Mojave New paint job for the Jave!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summitp

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Senton 6s
Took forever, but today I hunkered down and knocked it off. I now remember why it has been so many years since I painted a body. It's a bit of a pain in the ass. I am pleased with the outcome despite a few mistakes. We'll see how long it lasts before I hack it up to make room for the bigger rubber. Check it out.

IMG_20210724_151755.jpg

IMG_20210724_140511.jpg

IMG_20210724_122220.jpg

IMG_20210718_134119.jpg

118124212387.jpg

Aha! Caught red-handed in your own photos! Don't think we didn't notice how, in the third picture, it's quite clear you employed the help of a professional painter and are now trying to take credit for yourself! :mad:

Seriously though, this is an amazing job. It looks like something you'd see on a real race car! I'm stuggling to figure out how you managed to mask things up and spray things in a specific order to get this kind of result with so many different colors.

It is definitely a pain in the butt to do, but man, the end result can be so satisfying. ;)

Thanks! Super stoked on it. I just used Tamiya red yellow orange white black polycarbonate spray cans. I had a little silver and blue that I used for the shocks, and otherwise it was just a rattle can job.
I masked off everything except for white first. To get the lines on the hood, I measured how wide it should be at the back, and how wide at the front, found a centerline, and trimmed it up on wax paper. Then transferred the pieces to the body. Sounds more complicated than it is. Masked off all black areas, then masked off all red areas, then orange, the. Yellow. Painted white first, several coats then backed with silver. Then peel up yellow tape, paint yellow. Peel up orange tape, paint orange, then red, paint red. More silver backing, then peel up black and paint black.
Not too hard. Gotta plan it out logically in your head how it's gonna go.

Very nice! It can get complicated real quick if you don't pay attention. Really good looking job.

Damn dude. Sniper. All you saw was the fog. Impressive. 1995 540i sport package 6 speed manual car. 😁

IMG_20210425_125807.jpg

And if you haven't driven your Mojave with larger tires, I recommend you try it. It's sooo much better. I lasted 1 battery pack on the original tiny ones before I started hacking up my brand new body. Back to real rubber on this thing.

IMG_20210725_101212.jpg

And if you haven't driven your Mojave with larger tires, I recommend you try it. It's sooo much better. I lasted 1 battery pack on the original tiny ones before I started hacking up my brand new body. Back to real rubber on this thing.

View attachment 160204
I noticed the rims are different front to rear. Are the sizes and offsets the same? What are they from? I know most seem to do the Talion rims and tires on the Mojave, but yours look cool. Also, that paint job is freaking awesome! Caught me off guard, a real blast from the past!

Yeah, they are different. I find the more curved profile of the badlands 3.8 more suited to a front role, while the backflip lp are superior for rear duty.
I kid.
I have 2 different tires because I broke one from each set. Rears are backflip lp, and fronts are proline badlands. 3.8. they work fine together.

Yeah, they are different. I find the more curved profile of the badlands 3.8 more suited to a front role, while the backflip lp are superior for rear duty.
I kid.
I have 2 different tires because I broke one from each set. Rears are backflip lp, and fronts are proline badlands. 3.8. they work fine together.
Thanks for the info. What size are the rims? Do they have different offsets?
My father worked for Goodyear in the early 80‘s at their proving ground in West Texas. One of the projects they were testing was extreme duty off road tires. Hardcore 1:1 racing tires. Ivan Stewart was there for a few days driving and testing. After watching him rip for days, my dad was offered a ride along with Stewart. The Ironman blasted across the desert at 100+, took whoops and jumps, and generally just tore up the desert for awhile. Scared the hell out of my dad, but boy was he impressed. He was amazed that the truck was so well set up that they could get massive air running flat out and sometimes land so smoothly he thought they were still airborne until Stewart ripped into the throttle again. Unfortunately my dad is in no way a gearhead, so he couldn’t answer any of my many questions about anything but the tires. I wish I could have been there that day! Stewart‘s a bad ass!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back