New Redcat Gen Scout crawler pics, specs, and price.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decline.
That's what I thought:LOL: I am just breaking your shoes.:)
k thanks... guess im gonna go with the axial then.. its for my son but i will prob start modding it so might as well have a good platform...
ABSOLUTELY (y)
20191205_165955.jpg

Last edited:
Redcat cant' hold a candle to Traxxasss with TRX4. Don't let that Axe system fool you. This Gen 8 is way overpriced. The Gen 8 hype fizzled out.
The Axe system is flawed. HW doesn't sell many. So they are offing it to Gen8 Redcat.
Understand that i am not a Traxxas fan. But I am into Crawlers...;) I have different brands including a TRX4 hand me down giveaway.
Redcat may work for you though.:unsure:
Redcat is a China rebranded product co. The Gen 8 was originally plagued with issues. Who would invest into a more expensive version because it has BL and other "goodies". Redcat has not improved the Steering geometry and a few other tranny output shaft issues. But if you like the way it looks on the shelf that's ok. :LOL:
Even though their history prior to 2016 involved tweaking/improving rebranded China generics pretty much across most of their line, the Gen 8 was designed, developed and prototyped in the USA by Redcat. It's not a cookie cutter generic by any means

Even though their history prior to 2016 involved tweaking/improving rebranded China generics pretty much across most of their line, the Gen 8 was designed, developed and prototyped in the USA by Redcat. It's not a cookie cutter generic by any means
If you look inside the receiver box the names of the engineers are molded into the plastic. Nice little touch, I think.

I have owned 2 Redcats. The Company stinks. Cust. Supp. and tech supp.. Their marketing hype can't fool me. I already tested those waters. Moved on. Never looked back. :LOL: Engineers names?????:ROFLMAO:

I can respect that. I own a couple Redcats but I'm a little biased having met the owner. Really cool guy, so I decided to support his company. Granted they were bought for my daughter and aren't anywhere near Arrma tough, they've served their purpose well.

If you feel connected with the company, I respect that and I would never burst your bubble. Forgive me for being honest however. I am not the be all end all. I can just offer my honest experience. And it was a horrible one. And Crawlers are not in the Arrma category. No comparisons being made here.:) My hard earned dollars would never go to Redcat again. My son received his first Redcat as a gift from a relative when he was very young. Perhaps being a stepping stone for him was a consolation. My son is 10 and he now drives his 6S Noto. pretty well. But Rcat parts and breakage and then parts on B/O. Dealing with RCat on the phone. Nitpicking with me. Waiting months for ordered parts. I ended up buying a second one for the parts. I did the math. It was cheaper to buy another. Truly not a Hobbyist grade company to me. IMO. Many people love them. Something for everyone guess.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind the restrictions of the Axe system. You can't mix and match motors/esc. Its either stick with the Axe motor and ESC or remove them both and replace. That being said, from all the talk in the two crawling groups I'm in on Facebook, The axe system is super good and highly recommended.
The Gen 8's HW Axe system is only 2300KV. It is a 540 Can motor( $111.00). The 2700KV and 3300KV (550 can motors) optionally available motors are $130.00 from HW USA Direct. You are stuck with an Axe motor or change out the Axe ESC and motor combo for another type/brand. I think most crawlers including the Gen 8 would benefit from a 2700KV and higher motor, if "brushed" motors are not an option for you.
And, does a 550 Can 2700kv and 3300kv Axe motor even fit in the Gen 8? I think probably not. Do I have to buy a Gen 8 Axe to prove my point?:LOL: My point is that although the Gen 8 Axe incorporates an expensive ESC/motor combo, it is a closed system. And perhaps limited in many regards considering its a $500.00 Crawler from Redcat, a company with poor support. I can't fault Redcats efforts. But effort doesn't always equate to success. The first Gen8 was a mess. Sales petered out well after the much hyped release a year ago. So they needed a gimmick to make a new one at $500.00.
I welcome opposing views with proof to back it. I am not always right. Just posing the argument to those with an actual Gen 8 Axe and have had experience with many other different Crawlers from RTR to build kits.

The Gen 8's HW Axe system is only 2300KV. It is a 540 Can motor( $111.00). The 2700KV and 3300KV (550 can motors) optionally available motors are $130.00 from HW USA Direct. You are stuck with an Axe motor or change out the Axe ESC and motor combo for another type/brand. I think most crawlers including the Gen 8 would benefit from a 2700KV and higher motor, if "brushed" motors are not an option for you.
And, does a 550 Can 2700kv and 3300kv Axe motor even fit in the Gen 8? I think probably not. Do I have to buy a Gen 8 Axe to prove my point?:LOL: My point is that although the Gen 8 Axe incorporates an expensive ESC/motor combo, it is a closed system. And perhaps limited in many regards considering its a $500.00 Crawler from Redcat, a company with poor support. I can't fault Redcats efforts. But effort doesn't always equate to success. The first Gen8 was a mess. Sales petered out well after the much hyped release a year ago. So they needed a gimmick to make a new one at $500.00.
I welcome opposing views with proof to back it. I am not always right. Just posing the argument to those with an actual Gen 8 Axe and have had experience with many other different Crawlers from RTR to build kits.
A 550 can does fit in the Gen 8. I have a Holmes Hobbies 550 brushed motor in my Gen 8.

I also do agree that the Hobbywing AXE system doesn't seem to be as refined as a Castle system. I have a Castle Mamba X and Tekin ROC412HD 2300kv in my Axial Bomber and my buddy has the 2700kv AXE system in his Axial Wraith and I can tell the low end smoothness of the two systems night and day and am happy that I decided against the closed Hobbywing system for all of my rigs, since I have considered them a couple of times.

I think that the 2300kv is the right call for the vehicle though. I bought a 2280kv Castle Mamba X system as well as a 2850kv Castle Mamba X system and the 2850kv is pretty dang fast and I am actually taking the motor out and putting in a 1800kv Holmes Hobbies Revolver. The 2850kv may do well in the Gen 8 though due to the extra gear reduction of the portal axles but I don't have another ESC so I'm not going to try it.

I like to try new rigs. Sometimes against my better judgement. That's why I seem critical of the Gen 8 Axe. I like Crawlers of all types, yet narrowed down my preference and thus own what I own in Crawlers. Any Crawler can be modded and upgraded to completely different animals at a considerable price.
I would rather spend $900. on a Kraton 8s than $500.00 on another Redcat that still uses VELCRO for the body. Again, no comparison between the two. But dollar for dollar Hobby wise The 8S wins along with many other Models out there. Just because Redcat put a $200. Ferrari engine in their $300. Ford Pinto doesn't make it any great bargain. IMO. The first Gen 8 was the bargain if there was one despite its flaws. The new added esc, motor, radio, and servo doesn't temp me. But it is a great first Crawler for many. I understand the Redcat Marketing here. Perhaps there are bragging rights with all those goodies, albeit at $500. :unsure: The concept of a RTR Crawler with a Brushless is innovative. Other brands will probably join in and that's a good thing. Holmes Hobbies all the way. But I'm more into his brushed line of motors. They are unequaled in the industry.(y)

Last edited:
i gave my buddy a gen8 scout ii and we love it. Few dollars for magnet body mounts and done. The axe is a little high in price.

I love my redcat be6s, but it is a team magic bes ?

I'll pass on that. Or anything RedCat.
Stay away from the low end stuff and you will be fine. The Gen 7, Gen 8 and Team Redcat models are all I would even look at. Everything else is cheap China rebrands.
TR MT8E and TR MT10E are both rebrands of Team Magic, they actually make really good rcs and the TR SCT10 is a rebranded Ofna Jammin SCRT10. They finally decided to rebrand models that weren't complete garbage.

Last edited:
I just picked up the axe last week and I have to say it is a great bang for the buck. 15mph is plenty fast for a crawler. The axe system is not the best but plenty enough for this thing. Reefs 400oz servo has zero issues even with me leaning on the front end. Flysky gt5 is a great rtr radio,bead lock rims are a bonus. 2 point I will complain about. Foams are too hard and rear bumper is too long. Both very easily fixed. There really is nothing you need to do to this rig other then fine tune it to your liking.

Just got a regular V8 Scout for my son. If he takes to the sport I will probably mod it to the specs of the AXE. If anyone has any advice for tools I would really appreciate it!

Here is the list I have so far:

• Hex set and other hand tools with handles. (Any recommendation of a brand that is quality (Most important) but not too expensive? I have plenty of allen wrenches but I think the tools are more specified? I have CPE (http://teamcpe.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=134_144&product_id=2455), EDS, Team Associated and MIP as Brands that are good quality. Any others?)
    • I assume it is best to get them with individual handles than a set with one handle.
  • Hex set that fits a drill (Which brand is great in quality but not so costly)
  • Drill (Is there a spefic type I should use? I have a Rigid ½” chuck hammer screw gun, but that may be too powerful? Will this work? RAQUL Rechargeable Cordless Screwdriver with USB Charger and LED Light,3.6V 1800mAh 3~10N.m Electric/Manual 2-in-1 Portable Electric Drill Hand Tool (https://www.amazon.com/RAQUL-Rechar...wdriver&qid=1607019949&sr=8-6&tag=googhydr-20))
  • Needle nose pliers (I already have thexe. Many of them in fact)
  • Small tubes of E6000 glue. They sell 'em in a pkg of 3 or 4. Used over drywall tape it will patch up cracks in your lexan body. (Which version should I buy? there is a yellow and grey one and there may be others.)
  • Thread-locker medium strength (Purple Permatex?)
  • Curved Hemostat for holding nuts in awkward places (have these as well)
  • Good soldering iron (Already have for electronic soldering, unless a specified version is necessary)
  • Most automotive grease, so get a tube or tub (Which grease should I use? I heard some use marine grease?)
  • 30wt shock oil (No other weights needed? I have read that some use 40 for everything.)
  • Spare bearings, screws, nuts (What size, which brand? Lost on this.)
  • Xacto knives and blades, specifically #11 blades
  • Hot glue Gun
  • Dremel
  • Pocket or laser Thermometer
  • Little tub of silicon O ring grease for sealing waterproof receiver boxes
  • A selection of cable & Velcro ties
  • A fishing tackle box & Plano
  • 5 in. Micro Flush Cutters (https://www.harborfreight.com/micro-flush-cutter-90708.html)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back