Kraton New person looking for advice...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have a small enough tool to push the pin out and get the car apart tonight.

Just in case some of you really are having your kids read some of this because they are glued to computer screens all day long, or if maybe you have been like that yourself, here's a little more how I see it after about 40 years straight of it.

Like I said in a previous post... almost everything I've done in my life was not real. It only ever existed in a save file on a hard drive, and never mattered to anyone except me. And it only mattered too me in the moment, once it was over it didn't matter too me anymore either. Because it wasn't real, it doesn't matter. When I look back at the last 40 years now, I have very little to remember. Most of it were things I created or did in fake places, or things I created and did that were never published and nobody ever saw but me. It's all a blank, because it's all forgotten, because none of it ever mattered. The memory of my life is almost entirely Christmas, my birthday, my relatives birthdays... and back through that cycle again for the next year. Because that was what was real, and that was what mattered... so that's almost all of what I even remember, because most of my life never really happened.

"Put down your computers and do something real..."

The Tin Foil Hat Prophet

I tried to upload a short how to video, but it wouldn't ?. I retract the words tricky and "good luck". You got this my friend ?. Realize that joining parts sometimes stick a little bit and slight force is needed to slide the set pin laterally enough to remove the top brace. Do it once and you'll be a pro?. These rigs can be frustrating to learn initially, but the process is rewarding in the end. It forces you to think critically and adapt to overcome problems. Pictograms only go so far. These rigs are actually engineered fairly brilliantly. The deeper you dive into them, the more you'll understand and appreciate the design. PS, quality tools are worth their weight in gold?
[/QUOTe
I find Arrma 6S rigs to be very intuitive to work on. But I am a hands on type of person. I only need a blow up diagram and a parts list to get things done easily. If I lived on a keyboard most of my life perhaps it would be hard to figure out RC RTR'S .
I tried to upload a short how to video, but it wouldn't ?. I retract the words tricky and "good luck". You got this my friend ?. Realize that joining parts sometimes stick a little bit and slight force is needed to slide the set pin laterally enough to remove the top brace. Do it once and you'll be a pro?. These rigs can be frustrating to learn initially, but the process is rewarding in the end. It forces you to think critically and adapt to overcome problems. Pictograms only go so far. These rigs are actually engineered fairly brilliantly. The deeper you dive into them, the more you'll understand and appreciate the design. PS, quality tools are worth their weight in gold?
[/QUOTe
I find Arrma 6S rigs to be very intuitive to work on. But I am a hands on type of person. I only need a blow up diagram and a parts list to get things done easily. If I lived on a keyboard most of my life perhaps it would be hard to figure out RC RTR'S .

New person K,
Most kits are for experts and/or Racing. My definition of an RC expert will vary from yours and others. To me an expert is someone who does this for a living. Team drivers who race kits. I guarantee you that there is no Team driver running any RTR. Not a single one. The rest of us are hobbyists. I am partial to kits not because I am any expert although club racing got me into this years past, but because I like to build. I have a method and formula for my builds after years of kit building. But RTR'S are here to stay and RTR'S cost less for a reason compared to kits as a whole. So newcomers can jump in and enjoy with less money required. And Arrma has a strong hold with excellent products. But Arrma rigs do not pretend to be more than bashers. Bashing is their motto. And Arrma goes out of their way to make their rigs user friendly( RTR) and includes an unprecedented 2 year warranty. And they truly honor it.
You are stuck in the Matrix that keeps repeating...shut the PC down for a bit and tinker with your Arrma rig. Great therapy and all. Personal satisfaction will result.

Last edited:
Funny that you would mention that... I can't be stuck in The Matrix, I know how it works. I'd easily find my way out.

That was the whole point of the car, but I am still stuck on internet more than I was wanting to be because there are no instructions. I understand that the kit cars themselves are more for advanced users, and because the RTR cars come pre-built this community thinks they are for beginners. And because that is apparently... somehow... how this hobby has evolved. I am sure there is a history too it that makes sense. But today, in 2019... these "dying hobby" companies can turn that around in a flash with good instructions for how to break down the major components of the cars. They can still go to YouTube and internet to learn how to rebuild differentials and transmissions and stuff... but an instruction manual for breaking down the car would make all the difference in the world in retaining new people who try it.

I don't want to explain it all here, and I can't explain it all because I don't really know the marketing stuff anyway. But I do understand the audience very well, and these cars would be a lot more popular with the current generation if they came with tutorial instructions for how to take them apart and take them back together again. Arrma in particular, with their modular design (I understand modular designs well from spaceships in games:) is in a very good place to go nuts with this type of stuff. It doesn't mean simplifying or changing the design of the cars at all, just giving new people the confidence to know that they are doing it right when they go to try and take it apart and fix something.

Just step back and think about it from the outside of your established world... does it make sense that you all insist that cars that don't come with instructions are for beginners, and cars that come with instructions are for advanced users?

But this isn't a big deal too me. I wanted something to do that was real, and using the internet for the sake of the car is something real. The car is real. I would have rather just sat at a table with paper like it was the 1950's... but this still works for me. It is what it is, and you never get everything you want.

My fathers barn has a room full of tools, but nothing small. It's off too the town and the hardware store tomorrow!
New person K,
Most kits are for experts and/or Racing. My definition of an RC expert will vary from yours and others. To me an expert is someone who does this for a living. Team drivers who race kits. I guarantee you that there is no Team driver running any RTR. Not a single one. The rest of us are hobbyists. I am partial to kits not because I am any expert although club racing got me into this years past, but because I like to build. I have a method and formula for my builds after years of kit building. But RTR'S are here to stay and RTR'S cost less for a reason compared to kits as a whole. So newcomers can jump in and enjoy with less money required. And Arrma has a strong hold with excellent products. But Arrma rigs do not pretend to be more than bashers. Bashing is their motto. And Arrma goes out of their way to make their rigs user friendly( RTR) and includes an unprecedented 2 year warranty. And they truly honor it.
You are stuck in the Matrix that keeps repeating...shut the PC down for a bit and tinker with your Arrma rig. Great therapy and all. Personal satisfaction will result.

What 2 year warranty? Mine broke in less then 2 days and I am on my own. It's a hobby where the cars are meant to break, which is why there should be instructions. Is there a warranty that would cover my problem? Now I am REALLY confused...

Last edited:
Funny that you would mention that... I can't be stuck in The Matrix, I know how it works. I'd easily find my way out.

That was the whole point of the car, but I am still stuck on internet more than I was wanting to be because there are no instructions. I understand that the kit cars themselves are more for advanced users, and because the RTR cars come pre-built this community thinks they are for beginners. And because that is apparently... somehow... how this hobby has evolved. I am sure there is a history too it that makes sense. But today, in 2019... these "dying hobby" companies can turn that around in a flash with good instructions for how to break down the major components of the cars. They can still go to YouTube and internet to learn how to rebuild differentials and transmissions and stuff... but an instruction manual for breaking down the car would make all the difference in the world in retaining new people who try it.

I don't want to explain it all here, and I can't explain it all because I don't really know the marketing stuff anyway. But I do understand the audience very well, and these cars would be a lot more popular with the current generation if they came with tutorial instructions for how to take them apart and take them back together again. Arrma in particular, with their modular design (I understand modular designs well from spaceships in games:) is in a very good place to go nuts with this type of stuff. It doesn't mean simplifying or changing the design of the cars at all, just giving new people the confidence to know that they are doing it right when they go to try and take it apart and fix something.

Just step back and think about it from the outside of your established world... does it make sense that you all insist that cars that don't come with instructions are for beginners, and cars that come with instructions are for advanced users?

But this isn't a big deal too me. I wanted something to do that was real, and using the internet for the sake of the car is something real. The car is real. I would have rather just sat at a table with paper like it was the 1950's... but this still works for me. It is what it is, and you never get everything you want.

My fathers barn has a room full of tools, but nothing small. It's off too the town and the hardware store tomorrow!

What 2 year warranty? Mine broke in less then 2 days and I am on my own. It's a hobby where the cars are meant to break, which is why there should be instructions. Is there a warranty that would cover my problem? Now I am REALLY confused...

The warranty is for parts, not cluelessness.
True dat.

If you have the ability to disassemble and locate the exact broken part with certainty. And you can elaborate to Horizon service the specific part number that failed with a good photo and proof of purchase, and if it clearly appears the part in question is not from normal wear and use and "User Error" was not responsible, Horizon Hobby usually steps in and replaces the part. They have for me. They never denied me any claim. I always supply a part number and keep it simple.. I find Horizon can be generous and flexible with warranties if you can articulate the items I mentioned above. If you try to beat them up regarding the product, they will shut you down. Pretty much how life works outside a PC.

HUH

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 36
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back