have an office job, my hands are smooth and sensitive so 160 170 feels very uncomfortable. 4S is very inefficient so it can run a little hot to get the speeds we like. Especially with big tires and a beefy RC. A 6S setup tends to run cooler and longer. More voltage with the correct KV motor is more efficient and produces less heat. I usually expect a heavy 4S rig to run a little hot. Adding a heatsink and fan help or you could drop a tooth or 2 on the pinion. Mostly.... don't guess at your heat... stay under 180. you are probably running cooler than you think.

Last edited:
Totally understand. I also work in an office so I have wussy hands.

I tried to do some research on the 6s setup running cooler. I can see why it would make sense for the ESC and batteries (less current because more voltage), but I'm not sure about how it would affect the motor unless I run a lower kv motor. I guess I could gear down to for less motor strain. Can you point me to where I can learn more?

Finally got a temp gun and was monitoring motor temps throughout tonight's run. About midway, temps were about 160 and after some speed runs, temps increased to about 188 with temps slowly dropping. I don't always do speed runs, but I wanted to push the temps to get the high end of the temps it's going through so I think I should be okay with the setup. I'll keep monitoring though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back