Kraton New purchase: Kraton 4S V2 or 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSnook

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
New to the forum here. Looking to get back into RC for weekend warrior bashing. I’m pretty certain I want a Kraton. I’ve got an old team associated 1/8 buggy I broke and can’t get parts for anymore. But I’ve got a good radio, 4S lipos, brushless motor and a couple decent servos.

Live on an acre with an open backyard so I’ll build a ramp, thinking 30 degrees. I’ve never had a rig that’s built for backflips. The Kraton seems like a great all around car to tool around the street and off road

I’m leaning 4S for the cost, simplicity and I already have 4S lipos but I’m hoping to get some feedback from people who have had at least one of these rigs. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is the plastic chassis potentially cracking once I get brave jumping. But it also seems like the aluminum 6S chassis bends as well. Any feedback is much appreciated. If there are other good threads on this topic please post here and I’ll check those out. Thanks

If you want to do backflips and partake in general tomfoolery of that sort, an Outcast 4S may be more your style. The Kraton is really wide and super stable at speed, but the chassis is much longer than the Outcast and so it's really not great for backflips unless your ramp is massive.

I have a K4 so that has been my experience. It's also a monster at the track. It has some serious power.

Welcome!! :D

Go 6s. The Notorious 6s is a good trick/jump/bash truck. I send mine 30+ feet in the air and haven't bent the chassis...yet. :ROFLMAO: And you can always run 4s in it.

Def want to invest in @3d-rc.myshopify.com chassis braces. Happy Bashing!! 😁✌️🎅

If you want the economy of the 4S platform but the ruggedness of the 6S, look into the M2C upgraded motor mount/chassis support and their chassis brace. It's a $130 investment. Makes them pretty tough. I have no experience with the 6S trucks. Getting away from the slipper in the 4S and having the center diff in the 6S is a major consideration too.

M2C Motor Mount i would not buy.
Stock is already improved (thicker motorplate from factory) and should/could further improved with 3dprinted-motor-support and the end of the motorcan or some 3M-Pads under the motorcan. (1$).
M2C Bash-Bar under the chassis could be usefull, yes.

I don't get all the chassis complaints - sure there are some (@razorrc especially) who have had bad luck but aside from the extreme bashers I haven't had an inkling of a problem. I know, I know, just another anecdote. Only issue I have had so far is the center driveshaft blew up because I got a rock stuck somewhere in the way and it "carved" the shaft right in half from the spinning motion. Also it's easy to get a rock stuck inside the servo area and it sucks to get em out, so you lose steering and possibly fry the servo. Also the servo _sucks_ like with most RTRs so that'll eventually be a good excuse to get a new one.

That being said if you have the space and the finances, hell, grab the 6S and run it on 4S! Then get a 6S LiPo later if you want. That's what I do on my 4S with my 3S batteries I use in my Rustler. The 6S is undoubtedly a tougher beast - just ditching the slipper for a center diff (as @Puddlejumpernva pointed out) is a huge improvement.

I don't get all the chassis complaints - sure there are some (@razorrc especially) who have had bad luck but aside from the extreme bashers I haven't had an inkling of a problem. I know, I know, just another anecdote. Only issue I have had so far is the center driveshaft blew up because I got a rock stuck somewhere in the way and it "carved" the shaft right in half from the spinning motion. Also it's easy to get a rock stuck inside the servo area and it sucks to get em out, so you lose steering and possibly fry the servo. Also the servo _sucks_ like with most RTRs so that'll eventually be a good excuse to get a new one.

That being said if you have the space and the finances, hell, grab the 6S and run it on 4S! Then get a 6S LiPo later if you want. That's what I do on my 4S with my 3S batteries I use in my Rustler. The 6S is undoubtedly a tougher beast - just ditching the slipper for a center diff (as @Puddlejumpernva pointed out) is a huge improvement.
Yup . you have a good point . I sometimes run my Mojave / Talion / Senton (6s) in my backyard on 4s and it always surprises me how good these tanks go on 4s !!!! This is a tough call cause the new 4s lineup is really fast on 4s , but if you want to drop down to 3s to tame it down you can do so also . I will have to admit , I am one who until recently ( new 4s lineup ) was totally against their 3 and 4s platforms , to much plastic / slipper clutch / cheap shocks / etc , but now would someday entertain getting a 4s Kraton . It is true , if you get enough height going with a 6s rig , eventually you're gonna bend the chassis , and an M2C would be the best fix / remedy IMO . But if you drive with some resistance to "sending" it . a 6s rig will be very durable and reliable for you .

Heck , just go right for a Mojave !!!! LOL Arrmas toughest out of the box trucks !!!!

If your ground is relatively smooth, 4S with M2C chassis brace would be fine. If it's rough (which I'm guessing it is), the 6S will be better and go a little further jumping it. Speed-wise, they're actually fairly similar, the 6S is just bigger and heavier.

I think durability-wise, a 4S with the brace will be similar to a regular (non-EXB) Kraton 6S. Maybe even better if you don't mind some nicks and stuff.

If your ground is relatively smooth, 4S with M2C chassis brace would be fine. If it's rough (which I'm guessing it is), the 6S will be better and go a little further jumping it. Speed-wise, they're actually fairly similar, the 6S is just bigger and heavier.

I think durability-wise, a 4S with the brace will be similar to a regular (non-EXB) Kraton 6S. Maybe even better if you don't mind some nicks and stuff.
Watching your vids and reviews on the new 4s , you don't baby it !!! Those jumps you do get some air !!! At first in your vids on them , I was getting the feeling you didn't like them as you showed surprise on breaking chassis .

JSnook , one thing for sure is that you're getting back into the hobby , will not result in just one RC !!!!! LOL You will soon realize the lineup ( at least Arrma ) has that are all a little different and do things better than one another and that will lead to a collection starting !!!

Thanks for the feedback!! I didn’t know Arrma existed 2 weeks ago. My background is I used to race kit Losi 1/10 stadium trucks in middle school and crazy into it. Raced every Saturday they held a race. Got my team associated 1/8 buggy RC8.2e RTR years ago for a basher. Going to 4wd and 1/8 was so much fun. I still definitely want something fast with reasonable handling but I’ve also never owed anything that’s good for backflips. I’m not looking to go 25’ in the air and do 4 backflips.

Watching a ton of YouTube but with zero actual experience, the 4S looks like it’s almost as big as the 6S, fast, agile and capable of doing a backflip or 2 easily out of the box. I’ve watched the same ones you guy probably have and it looks like it takes a beating unless you slap the chassis really hard or an uneven hard surface. For the price RTR it looks like a really fun option and easy to work on. Ease of maintenance and repairs is a big deal for me. Have a baby and another on the way lol

The 6S looks very similar but with more earth moving power. The EXB 1/8 roller looks so awesome and the same price I can get the 4S RTR. I just don’t know if my Reedy 3-4S ESC, 2000KV motor and 4S 5200mah 35C lipos will be enough for a heavier 6S platform. Budget is also a factor. Trying to stay $500 tops for at least a few months before considering upgrades
JSnook , one thing for sure is that you're getting back into the hobby , will not result in just one RC !!!!! LOL You will soon realize the lineup ( at least Arrma ) has that are all a little different and do things better than one another and that will lead to a collection starting !!!
Likely not due to limited time and budget but who knows. This is my “if I can only buy one” RC.. for now!

Watching your vids and reviews on the new 4s , you don't baby it !!! Those jumps you do get some air !!! At first in your vids on them , I was getting the feeling you didn't like them as you showed surprise on breaking chassis .

Thanks, bigger than some, smaller than others.

The chassis breaks more than most 4S cars (all of them, really), but the M2C brace fixes that fortunately.

Good insight. My yard is flat but parts are rough/choppy. I invested in a nice suspension seat for my zero turn mower to put in perspective. Considering that the heavier 6S platform would probably handle better.

Yep! Then the question becomes do you get the EXB roller and throw in my 4S electronics or get the RTR 6S and run 4S lipos(until I purchase 6S lipos). Is the EXB version that much stronger than the RTR V5?

Build a tank like I did! 😂
20220708_194920.jpg

Good insight. My yard is flat but parts are rough/choppy. I invested in a nice suspension seat for my zero turn mower to put in perspective. Considering that the heavier 6S platform would probably handle better.

Yep! Then the question becomes do you get the EXB roller and throw in my 4S electronics or get the RTR 6S and run 4S lipos(until I purchase 6S lipos). Is the EXB version that much stronger than the RTR V5?

The 6S is also just physically bigger and able to handle bigger terrain and also has bigger tires.

BTW, 10% off everything right now at amain, code BF1022, affiliate link: https://bit.ly/3JGqEcM

The 6S is also just physically bigger and able to handle bigger terrain and also has bigger tires.

BTW, 10% off everything right now at amain, code BF1022, affiliate link: https://bit.ly/3JGqEcM
Yea my acre is graded but still rough. Leaning Kraton 6S RTR. Do you think 4S 35C lipos are safe to run in it? I’ll definitely get 6S lipos later but ya know.. boss lady will not be happy if I drop $600+ right now

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back