Senton New Senton 4X4, a few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbob951

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. 4x4-Mega
Hey all, went to the LHS yesterday and picked up the Senton 4X4 in blue! Haven't run it yet, hopefully will do that at lunch today. Kit looks great so far, I'm excited to see what it's capable of!

h01vfTwl.jpg

GPaALhvl.jpg

The modeler in me couldn't resist making the faux beadlocker pop out a bit... just a few dabs of silver paint for those beadlock screws.

YKEjh96l.jpg

I was wondering about the differentials in this truck. I see throughout the forum where people are shimming the diffs to prevent uneven and premature wear, is that something I need to do with this truck? The descriptions on Tower Hobbies specifically says these diffs do not need any special shimming or tuning, but I wanted to see what you lot had to say.

I know that the shimming of the diffs is big for the 6s 1/8th vehicles but I do not know about these vehicles. I am also guessing since these are a brand new design that it won't really be known yet. It doesn't hurt to open them up and check them out to see if there is slop to determine if they should be shimmed. I am guessing with it being a 2s brushed vehicle that it will be just fine without shimming though.

Congrats on the new truck!

When you read Senton threads, be sure you know if they are talking about the MEGA or the 6S BLX - they are 100% different trucks. Not even the tires will swap over.

Looking forward to hearing how the truck runs! :)
That is a very good point @Jerry-rigged about the two being completely different vehicles. I often forget that not everybody knows that they are 100% different. It still boggles my mind why they gave it the Senton name when nothing is the same between the two models.

@WoodiE - I know you're busy but whenever you get a chance would you want to create new sections for the new Voltage vehicles as well as a new section to differentiate the two Senton models?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Had an opportunity to run the truck at lunch, and I'm very impressed! Sorry I didn't get any photos of the truck running, but I was a bit busy. Even with stock NiMH power, this truck has plenty of giddy-up for a newb, I'd guess the 30mph claim is not overy-imaginative! The run time was a solid 15 minutes with lots of top speed running.

I found the handling on pavement particularly impressive, very planted and easy to control without being sluggish. Also ran through some grass and leaves, did an admirable job with that as well, considering the smaller tires. Found some handicap access sidewalk ramps to hop off of, and it was remarkably balanced in the air and landed flat and controlled each time. Even on pavement at full chat, the truck never rolled, but did poke that front inside wheel in the air a few times on corner exit. :)

Only negative I could think of relates to the stadium truck body, any and all debris picked up by the tires wound up in the chassis. I worry slightly about long-term reliability of drivetrain components when exposed to all that debris. I think I'll actually put some heat shrink tubing around the telescoping section of the driveshaft, maybe that'll help?

Anyway, very impressed after my first outing, looking forward to many more fun lunch sessions. Time to pony up for a LiPo soon!

@WoodiE - I know you're busy but whenever you get a chance would you want to create new sections for the new Voltage vehicles as well as a new section to differentiate the two Senton models?
Absolutely! In fact the moderators and I have been having this same discussion in our staff forum as well. I'll add something soon!

Had an opportunity to run the truck at lunch, and I'm very impressed! Sorry I didn't get any photos of the truck running, but I was a bit busy. Even with stock NiMH power, this truck has plenty of giddy-up for a newb, I'd guess the 30mph claim is not overy-imaginative! The run time was a solid 15 minutes with lots of top speed running.

I found the handling on pavement particularly impressive, very planted and easy to control without being sluggish. Also ran through some grass and leaves, did an admirable job with that as well, considering the smaller tires. Found some handicap access sidewalk ramps to hop off of, and it was remarkably balanced in the air and landed flat and controlled each time. Even on pavement at full chat, the truck never rolled, but did poke that front inside wheel in the air a few times on corner exit. :)

Only negative I could think of relates to the stadium truck body, any and all debris picked up by the tires wound up in the chassis. I worry slightly about long-term reliability of drivetrain components when exposed to all that debris. I think I'll actually put some heat shrink tubing around the telescoping section of the driveshaft, maybe that'll help?

Anyway, very impressed after my first outing, looking forward to many more fun lunch sessions. Time to pony up for a LiPo soon!
Make a chassis shroud. Some Nylon screen works well, as do shower caps.

That's a great idea, I'll look into that!
It's a new truck still so I doubt there are any direct fit chassis shrouds being made yet. I'm sure you could send a message to Dusty Motors or Outwears and see if they have plans to release a shroud.

Looking at the dimensions, it appears to be roughly the same size (+/- 10mm for every dimension according to the Arrma website) as the Senton BLX 6S. So I would think that a shroud designed for the Senton BLX 6S would work for these newer ones.

Looking at the dimensions, it appears to be roughly the same size (+/- 10mm for every dimension according to the Arrma website) as the Senton BLX 6S. So I would think that a shroud designed for the Senton BLX 6S would work for these newer ones.
I was going to suggest one from a Traxxas Stampede 4x4.

Looks like T-Bone Racing offers the universal fitment versions of the Dusty Motors shroud for us stateside folks... I'll take some measurements tonight, looks like a good option!

Any chance you could measure the length of the shocks from eye to eye? I have some spare shocks that I may keep for when I get this truck. Can already see that as my first upgrade.

Any chance you could measure the length of the shocks from eye to eye? I have some spare shocks that I may keep for when I get this truck. Can already see that as my first upgrade.
I measured the shocks last night, rear shocks are 115mm eye-to-eye, and front are 105mm. This was measured with the shocks removed from the truck. Not sure what oil weights are used, but the rear are definitely more damped than the front.

Nice work and thank you for the measurements. That 115 mm shock could be a tough one to find. Any chance you can tell how thick of a shock can fit?

If it comes with the Ads5 servo, I will be the first to tell you, purchase an upgrade now. Mine didnt last 10 mins first run. Truck was great performance first 9 mins though lol. Love its speed and performance out the box. The Nimh battery and its charger is quite convenient vs lipo charging. Love this truck gave it to my 5 y/o. The Kraton is mines

Looks like T-Bone Racing offers the universal fitment versions of the Dusty Motors shroud for us stateside folks... I'll take some measurements tonight, looks like a good option!
Wondering if you got anywhere on a cover? I used a hotel shower cap for a few runs and it absolutely kept the crud out, but those things don’t breathe, so I’m wondering about the heat issue when the weather warms up.
Nice part about the Mega’s..... that “tub” chassis is really simple to pull something over (shower cap, for example).
Oh..... running with the Granite tires helped too. I’m really thinking about cutting the front of the rear fenders out a little bit, because this thing looks SICK with the big ‘ol wheels and tires on it. With the longer Senton wheel base and the Granite tires, this thing is stable, stable, stable.

Attachments

• 1754306D-6BF4-4B89-9872-B64546FEB511.jpeg
    1754306D-6BF4-4B89-9872-B64546FEB511.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 5249AA04-E0BE-4CEA-875A-C0E64BBFD056.jpeg
    5249AA04-E0BE-4CEA-875A-C0E64BBFD056.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 117
Hey Bmansdad, I actually did go for the cover, worked out beautifully. I got it through T-Bone Racing, ordered the universal fit medium size. I'm only running half the side guard extensions because they wouldn't fit under the shroud. Also, I had to cut the bottom edge of the shroud where the side impact bars attach, I wanted to keep those. If you do like I did, be careful, the mesh material is extremely delicate when its cut! I reinforced it with hot glue after cutting, it's holding up great. I have run it about 6 times with the shroud in place with 2S, no heat problems. Ran it in the snow, kept everything clean and almost totally dry too!

Now I have a question about the Granite wheels and tires, because I've been thinking of trying that. Did you have to change the spur gear? Looks tough as hell with the bigger tires in place.

IMG_20171205_213430342_HDR.jpg IMG_20171205_213507408.jpg IMG_20171209_204419821.jpg IMG_20171209_204627010.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back