Senton New Senton 4x4 (a "mega" version)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I do, but what I like most is upgrading them, repairing them for others and racing and jumping them. I love making them go as fast as possible. I have a couple that have been clock at 80 mph with a radar gun. I have Traxxas, ECX, Yetti, DHK, Arrma and many parts for all. It's a great Hobby and I enjoy it to the fullest.
20171223_183209.jpg
20171210_165700.jpg
20170814_223519.jpg
20170815_222627.jpg
20170815_222559.jpg

Need some help, so I don't actually have one yet, but any second now I will run to the hobby store to get one. Here's the thing. I've been eyeing the Senton 4x4, I love the entry level price and it looks aggressive AF. My only concern is I'm hearing a lot of people already mentioning upgrading this thing. I'm cool with that, but what is the better way to go: Just spend a little more and drop some money on the Senton 6s BLX or get the Senton 4x4 and buy an after market brushless motor and everything else needed to push this thing over 60+? Any help would be awesome. Im currently at the state of just buying the Senton 4x4 version and picking up a brushless with it. I mean I'm sure I'll play with it out of the box and after it's first charge. But I may be doing an engine sway while it charges. he he

I bought the red one 4x4 and upgraded the motor to a Castle 4600K combo, Gen Ace 7200mAh 60C Lipo, big rear tires and did a body lift. Let me tell you, this baby flat ass moves.View attachment 14571 View attachment 14572 View attachment 14573 View attachment 14574 View attachment 14575
Hi Weave, sweat set up. Was their any other set you were thinking about running before you went this route. Is there something faster you wish you would have done?

Hi Carali, I do a lot of experimenting in mods and set-ups. My brushless motors range from 3900 KV to 5700 KV. All my batterys are Gen Ace 7000mAh and 7200mAh. I use all metal transmission and differential gears and were needed metal CV's. I'm really into speed and jumping. I'm going to be installing and testing a 12volt .023 amp brushless fan in my Senton 4x4 that will be running on it's on 3S battery . The fan is 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 and the CMF is 23.0, that's a lot of air flow. That will be the third fan in my Senton. The other two are your standard rc fans which really don't push that much air. I'm a retired journeyman machinist and make most of my attaching parts for add mods. My hobbies are RC, electronics and computers and I enjoy them all immensely as I'm sure you will also as you get into the hobby. When I started in RC I started small and worked my way up. I now have 21 RC vehicles and three Drones. It is a habit, but a fun one. Here where we live we have a place that sells used or overstocked electronics parts
and I buy the things I need for my RC vehicles such as micro switches, fans, ect.
HSC Electronics Supply, www.halted.com is their web site.Will post pictures when the above mod is done.

20180106_224153.jpg

In regards to upgrading this car you have to remember it's an entry level car for kids & beginners. The Senton 6S cost exact twice as much. Concentrating on cost is kind of hard if you have all the parts to upgrade the car like I did. I can put a round figure of $140 to make my Granite 4S & 6S capable. That includes the ESC, motor, shocks, & servo. It doesn't include the battery, tires, or modding materials. But all those parts were spares sitting & collecting dust. It should theoretically reach 72-76mph based on bogus calculations that haven't seen real world action, so I'll drop that down to 58-62mph & that's on 6S.

If you want this car to do 60+, then you'll probably fail. The gearing will never let that happen even with a 27t pinion on 3S, which would overload any 1/10 scale brushless system & generate enough heat to melt the plastic components of the slipper clutch. The car is close to 7lbs with a battery so it will need some serious power to get to that speed.

Arrma will eventually release a brushless version of these cars with all the upgrades that the community is giving them feedback on now. Some of those parts can be seen on Tower Hobbies now. It will probably be in that $330-350 range & claim 60+. That would put it at this car's price + any 1/10 brushless system & that still won't get you to 60+. If you drop s 3S system in the stock rig, & drive frequently you will break stuff frequently. Shock shafts/perches, steering/arm links, diff gears, etc. If you're buying it for the sole purpose of upgrading it to a capable, fast tank then I would wait, or buy the Senton 6S. The OoB experience with that thing left me speechless :eek:

Last edited:
Need some help, so I don't actually have one yet, but any second now I will run to the hobby store to get one. Here's the thing. I've been eyeing the Senton 4x4, I love the entry level price and it looks aggressive AF. My only concern is I'm hearing a lot of people already mentioning upgrading this thing. I'm cool with that, but what is the better way to go: Just spend a little more and drop some money on the Senton 6s BLX or get the Senton 4x4 and buy an after market brushless motor and everything else needed to push this thing over 60+? Any help would be awesome. Im currently at the state of just buying the Senton 4x4 version and picking up a brushless with it. I mean I'm sure I'll play with it out of the box and after it's first charge. But I may be doing an engine sway while it charges. he he

As a Typhon owner, I'd say get the BLX 6s Senton. but then, I am biased.

But really, the 6s platform is a TANK. The only thing that will be holding you back from 60mph in the Senton BLX6s is aerodynamics of the Short course body.

Yeah, it is twice the price. But, full metal driveline. Big Aluminum shocks. Aluminum chassis and shock tower. Even the plastic parts and turnbuckles are huge beefy. Buy once, cry once, and then bash long time. :)

Good evening Carali, well I installed the 12 volt fan and an auxiliary 3S 50c plane battery in my Senton 4x4 . I added a micro switch so I can turn the fan on an off as I wish. I ran the truck for about 25 minutes at full bore up and down the street (I do street racing) and then brought the truck in the shop and read the temperature of the motor and esc with my infrared thermometer and to my surprise the temperature of the motor was 85 degrees and the esc was 82 degrees, compared to 145 and 125 . This was all done right after shutdown of the truck. As the thuck sat the temperatures went up to 109 degrees, proof that the 12 volt fan does add and keep things cooler. It pushs 24.0 CMF, that's a lot of air for a confined space.
The truck was clocked at 47.8 mph on a police radar gun ( my wife's side of the family is in law in enforcement), that's pretty fast for a 4x4 truck running stock gearing and 3S LiPo and brushless motor.
There a lot of things you can do to RC vehicles, you just have to use your imagination and ingenuity, you just need to know what you want your vehicle to do. My first fast RC truck, Traxxas Slash, cost me $ 486.00 with all the goodies and was clocked at 72.3 mph with a radar gun. That's when I decided to buy cheap and upgraded myself and save a little money. I love doing upgrades and do a lot of upgrades and repairs for the kids and some adults.
20180110_154802.jpg
20180110_190404.jpg
20180110_190423.jpg
20180110_154808.jpg
20180110_193134.jpg
20180110_193527.jpg
20180110_171322.jpg

OK, so my second quote of your post... LOL

But quoted to post this link to Megasty's Granite thread -
https://arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-granite-4x4-6s-blx.5556/#post-54010

Remember the Senton 4x4 MEGA is the same platform, and you will need to do the same or similar mods to this to *hopefully* be able to handle the power needed for a 60mph goal.

Or buy the Senton BLX6s, change the pinion, drop in a 6s, and let it rip.

Edit - and I completely understand the desire to modify like Megasty is doing, if that is your thing... I love that thread, and his mods and creativity. But, you gotta know what you are getting into.

Hi Carali, I do a lot of experimenting in mods and set-ups. My brushless motors range from 3900 KV to 5700 KV. All my batterys are Gen Ace 7000mAh and 7200mAh. I use all metal transmission and differential gears and were needed metal CV's. I'm really into speed and jumping. I'm going to be installing and testing a 12volt .023 amp brushless fan in my Senton 4x4 that will be running on it's on 3S battery . The fan is 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 and the CMF is 23.0, that's a lot of air flow. That will be the third fan in my Senton. The other two are your standard rc fans which really don't push that much air. I'm a retired journeyman machinist and make most of my attaching parts for add mods. My hobbies are RC, electronics and computers and I enjoy them all immensely as I'm sure you will also as you get into the hobby. When I started in RC I started small and worked my way up. I now have 21 RC vehicles and three Drones. It is a habit, but a fun one. Here where we live we have a place that sells used or overstocked electronics parts
and I buy the things I need for my RC vehicles such as micro switches, fans, ect.
HSC Electronics Supply, www.halted.com is their web site.Will post pictures when the above mod is done.

Thank you for all that info. I actually went with just the senton 4x4 fun until the servo broke 10 minutes into it. It slowly stopped turning until it would turn only one direction and then nothing at all. Didn’t really no how to test t so read instructions, Reset the system and still nothing. I had some old RV parts from when I was doing this before and came across a Traxxas waterproof servo I think it was the 2075 model. Not sure if that was a bad choice or not but it was new and it seemed to work just fine when I got it all installed. Took a minute since I wasn’t able to find a video on the senton change out but after messin with it for a bit it worked out fine. Not sure if it’s good enough for the truck hopefully it doesn’t overwork it or anything like that. But it worked for now, next step is to upgrade to brushless I’ll most likely go with the castle one that you recommended.

But again that’s for the feedback, by the way I really like your buildout. I’ll have to add a lift to mine as well.

View attachment 14729

Good evening Carali, well I installed the 12 volt fan and an auxiliary 3S 50c plane battery in my Senton 4x4 . I added a micro switch so I can turn the fan on an off as I wish. I ran the truck for about 25 minutes at full bore up and down the street (I do street racing) and then brought the truck in the shop and read the temperature of the motor and esc with my infrared thermometer and to my surprise the temperature of the motor was 85 degrees and the esc was 82 degrees, compared to 145 and 125 . This was all done right after shutdown of the truck. As the thuck sat the temperatures went up to 109 degrees, proof that the 12 volt fan does add and keep things cooler. It pushs 24.0 CMF, that's a lot of air for a confined space.
The truck was clocked at 47.8 mph on a police radar gun ( my wife's side of the family is in law in enforcement), that's pretty fast for a 4x4 truck running stock gearing and 3S LiPo and brushless motor.
There a lot of things you can do to RC vehicles, you just have to use your imagination and ingenuity, you just need to know what you want your vehicle to do. My first fast RC truck, Traxxas Slash, cost me $ 486.00 with all the goodies and was clocked at 72.3 mph with a radar gun. That's when I decided to buy cheap and upgraded myself and save a little money. I love doing upgrades and do a lot of upgrades and repairs for the kids and some adults.View attachment 14749 View attachment 14750 View attachment 14751 View attachment 14752 View attachment 14753 View attachment 14754 View attachment 14755

Definitely above my skill level, but very cool seeing how far someone can take this thing. Like the pics and thanks for the info.

I’m familiar with the Traxxas brand, in the past. Long time ago I’ve had tmaxx 2.5 nitro and then a few years ago I played with the 1/16 scale E-revo super fun it was brushless and after about another $300 in upgrades that thing would fly. Sure wish I didn’t sell it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back