New Rocket 4092 1650kv motor feels like it's dragging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowmandk

Reaction score
So I just got my new Rocket 4092 1650kv to replace the 4082 in my Kraton EXB.

Installed it with a 17t pinion and took it out for a run, plenty of power as expected.
The problem I am having is that the motor feels like it has a constant drag brake active, the car just doesn't roll freely after letting off the throttle as it did with every other motor I ran previously.
With the 4082 the car would roll very far and freely, with the 4092 it just comes to a standstill after a few meters.

The drivetrain is absolutely free and smooth, I had just done a big service on the Kraton and it's got new bearings all around and everything is rolling nicely without the motor (and with the 4082). Nothing is rubbing on any driveshafts or whatever.

The motor itself is brand new, just changed the bearings and there isn't anything inside the can rubbing the rotor or anything like that.

So I guess my question is, is this just how this motor feels because of its construction/size of magnets or rotor?
Anyone else with this particular motor experience anything similar?

Internal short that constitutes to that "dragging" feel? But would that not cause any other symptoms?
I put a few packs through the motor just for the hell of it, but so far it seems to run fine except I really don't like how it feels with all that drag...

BTW, it does this with the batteries unplugged too.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
My guess is that the esc needs to be retuned to the new motor. Every motor is a little different and the ESC will need to be calibrated and set to match up with the motor for your driving preference.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not aware of any way to tune/calibrate a motor to an esc (except for the Hobbywing axe/fusion and castle for torque-limiting).

I am running a Max 6.

If you mean the esc calibration function, that has nothing to do with the motor.
It just calibrates the throttle limits and I have not changed the rx/tx, still running my Noble NB4.

Did you manually turn both rotors by hand to feel difference in resistance? My Hobbywing 4985 1650kv has a LOT more resistance than my Leopard 4082 2000kv and stops quicker when I go from power to neutral on the transmitter.
EDIT: I lowered the brake % on the Max6 to compensate a bit for this.

Yeah, can't really tell a difference when turning them by hand.

Interesting you mention the 4985, I had one a few month ago and unfortunately sold it.
But I also kind of remember it being somewhat similar in feel to the 4092, with a lot more resistance when rolling off power.

Maybe its normal and I am just not used to a motor like that anymore, but I didn't expect such a big difference between the 4082 (1720kv) and 4092 (1650kv).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back