New shell paint job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettjun

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
My old shell has taken a bit of a bashing so I thought I’d have a go at painting one for myself. I think it’s turned out pretty good

F07BEB35-980A-46AA-8AFA-E2B2651708A0.jpeg

My old shell has taken a bit of a bashing so I thought I’d have a go at painting one for myself. I think it’s turned out pretty good

View attachment 151430
Love the blue! Bet it looks better in real life. First time huh? Could you post what you did and how? I’ll be trying to do one myself soon so am reading up on it.

Turned out great @brettjun blue's my favorite color so definitely love the color choice. @Velodromed just look up some YouTube videos on painting lexan bodies that's what I did before painting mine. A couple tips I'd give is make sure to wash body good with like dawn dish soap first, take your time prepping any masking to make sure it lays down right and won't cause bleeds. When spraying make super light coats I mean like you can hardly see them light coats. I really like the spaz stick paints and they have a lot of great colors. After applying a good 4 light coats give it all a good look over for any light spots like cracks and corners. For lighter colors get a white backer to brighten them up for darker use black backer. If you go with spaz stix any of the candy colors you need to do light coats of main color then couple light coats of silver metallic then main color again and then backer. Like I said check out YouTube and even search painting with spaz stix there's some good videos for reference.

Turned out great @brettjun blue's my favorite color so definitely love the color choice. @Velodromed just look up some YouTube videos on painting lexan bodies that's what I did before painting mine. A couple tips I'd give is make sure to wash body good with like dawn dish soap first, take your time prepping any masking to make sure it lays down right and won't cause bleeds. When spraying make super light coats I mean like you can hardly see them light coats. I really like the spaz stick paints and they have a lot of great colors. After applying a good 4 light coats give it all a good look over for any light spots like cracks and corners. For lighter colors get a white backer to brighten them up for darker use black backer. If you go with spaz stix any of the candy colors you need to do light coats of main color then couple light coats of silver metallic then main color again and then backer. Like I said check out YouTube and even search painting with spaz stix there's some good videos for reference.
You did perfect man! I’ve seen a lot of videos and read on more than one technique. You added a few common sense things that I missed before. Like the thickness of the spray coat almost being see-through and adding the silver in between. Those I had missed in previous videos and things. Thanks man I greatly appreciate it! This is for my stepdaughter, I ordered a jeep gladiator clear body to fix up her Arrma Voltage with. We’re going to paint it pink…it’s gonna be a very pink jeep.

You did perfect man! I’ve seen a lot of videos and read on more than one technique. You added a few common sense things that I missed before. Like the thickness of the spray coat almost being see-through and adding the silver in between. Those I had missed in previous videos and things. Thanks man I greatly appreciate it! This is for my stepdaughter, I ordered a jeep gladiator clear body to fix up her Arrma Voltage with. We’re going to paint it pink…it’s gonna be a very pink jeep.
No problem man 👍 nice post some pics when it's all done, bet she loves it!

Love the blue! Bet it looks better in real life. First time huh? Could you post what you did and how? I’ll be trying to do one myself soon so am reading up on it.
Of course i will explain what I did. I marked out what I wanted on the outside with a marker pen. Easily removed if it’s not what you like after marking it out. I then used a flake as my first coat. Then I taped along the lines I’ve marked out. On the inside of the body. Once happy with what I wanted. I taped off the purple areas as I didn’t want that coming out blue. I then put blue over the flake. A couple of good coats of it. Then after the blue had dried I put purple over the back of it. What you see is what it came out like. Make sure the edges of the tape are stuck down or the paint will bleed underneath the tape. I know this as my other body I’ve done has bled under the tape and it don’t look great. To make it stronger and more robust for me to crash (happens a lot). I used some mesh then a flexible rubber type stuff over the mesh. Which does really help In keeping the body in one piece. If you need anymore questions answering I’m sure I can help.

Of course i will explain what I did. I marked out what I wanted on the outside with a marker pen. Easily removed if it’s not what you like after marking it out. I then used a flake as my first coat. Then I taped along the lines I’ve marked out. On the inside of the body. Once happy with what I wanted. I taped off the purple areas as I didn’t want that coming out blue. I then put blue over the flake. A couple of good coats of it. Then after the blue had dried I put purple over the back of it. What you see is what it came out like. Make sure the edges of the tape are stuck down or the paint will bleed underneath the tape. I know this as my other body I’ve done has bled under the tape and it don’t look great. To make it stronger and more robust for me to crash (happens a lot). I used some mesh then a flexible rubber type stuff over the mesh. Which does really help In keeping the body in one piece. If you need anymore questions answering I’m sure I can help.
Thanks! Just one silly question…what is flake?
I figure it’s a type of paint? Or is it something that helps accent the paint?

Last edited:

I figure it’s a type of paint? Or is it something that helps accent the paint?
It's a type of paint that has metal flake in it to give a like sparkle effect or like a metallic effect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back