New rigs for 2021?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?worth the time.

I'm about 20 minutes in right now...

So far:

I can appreciate how he does participate on social media and forums
I can appreciate the frustration with lead times in engineering/production
I disagree with his assessment that the EXB open diff was just "a QC issue" - that was their first spin when they claimed it was the 0.7-0.8 mm of shims needed between the cross pin and the diff cup/ring gear - but then their solution was to add LSD plates or shim the gap under the sun gear which means that it WAS a design issue and not a QC issue.

Absolutely - I give them props for that, but let's not get all revisionist history here. As a design engineer that's filed plenty of defects/change requests and done plenty of ECOs, it's a part of life - but if your RCA shows that it's a design flaw, then own that as well - don't blame it on the factory not being able to keep tolerances.

Very good interview.

From the sound of it, the 4S line revision will probably be major. Maybe they will completely redesign the chassis and add a center diff? That would be nice.

I´m still hoping for a 6S SWB truggy. If it happens, I’m buying one. If it doesn’t, I’ll build one myself.

Speculating about new models is a lot of fun! :)

Just watched it, great interview. 4s line currently being tested, updated upgrades. Debut pushed back a bit, Jason says sometime in April to June. Need to save some coin, 2021 may be a repeat of 2019 or even better.

Very good interview.

From the sound of it, the 4S line revision will probably be major. Maybe they will completely redesign the chassis and add a center diff? That would be nice.

I´m still hoping for a 6S SWB truggy. If it happens, I’m buying one. If it doesn’t, I’ll build one myself.

Speculating about new models is a lot of fun! :)
You might be waiting a really long time for that wish list. They just retooled the chassis for the V3 3S line. Expect that to be the chassis for a while. That costs a lot of money to redesign. It won’t be happening again any time soon.

As for a CD, that’s not happening since they fixed the slipper issues with the V3 nut. He talks about the V3 having a 4S slipper now, so we know that means the V3 is the status quo going forward.

What I would look for is possibly a different body for the 4S line, like a Mojave or Talion. Possibly an all road Infraction or Felony.

You might be waiting a really long time for that wish list. They just retooled the chassis for the V3 3S line. Expect that to be the chassis for a while. That costs a lot of money to redesign. It won’t be happening again any time soon.

As for a CD, that’s not happening since they fixed the slipper issues with the V3 nut. He talks about the V3 having a 4S slipper now, so we know that means the V3 is the status quo going forward.

What I would look for is possibly a different body for the 4S line, like a Mojave or Talion. Possibly an all road Infraction or Felony.

You are probably right on all counts, if you assume the 4S line will remain a "3S Plus".

Didn't Jason D. talk about a Foundation Year, or something like that, for the 4S line in 2021 in the interview? That's why I am speculating that the 4S line may very well have an entirely new design and chassis. Sooner or later, the 4S line will need a center diff IMO.

You are still probably right, but I wonder what could be done to the 4S to make it a Foundation Year.

Absolutely - I give them props for that, but let's not get all revisionist history here. As a design engineer that's filed plenty of defects/change requests and done plenty of ECOs, it's a part of life - but if your RCA shows that it's a design flaw, then own that as well - don't blame it on the factory not being able to keep tolerances.
It was a QC issue from the standpoint that the rig as initially designed worked well and they didn’t have these failures in testing. If it had shipped with the designed thickness and quality of shims they would not have had these problems. I agree that the QC issues with the shims revealed a design weakness which they fixed with the 1.9mm spacer. So... both?

I continue to be impressed with this company and Jason Deardon. They have made mistakes and had problems but I am impressed by how they respond.

Did you catch Jason’s dig at Traxxas? “We would rather focus on the core RTR vehicle than produce a weaker RTR and a load of upgrades.” (Paraphrasing from memory) Zing. I agree.

My bank account is ready for it. I never picked up a 4s rig because I already have 3s and 6s rigs. But I have a feeling this revision will change my mind. A talion style 4s would be ok in my book. Hoping for some beefier diffs to maybe handle 6s power? That might be asking for too much lol

I’m getting impatient. They released a new 3s instead of focusing on the 4s line release

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back