Notorious New owner... need suggestions on parts/hardware to keep in tool box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For diff service, using naptha (found in the paint aisle in hardware stores) will break down silicone oil. I use a little paint brush cleaning pan and half a cup of naptha with a toothbrush to clean the cup out and gears off. I did remove the silicone o-ring and ring gear seal before applying naptha. Not sure if those can handle sitting in that stuff.

For years, I had just been using paper towels and q-tips to clean out old silicone oil as soap/water doesn't even touch it. Then recently I found that naptha breaks it down. Makes servicing a diff a lot less irritating. It also removes all the grease from the ring/pinion as well.

A good grease to use for the ring/pinion is marine grease or red "sticky" grease. It tends to stay on the gears better vs just having a path cut through the grease and being flung off. I've read that this stuff works well:
https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10574-Tacky-GREASE/dp/B0049SUK5Y
That tub will last nearly forever. I really need to buy some. lol!

After washing it out with naptha, I spray DA (denatured alcohol, also in the paint aisle) and scrub gently with a toothbrush to remove the naptha before putting it back together and adding oil. When filling with oil, I put a drop of it on the o-rings, then put those in, drop in the shim on the output shaft, put the pin in the output shaft, put a drop on the shim, then put the sun gear on the shaft. I usually put a small blob of the oil on the sun gear in the cup, then I put in the spider gears/shims/cross pins and push those down into the oil so they mesh with the sun gear. Then I let it sit a bit and for the oil to settle. I add more oil until it's at the top of the cross pins, but let it settle after adding as the higher viscosity oil takes a while to settle down into the cup/gears. 500k takes a while... 1M seems to take forever.

On 4s it is hard to break these trucks, but still, start thinking about that first diff service. Get your fluids and shims ordered, watch some ThomasP YouTube vids, and get some decent hex drivers. Plan on cracking them open before you are a dozen packs in. The good news is the Arrma 6s cars are super simple to work on, compared to most brands.

Thank you so much, will do. There are tons of links of shims from different brands.

Could I please get an opinion on which is the best most compatible complete set I need for all three differentials ? I've seen Muegen, Tekno, Arrma, AE, etc ...

Now i'm very confused on what to order for a complete set :-D

Thank you guys !

Thank you so much, will do. There are tons of links of shims from different brands.

Could I please get an opinion on which is the best most compatible complete set I need for all three differentials ? I've seen Muegen, Tekno, Arrma, AE, etc ...

Now i'm very confused on what to order for a complete set :-D

Thank you guys !

I used these to push the ring gear into the pinion a bit. I was able to fit 3 in there and still have a tick of play on my outcast:
SWX-101018 SWorkz 13x16x0.2mm

On the inside of the cups, I used all of these: MUGE0206 Mugen Seiki Differential Washer Set
One big one under each sun/planetary gear and a small one behind each spider/satellite gear. I did a completely dry fit of this before putting in 100K to make sure it didn't bind or sound weird when spinning the output shafts in opposite directions. Same on the center diff, but 500K there.

I also need to confirm which set or sets do I need to do all 3 diffs.
links or part numbers would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Olds97_lss

SWX-101018 SWorkz 13x16x0.2mm = Center diff?
MUGE0206 Mugen Seiki Differential Washer Set = Front and Rear diffs?

Thanks

Olds97_lss

Thanks
I have a hand written list at home with sizes and where they would be applied. Hold tight til tonight and I'll get you the list. If you want to do the work, I searched different threads on the topic, and hand wrote notes as I went along. Some of the shims I bought are from Calandra Racing, Associated, Mugen and Team Durango. Cal and Dur are hard to come by now, but with a little digging.......... Another thing to consider when buying shims, isn't just o.d and i.d, thickness is important too. Having a variety of same size shims but in different thicknesses, allows for precise application.

Olds97_lss

Thanks

MUGE0206 Mugen Seiki Differential Washer Set = 1 package for the internals for all 3 diffs front/center/rear, 1 smaller one under each spider gear, one larger under each sun gear, 6 shims per diff, after removing the stock shims

SWX-101018 SWorkz 13x16x0.2mm = front/rear diff only to shim the ring gear side bearing for better mesh with the ring/pinion, quantity used varies. I used 3 on each diff on my outcast. Can't recall if stock had any shims here, if there were, I removed them.

So why are you removing the stock shims and not adding to them?
In the short time they were in the truck (probably 3-4 packs worth), they were already well scored from the spider gears running on them. In my hands, they felt a lot more flexible than the MUGEN shims, so assuming the Mugen's are made of harder material, they would have been less likely to wear over time.

I still kept them, but I didn't need more after adding 6 of the mugens in the diffs. I don't think my outcast had any under the larger sun gears, only ones on the 4 spiders. When I put the mugens in, I put them on all 4 spiders and the sun gears. I didn't like the thought of the back of the gear/pin rubbing right on the o-ring that's there to keep the oil in. When dry, it still spun pretty free, so I left all 6 in there.

Thanks for the info!

Any links on tuning diffs or shimming them?
Thickness gear oil for diffs?

Thanks again!
There’s videos of shimming the diffs it’s pretty simple. I used 60k/100k/30k front/center/rear differential fluid.
I keep wing mounts, input shaft (inside front and rear diffs) complete screw kit, tire glue, body mounts, shock parts, bearing kit, and as others have said upgrade as you find the weak points. I’d buy an upgraded servo like a savox 1210sg to have on hand cuz you’ll need it lol

Here's that list I promised. Sizes and manufacturer's that might carry them, plus what I'm using at the moment

Attachments

• 20190127_160656.jpg
    20190127_160656.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190127_161214.jpg
    20190127_161214.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 55
On 4s it is hard to break these trucks, but still, start thinking about that first diff service. Get your fluids and shims ordered, watch some ThomasP YouTube vids, and get some decent hex drivers. Plan on cracking them open before you are a dozen packs in. The good news is the Arrma 6s cars are super simple to work on, compared to most brands.

Stay away from curbs at high speeds... They seem to be very efficient at breaking stuff on anythingS..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back