Granite New owner impressions after a couple of runs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablos

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey Guys,

I took granite to a local park yesterday for some fun. I packed up two battery packs from Ovelander one 35c 5000 mAh and the second one 65c 5300 mAh. The first battery I ran only on 50% throttle on the STX2 remote and it gave me 30 minutes of play time with 3.4V in each cell afterwards. Second battery I ran at 100% throttle and got around 25 minutes of play and around 3.4V in each cell afterwards when was putting both batteries into storage charge. I found it quite reasonable and enough fun to be got I suppose. When I was changing batteries during the play I took a couple of minute break just to let the electronics cool a little bit. When I touched the engine it wasn't very hot, I was able to touch it for a sec. It was around 8 degrees in the evening so quite a chilly evening which undoubtedly helped with the cooling.

The car was brilliant I did a mixture of high speed runs on tarmac, some very slow crawler speed like on various hilly and downhill terrain and some grass bashing.

One thing I found out especially trying to control car on slow speeds is that is it very hard to do even on 50% of throttle. The car just wants to go. One of the reasons I suppose is the brushless motor where there is very little resistance compared to brushed motors with brushes dragging and slowing the car down etc. Another reason is my lack of skill but nevermind :)

I broke the front bumper on one side when I hit a curb at quite a high speed. I thought there would be more damage but car stood up well. No big deal you can still drive it and it's hardly noticeable.

One other thing I found out on higher speed is the car is very hard to control. You need to be extremely precise with steering if you want to drive in a straight line. The car never seems to be driving straight with no steering input from the radio. It is only noticeable on higher speeds though despite me trying to calibrate the radio. Also the road was skewed sideways so the car will turn to one side then and hard to judge whether it's driving straight if that makes sense. It makes me wonder if there is something like dual steering at various speeds, as speed increases your inputs are subdued on the radio??

Just wanted to share my good experience and thoughts! Maybe somebody will find it beneficial

Take care all
Paul

Great review Paul , to get the steering input you require you will need a radio with expo setting on the steering , with a positive expo it’s less sensitive around centre but it still turns the full radius when fully turned .

that's exactly what I am looking for. I presume the likes of Spektrum DX5C provide this option?
That’s what I use but I think there are cheaper options that offer same , we have a kraton and a typhon my little boy always comments how much easier my kraton keeps straight when approaching a jump compared to his typhon . I have a remote on the way for him but I’ve not told him yet. If I take off my expo it’s night and day .

Nice review! thanks.

that's exactly what I am looking for. I presume the likes of Spektrum DX5C provide this option?
Yes, but also other options that costs third the price. (flysky gt5 for example).

The Granite has short wheelbase, and doesn't want to run straight with the default tuning, if you love doing speedruns you can change the tow setting so the front wheels will point slightly to the center (the stock setting they point outwards).

Also for the steering, if you're going fast for a few runs, you can reduce the dual rate on the DX2, which will reduce the steering sensitivity, it's a quick dial turn.

One last thing about the temps, my rule for safe temps is 5 seconds. everything between 2-5 seconds is borderline, 1 sec is most likely too much.

Thanks a lot for this. I was planning to keep the stock radio for a while but I can clearly see it has its limitations. I think a better radio is required due to safety considerations as well as speed increases....

Thanks a lot for this. I was planning to keep the stock radio for a while but I can clearly see it has its limitations. I think a better radio is required due to safety considerations as well as speed increases....
I have ordered the flysky for my boy but haven’t got it yet so I can’t give an opinion on it vs the dx5c , the flysky would also give you some stability control . Whether you would like or not would be your choice , I can certainly say that my kraton was like a different car when using the dx5c on it . I’m sure most remotes at this price would all operate the same though

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back